Window Switcher - Windows Order Not Updated

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 dr_agon

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 01:31 PM

I use Bodhi 3.0 46bit RC1 and I noticed a problems with order of windows while switching by Alt-TAB.
It is similar to Window Switcher Doesn't Order Windows Properly, but it affected E17, and I use E19.

I suppose the switcher should present the windows list ordered by most recent use. I found out that when I switch to some window using Alt-TAB the window becomes rised and focused as expected, but when I press Alt-TAB again, the order of windows remains unchanged. I mean the recently focused window retains its previous position in the list, instead of becoming the first one (and the second item on the list is selected, but it is not the most recent window, due to wrong order). Hitting Alt-TAB again (and again...) allows switching to another window, but never changes the order of the windows. This is annoying, because you cannot go back to your previous window without Alt-TAB-ing through all others.

When I change the focus to another window using a mouse, and then invoke Windows Switcher by Alt-TAB, the order is changed as expected, which means that the window focused by mouse click becomes the first. Unfortunately the previous window is not always pre-selected, because the rest of the list remains in wrong order.

Is this a bug or did I just miss some option to tweak this?

My regards to the whole Bodhi team - great work!

A big thank you to everyone who contributes to Bodhi Linux

#2 aka jazz

aka jazz

• Banned
  • 611 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 10:45 PM

a few things you may want to include in your bug report (if it is indeed a bug). I can't tell since I can't hose my current setup (with the keybinds it's perfect for my workflow). I believe you can find (or unlock) these tweaks under Settings >Windows display:
do you have sloppy focus set
what about click to focus
click raises window
click focuses window

That's a few that come to mind; there could be others affecting Alt-Tab behavior. But we want the devs to 'make it happen' so that they can narrow down which tweak is responsible. On the other hand, you might be able to pinpoint the cause and save the rest of us. I may have seen it happen but I have no plans to swing to E18 even, not until I get my hands on my main PC.
Screenshots of e17 at the Gallerie des shedied and here for just one only. Incidentally,why don't you try our friendly IRC channel for some help? (link up top) or watch an e-ducational clip that's 2 and a half minutes long

#3 dr_agon

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 05:14 PM

Thanks for the reply. Sorry for my delay in reporting back, I was away from my box with installed Bodhi.

I checked your suggestions in my settings.
I don't have sloppy focus. The other relevant settings are as follow:
settings->Windows->Window Focus->Focus: Focus policy = click
settings->Windows->Window Focus->Miscellaneous: (Click raises the window, Click focuses the window, Refocus last window on desktop switch, Focus last focused window on lost focus) = True (these are default settings)
settings->Windows->Window Switcher->Selecting: Focus = True, the rest = False
Everything seems logical. Changing focus policy works as expected (windows are focused properly) but does not change the order of windows in the switcher. Changing switcher to Rise the selected window doesn't influence the problematic behavior.

I booted an iso with Bodhi 2.4.0 and had no problems (the behavior is correct).
I booted Bodhi 3.0.0 rc1 directly from iso to exclude any changes I might have introduced, and the problem persisted.

Steps to reproduce:
open at least three windows
switch focus by Alt-tab to the last windows in the list
switch back by Alt-tab to the first window in the list - your current windows remains last in the list (should be first)
try switching back to the previously focused window by Alt-tab (which was the last window in the list)-your previously focused window still is last in the list (should be second, and pre-selected)

The order of windows in the switcher list is properly changed when a window is focused by clicking on it instead of Alt-tabbing.

Looks like a bug.

Any further suggestions?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users