55 replies to this topic

#41 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12504 posts
  • LocationBloomington, IL

Posted 04 March 2015 - 01:25 AM

Sushi - it really sounds like what you want is hardware specific and should not be the default. I'd be more than happy to add it to the Bodhi repos if you make a software request in the thread, but I doubt it will replace the stock smplayer on the app center.

A big thank you to everyone who contributes to Bodhi Linux

#42 sushi

sushi

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 02:36 AM

Maybe you understood me wrong... Nothing to do with hardware specific just with the possibility for the majority to use the hardware acceleration with a software that you propose which is able of that. Users of Intel IGP (a lot of laptops) & nvidia IGP/GPU will benefit from it. An option that VLC has as default in every repos (need just to enable it).

I can do the request if you show the link for that but I'll anyway install the vaapi version , proposed by a repo or a PPA or compiled. Why should a cpu be "overloaded" opposed an IGP/GPU done for that..?

#43 FameWolf

FameWolf

• Members
  • 330 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 05:43 AM

Maybe you understood me wrong... Nothing to do with hardware specific just with the possibility for the majority to use the hardware acceleration with a software that you propose which is able of that. Users of Intel IGP (a lot of laptops) & nvidia IGP/GPU will benefit from it. An option that VLC has as default in every repos (need just to enable it).

I can do the request if you show the link for that but I'll anyway install the vaapi version , proposed by a repo or a PPA or compiled. Why should a cpu be "overloaded" opposed an IGP/GPU done for that..?

This page last updated 01/01/2015 indicates that the vaapi version is still in the development branch.  I believe Jeff defaults to the last STABLE version of a package.

http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/VAAPI

#44 sushi

sushi

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 06:59 AM

Don't understand me wrong, I don't won't (need) to convince anybody. Taken that way, everything is in development branch what concerns computing.

#45 jeroenjoosse

jeroenjoosse

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 09:24 AM

Maybe an archive manager like file-roller can be added to the appcentre?? Seems like an essential tool for a lot of people.

Running:

Bodhi 3.1.1 32bit with Moksha 0.2

Hardware:

HP mini 210

#46 mbemboom

mbemboom

• Members
  • 29 posts
  • LocationOwensboro, Kentucky

Posted 06 March 2015 - 02:11 PM

Maybe an archive manager like file-roller can be added to the appcentre?? Seems like an essential tool for a lot of people.

I think that is a great idea. I was actually looking for one last night.

"Yeah, well, you know, that’s just, like, your opinion, man. " - The Dude

#47 DennisD

DennisD

• Team
  • 328 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 02:28 PM

I think that is a great idea. I was actually looking for one last night.

That is a great Idea...I just made a request for Xarchiver in the Software request thread. Great minds think alike I guess.

#48 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12504 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 02:51 PM

Added file roller. That would should have been there from the start.

http://www.bodhilinu...rchive-manager/

#49 mdg

mdg

• Team
  • 118 posts

Posted 15 March 2015 - 12:21 AM

I would like to suggest a couple of applications for consideration for the app center:

Autokey:  AutoKey is a desktop automation utility for Linux and X11.

https://code.google.com/p/autokey/

Cherry Tree: A hierarchical note taking application, featuring rich text and syntax highlighting, storing data in a single xml or sqlite file.

http://www.giuspen.com/cherrytree/

Thanks!

mdg

#50 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12504 posts

Posted 15 March 2015 - 01:23 AM

These are both in the repositories already. Autokey seems like something which has a complexity that means it really doesn't belong on the app center. Anyone looking for that level of control likely knows their way around synaptic or event apt-get.

#51 mdg

mdg

• Team
  • 118 posts

Posted 15 March 2015 - 06:28 PM

Hi Jeff!

Thanks for your consideration.

Actually, Autokey is for working with text as in abbreviation expansion, (i.e. PhraseExpress, InstantText or even MS Word's Autotext.)  Its purpose is merely to send keystrokes to a text editor/word processor or now even other programs like e-mail, working with a group of addresses or those long words that are fingetwisters to type or you type a lot (gastroduodenoscopy; thank you for your interest, www.bodhilinux.com, or a way to make a keyboard shortcut where one does not exist, possibly) etc.... , nothing as fancy as what the "desktop automation for Linux and X11 imply. LOL

Again, thank you for considering Autokey and Cherrytree.

MDG  :)

#52 Sitting Fox

Sitting Fox

• Team
  • 551 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 04:08 PM

Cherry Tree: A hierarchical note taking application, featuring rich text and syntax highlighting, storing data in a single xml or sqlite file.

http://www.giuspen.com/cherrytree/

Hey mdg,

Thanks for sharing that. I've been using Kabikaboo for a project, but they stopped development on that and you can't change the font size. So I end up working in something that can make the font bigger and then paste it into there for a more organized keeping. Maybe Cherrytree would be a good replacement.

#53 mdg

mdg

• Team
  • 118 posts

Posted 18 March 2015 - 12:26 AM

SittingFox,

Glad to share.  I hope it does everything you want.  

mdg

#54 ChipDoc

ChipDoc

• Members
  • 509 posts
  • LocationTampa, FL, USA

Posted 15 May 2015 - 12:49 PM

I finally got a machine new enough to support Bodhi 3 and it's been great - thanks so much!

I had dutifully saved all of the bod files from my 2.4 installation, only to discover that they don't work over here.  Not  problem; I went to the AppCenter and downloaded everything I needed.  Except for two things:

Audacity

Unetbootin

On the other side of the coin, it was great to see that Stellarium had updated from v11 to v12.4 - thanks for that too!

-Chip

Posted Image Registered Linux User: 526339

#55 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12504 posts

Posted 15 May 2015 - 01:20 PM

Audacity is likely a good one to get added. Putting that on my TODO list.

#56 ChipDoc

ChipDoc

• Members
  • 509 posts
  • LocationTampa, FL, USA

Posted 15 May 2015 - 01:37 PM

Thanks Jeff!  No need to rush on my account; Synaptic installed them both just fine.  

-Chip

Posted Image Registered Linux User: 526339

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users