• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Bodhisattwa

Bodhisattwa

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 06:27 PM

Hello, :)

A few day ago I had a system glitch during boot and had to hard-restart computer. Now, applications icons in the launcher bar and places widget have been restored to default which doesn't look so good with my favorite theme. How can I set icons manually for these two desktop items manually?

A big thank you to everyone who contributes to Bodhi Linux

#2 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12355 posts
  • LocationBloomington, IL

Posted 30 January 2015 - 08:08 PM

Can you post a screenshot about what exactly you are looking to change? I'm not sure I understand from your description.

~Jeff

#3 Bodhisattwa

Bodhisattwa

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 11:32 PM

I'm trying to change default icons for application panel at the bottom of the screen(the icon for Midori is lost, vlc and xbmc too), for Places widget at right side and icons that appear in PCmanFM. All that because lxappearance for some reason doesn't work any more. The screenshots:

Current look of my desktop
Posted Image

And I would like to use LaGa icons
Posted Image

The only thing I've managed so far was to switch the theme with gtk-chtheme, but it's all it can do. So, how can I restore the artwork(the icon theme)?

#4 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12355 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 11:39 PM

To change the icon set E uses in your menu go to:

Settings->All->Look->Application Theme->Icons

And select the icon set you want.

~Jeff

#5 Bodhisattwa

Bodhisattwa

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 31 January 2015 - 12:31 AM

To change the icon set E uses in your menu go to:

Settings->All->Look->Application Theme->Icons

And select the icon set you want.

~Jeff

Thanks Jeff,

I've already tried that. Trouble is, only AwOken is listed. Is there any other way?

#6 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12355 posts

Posted 31 January 2015 - 01:31 AM

That likely means your icon theme doesn't meet the standards set out for icon sets on Linux.

Aside from that tool you'd have to manually assign icon paths via .desktop launchers for the applications.

Generally these are located in /usr/share/applications, but I would strongly recommended against doing this. Maybe drop the icon set creator a note.

~Jeff

#7 Bodhisattwa

Bodhisattwa

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 31 January 2015 - 08:36 PM

Thanks again Jeff, :)

Maybe you haven't understood from my question, for some reason, after the glitch occured and I had to hard-reset my computer, lxappearance is not saving changes, and I am unable to change anything using that tool. The icon worked Ok before the glich (part of icons package mentioned in artwork section on the old Bodhi site, nearly 2 dozen icon-themes) and now I see only AwOken in the system tool you've mentioned in your previous post. There should be at least 2 dozen others.

I'm sure everything is fine with icon-theme but gui tools stopped working. The rest of the OS seems to work Ok, and now I'm just looking for the way to change icon-theme manually. Is it possible without lxappearance or E17 tool to edit some config file by hand and set desired icon-theme? Or fix E17 tool?

#8 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12355 posts

Posted 31 January 2015 - 08:48 PM

You can try resetting your E config.

You can do this by running:

mv ~/.e ~/.e_bk

And then logging out and logging back in.

You can also try setting the icon theme in the ~/.gtkrc-2.0 file.

~Jeff

#9 Bodhisattwa

Bodhisattwa

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 31 January 2015 - 11:08 PM

Thank you Jeff, :)

Reseting E did help some as I was able at least to change icons appearing in PCManFM. However, for some reason, it still lists only AwOken icon-set while I have many more installed as is seen in the screenshot...

Posted Image

...and what's new is, now I cannot add any apps to the application panel, right clicking does nothing. It's just blank :blink: Also, I have already tried to edit .gtkrc but that doesn't work or fix anything.

#10 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12355 posts

Posted 01 February 2015 - 12:12 AM

Honestly not sure. I don't have any 2.4.0 systems I have left that I've been updating. Never had this issue last time I was on the platform. Perhaps someone else around might have some other ideas.

~Jeff

#11 Bodhisattwa

Bodhisattwa

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 01 February 2015 - 12:33 AM

Ok, much obliged for your effort to help sort this problem. :)

#12 Bodhisattwa

Bodhisattwa

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 01 February 2015 - 04:46 AM

...and then I changed the profile to Desktop which made fixing possible. B)

#13 aka jazz

aka jazz

• Banned
  • 611 posts

Posted 02 February 2015 - 10:31 PM

Were you able to get your wallpaper back? (You may still have it in case you followed Jeff's step to rename the .e folder ) :)
Screenshots of e17 at the Gallerie des shedied and here for just one only. Incidentally,why don't you try our friendly IRC channel for some help? (link up top) or watch an e-ducational clip that's 2 and a half minutes long

#14 Bodhisattwa

Bodhisattwa

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 10:16 PM

Were you able to get your wallpaper back? (You may still have it in case you followed Jeff's step to rename the .e folder ) :)

It was one among the files at /home so no problems with that but I've noticed that network gadget(sorry for previously calling them widgets) doesn't work. It is complaining that econnman doesn't exist. Similar case with Temperature gadget which is not showing it but doesn't complain in any way either. If customizing XBMC did not take as much time as it did, I would seriously consider to clean install the newest Bodhi RC.

#15 FameWolf

FameWolf

• Members
  • 330 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 11:57 PM

It was one among the files at /home so no problems with that but I've noticed that network gadget(sorry for previously calling them widgets) doesn't work. It is complaining that econnman doesn't exist. Similar case with Temperature gadget which is not showing it but doesn't complain in any way either. If customizing XBMC did not take as much time as it did, I would seriously consider to clean install the newest Bodhi RC.

You can always consider using dpkg-repack to rebuild the .deb for XBMC from the installed version and it should include any customizations you have done.....then next time you install it's all configured. Obviously you'd want to also back up any kodi/xbmc directories as well if you had custom files not from the initial package.

#16 Bodhisattwa

Bodhisattwa

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 06 February 2015 - 02:32 PM

You can always consider using dpkg-repack to rebuild the .deb for XBMC from the installed version and it should include any customizations you have done.....then next time you install it's all configured. Obviously you'd want to also back up any kodi/xbmc directories as well if you had custom files not from the initial package.

Actually, I was not even aware that this is possible, so big THANKS for the tip! :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users