55 replies to this topic

#21 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12416 posts
  • LocationBloomington, IL

Posted 26 January 2015 - 09:59 AM

Good ideas. Perhaps we just always have it run an apt-get update if one hasn't been run recently. How long ago is good enough? A hour? A few hours? A day? Making sure one was run in the last hour is likely good enough. Would allow people to install most of their apps without having to wait for an update before each one.

~Jeff

A big thank you to everyone who contributes to Bodhi Linux

#22 JollyRoger

JollyRoger

• Team
  • 186 posts
  • LocationHigh Wycombe, UK

Posted 26 January 2015 - 10:08 AM

I'm delighted to see that WPS-Office has been added to the AppCenter. It's the best, in my opinion, though the Linux version doesn't have mailmerge - I use Google Drive for that.

#23 Elw3

Elw3

• Moderators
  • 1769 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 11:09 AM

Good ideas. Perhaps we just always have it run an apt-get update if one hasn't been run recently. How long ago is good enough? A hour? A few hours? A day? Making sure one was run in the last hour is likely good enough. Would allow people to install most of their apps without having to wait for an update before each one.

Not automatically without user permission, with my network speed it would lock for several minutes.
Perhaps you could touch a file in some temporary space, like the package manager does with its lock file.
So lets say it checks for a file in /dev/shm or /tmp. Its deleted on reboot so regardless of time it offers an refresh every boot.
Oh thats a weird thought... probably without benefits.

Time is questionable tho, no idea how fast is needed and when it gets annoying.
Bad Wolf

#24 Randy

Randy

Bodhi-Care

• Members
  • 627 posts
  • LocationFort Wayne, IN USA

Posted 27 January 2015 - 01:55 AM

I'm delighted to see that WPS-Office has been added to the AppCenter. It's the best, in my opinion, though the Linux version doesn't have mailmerge - I use Google Drive for that.

You can thank Jeff for that one! He checked it out, and added it. http://forums.bodhil...427-wps-office/
Randy Fry

Linux Addict!

#25 Deepspeed

Deepspeed

Sir Creeps-a-lot

• Developer
  • 543 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 06:08 AM

I recommnded it to Jeff just for you when he was asking what to put in appcenter. :)

#26 JollyRoger

JollyRoger

• Team
  • 186 posts
  • LocationHigh Wycombe, UK

Posted 30 January 2015 - 10:14 AM

I recommnded it to Jeff just for you when he was asking what to put in appcenter. :)

For me? I'm flattered! Many thanks Deepspeed and Jeff.

#27 yram

yram

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 February 2015 - 08:41 AM

First of all, i would like to thank the Bodhi Team and especially Jeff Hoogland to not discontinued Bodhi Linux.

I am a real newbie to Bodhi Linux and i am quite lost ...

I have just install the last RC of Bodhi Linux 3.0 , and i tried to install Apps with the AppCenter, but when i click on an install button, nothing happen.
Is it normal at this stage of developpment ?

moreover, could you help me to install a new theme and a new icons set ?

I apologize for these stupid questions.

I wish all the best for the Bodhi Team.

Best regards,

Yram

#28 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12416 posts

Posted 15 February 2015 - 08:45 AM

Clicking the install button will launch the Bodhi application installer. Are you using the Midori web browser when you click the "Install" button?

~Jeff

#29 Josea

Josea

• Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 15 February 2015 - 05:25 PM

Yram I tried one of the themes from Midori, onix, then an esudo box launched and I had to enter my system password (the one you setup during install). then the bodhi application installer should come up. check behind the browser window for the esudo password dialog.
Welcome to the forum also! & there are no stupid questions!

Dell D610 Bhodi 3.0.0  E19.3 2 GB RAM 80 GB HDD Pentium M Broadcom WIFI
Asus G73JH-A1 ATI 5870M Dual Boot Win 7 Bodhi 3.0.0 64 BIT

#30 sushi

sushi

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 03 March 2015 - 02:59 AM

Hi,

Some apps as proposition :

xarchiver

a simple mail watcher

conky

deadbeef

streamripper

smplayer-vaapi (the buntu repo none vaapi is totally useless)

shotwell

#31 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12416 posts

Posted 03 March 2015 - 03:07 AM

Why is smplayer useless without vaapi? It plays videos fine here without it.

#32 sushi

sushi

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 03 March 2015 - 04:04 AM

Simply because it doesn't use the GPU but only the CPU, which is a nonsense with the actual power full GPU. It's like having a car with 4 wheels and use only 2 of them. Try the vaapi and look at the charge of the CPU vs none vaapi version. I even don't understand what the none vaapi version does in the buntu repos, nobody use that thing.

#33 Charles@Bodhi

Charles@Bodhi

Old Faithful

• Moderators
  • 4472 posts
  • LocationZeist, The Netherlands

Posted 03 March 2015 - 12:22 PM

Not everybody has a dedicated graphics card. But all machines do come with an onboard graphic solution, be it a basic one or more sophisticated.

Thank you for calling me nobody.

Charles.

Medion S4216 Ultrabook, 4GB RAM, 1TB HDD, WIN 10 & Bodhi 4.1.0-64 

Asus eeepc 901, 1GB RAM, 12 GB SSD, Bodhi 3.0.0-32-Legacy & Bodhi 4.1.0-32 Legacy

#34 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12416 posts

Posted 03 March 2015 - 03:05 PM

Charles,

Is the vaapi build of SMPlayer non-functional on systems without dedicated GPUs?

#35 Charles@Bodhi

Charles@Bodhi

Old Faithful

• Moderators
  • 4472 posts

Posted 03 March 2015 - 03:52 PM

Charles,

Is the vaapi build of SMPlayer non-functional on systems without dedicated GPUs?

I've no idea. I only use stuff that is available in the repos and if this is not  I guess there is a reason for it.

Enjoy,

Charles.

Asus eeepc 901, 1GB RAM, 12 GB SSD, Bodhi 3.0.0-32-Legacy & Bodhi 4.1.0-32 Legacy

#36 Charles@Bodhi

Charles@Bodhi

Old Faithful

• Moderators
  • 4472 posts

Posted 03 March 2015 - 06:23 PM

If my information is correct VA-API will only have affect when your hardware is capable. It is neglected for other hardware. There is a gstreamer vaapi plugin AFAIK. Don't know if that will be all that is needed. Doesn't  mplayer have vaapi-support built-in?

Enjoy,

Charles.

#37 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12416 posts

Posted 03 March 2015 - 07:07 PM

If my information is correct VA-API will only have affect when your hardware is capable. It is neglected for other hardware. There is a gstreamer vaapi plugin AFAIK. Don't know if that will be all that is needed. Doesn't  mplayer have vaapi-support built-in?

Enjoy,

Charles.

This was my impression, but maybe smplayer needs this other version to access it? Honestly haven't researched it, I use VLC for everything personally.

#38 Sir Loinofbeef

Sir Loinofbeef

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 March 2015 - 11:31 PM

One of the great things about Bodhi 2.4 ( besides the most fabulous desktop I have ever seen) was that Google Earth worked right out of the package. Unlike in Ubuntu or Mint where you had to constantly tinker with it to get it to work right if it ever. Will this be in the work for 3.0?

#39 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12416 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 12:03 AM

I don't recall doing anything specific in Bodhi 2.x for Google Earth. If you are having trouble installing Google Earth on Bodhi 3.0.0 you should open a support request thread.

#40 sushi

sushi

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 12:23 AM

@ Jeff & Charles : mplayer vaapi don't need a dedicated GPU it use the IGP if vaapi capable, which intel (per example) is, I do so (i7) even if I have a GPU on board. In fact it's just a matter of how mplayer is compiled (with/without -vaapi flag), but the buntu repos seems to prefer let the people add PPA  in state of put that flag ! Even if is compiled -vaapi, you can choose the video output you want. Dont need gstreamer-vaapi, just install mplayer-vaapi + i965-va-driver (intel) and it's done.

Vlc is nice but very very very heavy and eat a lot of resources (build in codecs) and unuseable with certain IGP/GPU, specially AMD/fglrx, I never reach to play an 1080p video without stuttering on my desktop with a Phenom II x6 / HD7750. VLC is famous for being tricky on HD & stuttering...  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users