Upgrade from 2.4

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 jama

jama

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 February 2015 - 09:19 PM

Please what is recommended procedure to update from Bodhi 2.4 to 3.0 including kernel to ubuntu 14.04
Do I need to reninstall new version or some use of eepdater etc.?

Thanks
Jan

A big thank you to everyone who contributes to Bodhi Linux

#2 Elw3

Elw3

• Moderators
  • 1769 posts

Posted 01 February 2015 - 10:46 PM

Reinstall.
Bad Wolf

#3 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12522 posts
  • LocationBloomington, IL

Posted 01 February 2015 - 11:33 PM

Reinstall.

This is the correct answer. We do not support in OS upgrading between major versions of Bodhi currently.

~Jeff

#4 ChipDoc

ChipDoc

• Members
  • 509 posts
  • LocationTampa, FL, USA

Posted 20 February 2015 - 04:18 AM

Congratulations on the new 3.0 version, Jeff - the live boot is great!  But I'm glad I didn't spend a bunch of time beating my head against my inability to make the upgrade work.  Guess I'll note everything I'll want to be re-installing after the upgrade and downloading it over the fast line at work.

Thanks so much to you and the team for all of the effort you've put into this!  

-Chip

Posted Image Registered Linux User: 526339

#5 anlima

anlima

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 August 2017 - 11:18 AM

Sorry to hijack this thread, but I want to know whether this is still the case for the next major upgrade of Bodhi Linux.

I am used to Debian, but expect that it is the same with Ubuntu. In Debian you can upgrade an existing system by just updating the /etc/apt/sources.list file and doing

apt-get dist-upgrade

What is the reason this is not possible with Bodhi?

#6 Charles@Bodhi

Charles@Bodhi

Old Faithful

• Moderators
  • 4611 posts
  • LocationZeist, The Netherlands

Posted 04 August 2017 - 11:36 AM

Sorry to hijack this thread, but I want to know whether this is still the case for the next major upgrade of Bodhi Linux.

I am used to Debian, but expect that it is the same with Ubuntu. In Debian you can upgrade an existing system by just updating the /etc/apt/sources.list file and doing

apt-get dist-upgrade

What is the reason this is not possible with Bodhi?

Welcome to the forums.

The answer is HERE.

That topic might be of interest for you.

Enjoy,

Charles

#7 klamathh

klamathh

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 09:29 AM

so the best way is to 

apt-get dist-upgrade

for minor releases and format and install for major releases ?

Have a simple question on install major releases:

I have /home on a different partition than /, can I format just root, install new major release and reboot with old /home ?

Doing a 

dpkg --get-selections > packages_list_old

dpkg --set-selections < packages_list_old

apt-get dselect-upgrade

will restore the new system to the same state than old ?

Roberto

#8 birdmun

birdmun

• Members
  • 411 posts
  • LocationWabash, IN

Posted 30 August 2017 - 10:41 AM

I believe the ~/.e folder should be mv to ~/.e.old or similar to make sure the enlightenment moksha configuration is properly set up. You will need to reconfigure your desktop. With the other commands you are "just" over my head with respect to what it does. I would imagine the only problem you could run in to would be PPAs, if you use them, and packages that literally have no new versions built for the newer kernel/system.

#9 klamathh

klamathh

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 02:46 PM

I believe the ~/.e folder should be mv to ~/.e.old or similar to make sure the enlightenment moksha configuration is properly set up. You will need to reconfigure your desktop. With the other commands you are "just" over my head with respect to what it does. I would imagine the only problem you could run in to would be PPAs, if you use them, and packages that literally have no new versions built for the newer kernel/system.

ok

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users