34 replies to this topic

#1 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12351 posts
  • LocationBloomington, IL

Posted 01 February 2015 - 08:00 AM

I've just added the first version of ePad using an improved file selector widget I've written to the unstable branch of 3.0.0:

Posted Image

If you are using ePad as your text editor and wouldn't mind upgrading to the unstable branch to give it a try - let me know if it works for you :)

Thanks!
~Jeff

A big thank you to everyone who contributes to Bodhi Linux

#2 ylee

ylee

King of the Software Page

• Moderators
  • 1505 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina, USA

Posted 01 February 2015 - 01:28 PM

I've just added the first version of ePad using an improved file selector widget I've written to the unstable branch of 3.0.0:

If you are using ePad as your text editor and wouldn't mind upgrading to the unstable branch to give it a try - let me know if it works for you :)

Thanks!
~Jeff

Found a bug with epad failing to open if ~/.gtk-bookmarks does not exist. Already committed code to github to fix the issue B)

"No technology can ever be too arcane or complicated for the black t-shirt crowd."

#3 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12351 posts

Posted 06 February 2015 - 09:38 AM

ePad now has 100% more find+replace functionality in the unstable branch:

Posted Image

I tested it on a few files, but I would like a few other people to confirm it works as intended before I push these changes into main.

~Jeff

#4 FameWolf

FameWolf

• Members
  • 330 posts

Posted 06 February 2015 - 09:43 AM

ePad now has 100% more find+replace functionality in the unstable branch:

Posted Image

I tested it on a few files, but I would like a few other people to confirm it works as intended before I push these changes into main.

~Jeff

A stupid question but how do I install it from unstable to test for you? Preferably without installing a bunch of other stuff from unstable...find/replace was the primary reason I installed leafpad over epad.

#5 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12351 posts

Posted 06 February 2015 - 09:48 AM

You can always find the latest ePad in the unstable branch here. It will install just fine without anything else from unstable.

Let me know how it goes :)

~Jeff

#6 FameWolf

FameWolf

• Members
  • 330 posts

Posted 06 February 2015 - 09:57 AM

You can always find the latest ePad in the unstable branch here. It will install just fine without anything else from unstable.

Let me know how it goes :)

~Jeff

Two things I noticed fairly quickly...it's not using the system font and fontsize I picked...text is tiny and when I tried to open a 1.4mb textfile of adblock rules it hung. It's been sitting there for about 3 minutes now with a tiny cd spinning in upper left of the panel but no further signs of progress. Panel is now totally unresponsive to any clicks etc.

Ended up having to xkill and then kill -9 the process.

Reran it and chose a smaller file which it loaded however when I maximized the window the text did not reflow leaving 2/3rd of the screen empty per line...might be expected behavior but I'd normally choose wordwrap for anything but source code. I then ran epad for a 3rd time after closing it out and tried to load the same adblock rules file (easylist.txt) with an identical hang.

#7 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12351 posts

Posted 06 February 2015 - 10:07 AM

Font selector is on the TODO list. The default font for the text entry is 14 point though - fairly large IMO.

Got a place you can upload the file for me to try? It chugs for a second with larger files for me, but never chokes all together.

~Jeff

#8 FameWolf

FameWolf

• Members
  • 330 posts

Posted 06 February 2015 - 10:25 AM

Font selector is on the TODO list. The default font for the text entry is 14 point though - fairly large IMO.

Got a place you can upload the file for me to try? It chugs for a second with larger files for me, but never chokes all together.

~Jeff

http://www34.zippysh...FP55O/file.html

Default font for text files is 14 maybe but the text of the directories and files when navigating to select a file is smaller. See Screenshot. The text under the 3 icons on desktop is 14 point Roboto Font.

Posted Image

#9 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12351 posts

Posted 06 February 2015 - 10:30 AM

You can increase the font size in elementary applications like ePad and eepDater in your elementary configuration.

~Jeff

#10 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12351 posts

Posted 06 February 2015 - 10:34 AM

Looks like the line numbers are what is causing epad to chug on larger files like this. I'm going to look into method of recoding the method I use to generate the line numbers.

For now if you uncheck line numbers in the options menu it loads the file pretty quickly.

~Jeff

#11 FameWolf

FameWolf

• Members
  • 330 posts

Posted 06 February 2015 - 10:39 AM

You can increase the font size in elementary applications like ePad and eepDater in your elementary configuration.

~Jeff

Tried it....selected Roboto 14 and clicked on select all and apply....also tried it on the one that says "Listing" and it promptly blew up....maybe I'm doing something silly...it's 5:38am so I'll try it when I wake up.

#12 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12351 posts

Posted 06 February 2015 - 10:45 AM

Elementary font config is working as expected here:

Posted Image

~Jeff

#13 FameWolf

FameWolf

• Members
  • 330 posts

Posted 06 February 2015 - 06:50 PM

Elementary font config is working as expected here:

Posted Image

~Jeff

On both my 32 bit installs...the regular and the legacy going into elementary config and selecting "menu items" then setting to Roboto, Regular, 14 and clicking apply will result in an abend.
See Screenshot.

Posted Image

I should also mention I guess that midori on the legacy laptop which is running the same bodhi 0.5.9 version as my Virtualbox normal will consistently die towards the tail end of loading the page http://imgur.com while the normal install loads the page just fine. Midori does not provide an error message...it just closes. You could probably test this off the legacy live cd.

#14 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12351 posts

Posted 06 February 2015 - 07:21 PM

What version is your elementary package?

dpkg -l elementary

If it isn't 20150201 please upgrade.

~Jeff

#15 Charles@Bodhi

Charles@Bodhi

Old Faithful

• Moderators
  • 4351 posts
  • LocationZeist, The Netherlands

Posted 06 February 2015 - 07:46 PM

Hmm, I could reproduce that issue with other fonts too, though not consistent.

Fully updated RC3-64 in a VM.

Enjoy,
Charles

Medion S4216 Ultrabook, 4GB RAM, 1TB HDD, WIN 10 & Bodhi 4.1.0-64 

Asus eeepc 901, 1GB RAM, 12 GB SSD, Bodhi 3.0.0-32-Legacy & Bodhi 4.1.0-32 Legacy

#16 FameWolf

FameWolf

• Members
  • 330 posts

Posted 06 February 2015 - 07:58 PM

What version is your elementary package?

dpkg -l elementary

If it isn't 20150201 please upgrade.

~Jeff

Both the legacy and regular are on the one you specified.

ii elementary 20150201-1 i386 EFL-based widget set library

#17 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12351 posts

Posted 06 February 2015 - 08:09 PM

Phab ticket open here -> https://phab.enlightenment.org/T2072

The configuration tool has issues. Sometimes it works othertimes it dies. I thought this was limited to 1.13beta, but it appears to exist in 1.12.3 as well.

~Jeff

#18 FameWolf

FameWolf

• Members
  • 330 posts

Posted 06 February 2015 - 08:28 PM

Phab ticket open here -> https://phab.enlightenment.org/T2072

The configuration tool has issues. Sometimes it works othertimes it dies. I thought this was limited to 1.13beta, but it appears to exist in 1.12.3 as well.

~Jeff

In the meantime is there a file I can manually edit in nano to increase the font sizes? My old eyes just can't handle the size 8/9 point fonts. Also were you able to recreate the abend in midori when loading http://imgur.com? On the legacy laptop when I came back I noticed it did finally pop up a "midori closed unexpectedly". Why is it the error popup NEVER states what the error was? I've yet to see any information for any of the abends I've encountered.

Do you have to login to that phab site just to view the ticket? All I could get was a login dialog.

#19 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12351 posts

Posted 06 February 2015 - 08:29 PM

E/elm use binary configurations so text files are not an option for editing.

~Jeff

#20 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12351 posts

Posted 06 February 2015 - 10:23 PM

I've just added ePad with some speed improvements+find/replace for large files to the main repo.

FameWolf - some of the characters in the adblock file you shared though are triggering a bug in the libraries ePad uses. Phab report

~Jeff

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users