66 replies to this topic

#1 aeonius

aeonius

Lord of the Website

• Administrators
  • 2644 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 18 January 2015 - 10:21 AM

We're looking for people willing and able to write for our new wiki.

The wiki is currently completely empty and needs to be filled with useful information on the 3.0 version of Bodhi. If you're fluent in English and have an understanding of how 3.0 functions, or are willing to learn, or have something useful to contribute, or...

Leave a reply here if you're interested!

A big thank you to everyone who contributes to Bodhi Linux

#2 JollyRoger

JollyRoger

• Team
  • 197 posts
  • LocationHigh Wycombe, UK

Posted 18 January 2015 - 05:38 PM

I'd be happy to help out. I'm not a computer whizz-kid, but I've written plenty of (published) books.

JollyRoger

#3 ylee

ylee

King of the Software Page

• Moderators
  • 1585 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina, USA

Posted 18 January 2015 - 08:35 PM

Yeah considering I wrote quite a bit of stuff for the old wiki and I can't help myself sometimes I probably will post a few wiki articles when I find time B)

"No technology can ever be too arcane or complicated for the black t-shirt crowd."

#4 Garheade

Garheade

Documentation Lead

• Moderators
  • 82 posts
  • LocationDenver, Colorado

Posted 19 January 2015 - 05:05 AM

Leave a reply here if you're interested!

Totally need to count me in on this one.

#5 TinganSob

TinganSob

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 03:50 PM

Totally count me in. I've got a background as a systems admin & have done some technical writing. I'd love to contribute. I don't have versio 3.0 but I'm a quick study --- let me know how I can participate. Thanks

#6 Timmy

Timmy

Resident Know-It-All

• Moderators
  • 1419 posts
  • LocationSkåne, Sweden

Posted 21 January 2015 - 03:59 AM

Sign me up.

You for one, aeonius, should know how pedantic I can be when it comes to writing. Expect me to proofread articles and maybe even adding a few.

Last time around we had a mailing-list, which didn't work out very well. Do you guys think it would be a good idea to have some way of communicating with others interested in documentation, or does the current channels (forum, irc) suffice?

``Every time I see some piece of medical research saying that caffeine is good for you, I high-five myself. Because I'm going to live forever.'' — Linus Torvalds
``Don’t argue with idiots because they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.'' — Greg King
0DF7C09A

The Bodhi Linux Wiki

#7 aka jazz

aka jazz

• Banned
  • 611 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 04:22 AM

do the current channels (forum, irc) suffice?

Probably only 2 people know about irc as a support channel. The second, only because I told him to get online via the irc link at the top of the page. Make that 3, because I know Deepspeed uses it too.

I would love to help out in the wiki, but if it means registering yet another userid and setting up another password, i'll sign up later then
Screenshots of e17 at the Gallerie des shedied and here for just one only. Incidentally,why don't you try our friendly IRC channel for some help? (link up top) or watch an e-ducational clip that's 2 and a half minutes long

#8 Timmy

Timmy

Resident Know-It-All

• Moderators
  • 1419 posts
  • LocationSkåne, Sweden

Posted 21 January 2015 - 04:55 AM

Well, that is why I'm asking, jazz. What means of communications do you prefer? And if the answer is the forum, let's have that as our offical communication channel! I'm all for including as many people as possible. :)

``Every time I see some piece of medical research saying that caffeine is good for you, I high-five myself. Because I'm going to live forever.'' — Linus Torvalds
``Don’t argue with idiots because they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.'' — Greg King
0DF7C09A

The Bodhi Linux Wiki

#9 Deepspeed

Deepspeed

Sir Creeps-a-lot

• Developer
  • 543 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 11:42 AM

I can't say I'll be the most prolific writer, but if anybody needs a quick guide made up or I see something that needs adding in, I'll definitely be adding a few articles.

Send me a pm or email or whatever if you guys have anything specific you'd like me to write/edit.

#10 nomko

nomko

• Members
  • 122 posts
  • LocationThe Hague, The Netherlands

Posted 23 January 2015 - 01:38 PM

I could write 1 or 2 wiki's too. I'm not such a big expert or IT guru, but could write something about hardware and problem solving as a novice user. I've been using Linux since 2007.

MSI GE70-2PE*Quad core Intel Core i7-4710HQ*Kingston 16 GB RAM*Intel 4th Gen. Integr. GPU/NVidia GeForce GTX860M*Qualcomm Atheros Killer E2200/Intel Wireless 3160*Sitecom X5-N600 Router (WLR-5100)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't need Google, my wife knows everything!

#11 aeonius

aeonius

Lord of the Website

• Administrators
  • 2644 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 09:56 PM

Do you guys think it would be a good idea to have some way of communicating with others interested in documentation, or does the current channels (forum, irc) suffice?

Glad to have you back, Timmy. As for communication, the wiki will have comments enabled, which means all wiki pages will have a thread linked to it, where editors can discuss the content of that page. I also think we'll have a "Doc Team Forum" when the time comes to discuss overall stuff. Maybe a team only one?

As for the way we're going to get this wiki started... I'm gonna give Garheade an account some time next week right now so he can test it. If he thinks it's functional enough, more people can get an account. The wiki won't be open to editing by the public, like the last one was, mainly to combat spam and guarantee quality content. Furthermore, Garheade will be taking the lead on how to go about filling it, so be nice to him. :P

Any thoughts/questions/worries/feedback?

Edited by aeonius, 24 January 2015 - 12:32 AM.
I work faster than I thought...

#12 Timmy

Timmy

Resident Know-It-All

• Moderators
  • 1419 posts
  • LocationSkåne, Sweden

Posted 24 January 2015 - 01:45 AM

Well, I'm ideologically opposed to not letting anyone create wiki accounts, but since I won't be doing the cleaning up of spam maybe I shouldn't argue too much about it. Doesn't wordpress have plugins to deal with that? I know that dealing with spam is quite easy in MediaWiki.

Edit: Oh and yeah, I don't think there's a conflict between letting anyone edit and having quality content. :)

0DF7C09A

The Bodhi Linux Wiki

#13 aeonius

aeonius

Lord of the Website

• Administrators
  • 2644 posts

Posted 24 January 2015 - 02:29 AM

Well, I'm ideologically opposed to not letting anyone create wiki accounts

Don't get me wrong, anyone that is willing to help out with the wiki is welcome to join (after the initial start up), but they will have to ask for an account as opposed to create one themselves. The wiki is still open to all, we're just adding a step to the registration progress. I hope this alleviates your concerns.

#14 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12524 posts
  • LocationBloomington, IL

Posted 24 January 2015 - 04:44 AM

Basically as Joris said - creating a wiki will just involve human interaction.

~Jeff

#15 Timmy

Timmy

Resident Know-It-All

• Moderators
  • 1419 posts
  • LocationSkåne, Sweden

Posted 24 January 2015 - 07:36 AM

Fair enough, seems like as good a way as any to combat spam. I don't really know what I imagined. :3

0DF7C09A

The Bodhi Linux Wiki

#16 Garheade

Garheade

Documentation Lead

• Moderators
  • 82 posts
  • LocationDenver, Colorado

Posted 29 January 2015 - 04:28 PM

JollyRoger, TinganSob and Nomko, Please PM me your email addresses so we can add you as contributors to the wiki.

-G

#17 aeonius

aeonius

Lord of the Website

• Administrators
  • 2644 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 10:43 PM

First couple of wiki authors added. If you're one of them you'll have gotten an email by now.

Happy wiki-ing!

#18 cerissa23

cerissa23

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 February 2015 - 02:27 PM

I would love to contribute, I have been using bodhi for over a year, and have fallen in love with it, so anyway I can help I will. English is my first language so very fluent in it.

#19 aeonius

aeonius

Lord of the Website

• Administrators
  • 2644 posts

Posted 03 February 2015 - 07:19 PM

Second round of authors added. You will receive an email with your login instructions. If anyone has any questions, feel free to email me.

Happy Wiki-ing!

#20 Sitting Fox

Sitting Fox

• Team
  • 551 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 05:04 PM

Alright, after repeating the same set of instructions a few times, I might as well start adding it to the wiki. :lol: Sign me up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users