http://jeffhoogland....linux-lead.html

A big thank you to everyone who contributes to Bodhi Linux

#2 Sitting Fox

Sitting Fox

• Team
  • 551 posts

Posted 12 September 2014 - 09:11 PM

Hey Jeff,

Thank you very much for your work on Bodhi Linux. You've got a lot of things in life to take care of now, and so it's understandable that something like this has to be done.

Bodhi really got me into Linux, something I had dabbled in a little prior (and wanted to get into), but now I seem to be stuck on it. I can't go back. :lol: I really do hope a new lead can rise to the challenge, as I was hoping to keep using Bodhi 3 in its final release for myself and my family as well as a new hometown project in teaching youth how to code that I'm trying to set up. I can only hope for the best and take it all as it comes. I'll figure it out though.

It's definitely been an Enlightening experience. I know there is so much more for me to learn, but I've gotten this far. I'm very glad.

Whatever happens, again, thanks. :) I wish you all the best, Jeff!

#3 Twilight_Genesis

Twilight_Genesis

• Members
  • 344 posts
  • LocationMissouri, USA

Posted 12 September 2014 - 10:36 PM

Bodhi was what got me into Linux and was the first distro that I used full time, so thank you very much for all the hard work you have put into Bodhi over the years and I wish you well in life and in all your further endeavors.

What does being a lead developer of Bodhi involve doing? ( I don't know if I'd take over, but I'd love to see Bodhi using an Arch Linux base instead of Ubuntu. Which is an idea I'm considering, I just gotta figure out how. ;) )
Please send all complaints to /dev/null

#4 Jack Sparrow

Jack Sparrow

• Members
  • 331 posts

Posted 13 September 2014 - 01:55 AM

Got back home dead from work at 1 o clock in the evening only to hear one of the worst news of my life. My emotions are mixed, i don't know if i should be happy for you but i understand that you have your own reasons for takeing such a desision. Personaly i 'm devastated since through your creation... you gave life to my favorite machine, a hole new meaning of how a distro should be and an inspiration to me. Even though right now i 'm really sad i can only say thank you and good luck. I wish i had the power to give more back since my life was down to ground zero for the last four years(unemployed) and i 've just moved to another country(last two months) and finally managed to find a new crapy job just to survive. This is your child, this is your project of life, this is your dream and nobodhi can put the love you gave to it. I hope i 'll hear from you again. Since then enjoy your new life and your family. Some of us will be anxious hearing from you again.

Yours Truly

Jack Sparrow
Dual boot Bodhi 2.4.0-32_non-pae/ Bodhi 3.0.0 legacy RC2 on eeepc 701 4G Surf

#5 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12503 posts
  • LocationBloomington, IL

Posted 13 September 2014 - 02:36 AM

Thanks for the kind words folks. Hopefully someone will be interested in picking up where I left off. I'll likely still be lurking if that happens :)

As for the comment about what all I do for Bodhi - the primary things I do are:

1.) Build software updates (E has new builds far more often than are added to the Ubuntu repos)

2.) Create the ISO images people use to install the OS

I had also started working on some custom tools in python (eepDater, ePad) but those don't have to be updated/included if whoever takes over doesn't care for them (ePad is simple and works, but eepDater has some issues).

~Jeff

#6 Ronald Pottol

Ronald Pottol

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 13 September 2014 - 02:38 AM

Well, thanks, it's been a great ride!

But for you and us, what next?

What is a good turn key distro for E? I like having Ubuntu ppa's avalible.

Arch is nifty, but I got tired of having to do everything myself.

Any ideas in RPM land?

http://jeffhoogland.blogspot.com/2014/09/stepping-down-from-bodhi-linux-lead.html

#7 JollyRoger

JollyRoger

• Team
  • 196 posts
  • LocationHigh Wycombe, UK

Posted 13 September 2014 - 07:11 AM

I'd like to add my thanks, Jeff, for your huge effort producing this amazing distro. Best wishes to you and your family.

I've been using Bodhi3 RC1 for a couple of months now with no issues. Everything works. I can't imagine life without Bodhi, and I really hope someone takes over the lead.

Is there any chance of getting the Art Wiki up and running? That would be most helpful.

Regarding documentation, I've been working on a comprehensive guide to Bodhi 3 which I was thinking of publishing as an ebook when Bodhi 3 stable was released. It is not finished, but I can continue with it if others are interested in keeping the Bodhi project going. (Even an updated version of the RC1 download would help, with the odd niggles sorted.)

Kind regards

#8 elwoodblues

elwoodblues

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 13 September 2014 - 07:15 PM

Jeff, thank you very much for all the love and hard work on Bodhi. This distro is my choice since 1.4, and i'm very sad to hear that you're leaving the project. I hope someone will take over.
All the best wishes to you and your family. :)

#9 gohlip

gohlip

• Members
  • 664 posts

Posted 13 September 2014 - 09:03 PM

Thanks Jeff for all you've done.
Best wishes for you and your family.

Life is a sexually transmitted disease with a 100% mortality rate.

#10 DennisD

DennisD

• Team
  • 328 posts

Posted 13 September 2014 - 09:30 PM

http://jeffhoogland.blogspot.com/2014/09/stepping-down-from-bodhi-linux-lead.html

Job well done, Jeff. Good Luck on your future endeavurs!

#11 craigus

craigus

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 14 September 2014 - 04:04 AM

Thanks for all the hard work, Jeff. Hopefully you will be able to lurk as development continues with a new team.

#12 Danica

Danica

• Members
  • 48 posts
  • Location011011100111001001110111

Posted 14 September 2014 - 09:47 AM

Bodhi is dead???? Oh no!!!! :huh:

THX for your hard work Jeff! Best Regards for your Wife, your Baby and you! Famely is very importend!

Danica

IBM Thinkpad x61: 1,8 GHz, 4,0GB RAM, 064GB SSD, wmlive
IBM Thinkpad x61: 2,0 GHz, 4,0GB RAM, 320GB HDD, Bodhi Linux
IBM Thinkpad x200: 2,4 GHz, 6,0GB RAM, 128GB SSD, Linux-Mint 17.1 Cinnamon

Acer Aspire 30002,0 GHz, 1,5GB RAM, 60GB HDD, Bodhi Linux 3.0

#13 Elw3

Elw3

• Moderators
  • 1769 posts

Posted 14 September 2014 - 10:13 AM

Bodhi is dead???? Oh no!!!!

Not yet not yet!
As long there are users.
Bad Wolf

#14 Duma

Duma

Artist

• Members
  • 2392 posts
  • LocationRivalta (TO) - Italia

Posted 14 September 2014 - 12:46 PM

I want to add my best wishes for you and your family Jeff.
Bodhi is a great distro because it adds E and Minimalism with Updated Softwares in Debian universe.
With Bodhi I've rediscovered E17 after the first meet with OpenGEU and I've liked a lot create themes for you and re-use this crazy WM! :D

I hope someone can take care of this creature as much as you will take care of your baby.

I hope there will be some guys between us can package and rebuild Bodhi in the future :) .
Se sei italiano e interessato a Linux, clicca qui!

#15 Sitting Fox

Sitting Fox

• Team
  • 551 posts

Posted 14 September 2014 - 01:22 PM

Jeff,

Thanks for the kind words folks. Hopefully someone will be interested in picking up where I left off. I'll likely still be lurking if that happens :)

Definitely good to hear. :)

As for the comment about what all I do for Bodhi - the primary things I do are:

1.) Build software updates (E has new builds far more often than are added to the Ubuntu repos)

2.) Create the ISO images people use to install the OS

Ah, I see. An interesting peek into what would need to be done. With that said, about how many hours a week (or something like that) do you feel is needed at least for a lead to do the Bodhi work?

------------------------

Bodhi is dead???? Oh no!!!! :huh:

Not yet not yet!
As long there are users.

Yup, what Elw3. :D There's still time for finding a new lead, too.

#16 mabier

mabier

• Members
  • 129 posts
  • LocationWuhan,Hubei Province,China

Posted 14 September 2014 - 01:55 PM

Thank you for every instructions and jokes . I remember as a joke of April fool's day , you said Bodhi would be based on KDE ,at that time I were fooled. This time I hope it still could be a joke. But if being a lead developer is just a way of making fun,then you'd better leave when you find new fun at other areas to follow or you just have no time to resume current fun. Gold can glitter in any environment, as a free floss contributor you are free to do anything you see fit.
From the beginning of Bodhi-enlightenment project, I personally have received lots of helps from you , your responding speed is always fast which each forum member here can not miss . Surely this project is your dear child and Bodhi Linux is a successful story . I appreciate the sharing spirit,the good-willing of helping your neighbours and community.
I remember during a certain period of time I found some bugs in Bodhi Linux and a vague idea of replacing Bodhi with another Linux distro emerged at that time , but I didn't change it at last because I cherished the special emotion,the friendly atmosphere of Bodhi forum,the enlightenment emitted from E17 and Bodhi development team I experienced during the development of Bodhi which is a precious asset that other linux distro simply could not substitute. Now Jeff is going to step down from the Bodhi lead, maybe this can give me an excuse to give that vague idea a second consideraton. If Bodhi can still be so facinating and friendly, I will continue to use it without any doubt.
Finally I am very pleased that you are enjoying your family life and find your new interests and destiny . :D

#17 Seekamp

Seekamp

Chromebook Wizard

• Developer
  • 84 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 14 September 2014 - 02:48 PM

Wow, bummer. Of course the fact that you have more important and exciting things going on in your life is a good thing. I know from reading some posts in the past that some people didn't properly appreciate all the work you put in. I really do appreciate everything you did and how patient you were. I wish you the best in your future endeavors.
--Chris

#18 cooler

cooler

• Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 14 September 2014 - 04:48 PM

First thing first: a big thank you for your efforts trough these years. I've been using Bodhi since 2.0 and it's a nice distro. Jeff many thanks for your good intentions in helping others (me included).
I kind of seen this coming though; one-man distros don't last long. Jeff has many reasons to let it go and his personal life is more important, I agree. I just whised he had found a succesor before he stepped down or at least finnish the 3.0.
Btw Bodhi is no longer listed on distrowatch.com; this is how I found it's gone.
May the force be with you Jeff!

#19 bwbritt86

bwbritt86

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 14 September 2014 - 05:29 PM

So sad to hear this, but am also glad that now you'll have the time to concentrate on what's most important to you. IMO, Bodhi is the perfect light-weight distro, and although it was not the first distro I've used it was the first that I really learned how to use linux on. Hopefully it will be reborn like Backtrack was. Guess I'm off to research other pretty lightweight distros to install after forum-support has ended. (Xubuntu maybe)

#20 gato2707

gato2707

• Members
  • 31 posts
  • LocationMexico, Mexico City

Posted 14 September 2014 - 11:58 PM

Live long and prosper

http://elgatoconlinu...-prospera-jeff/

Saludos desde México
Saludos desde México
My Blog: El Gato con Linux

0 user(s) are reading this topic