Photo

how to change arrangement of folders on desktop?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jonabark

jonabark

• Members
  • 34 posts
  • LocationSouthern Vermont

Posted 20 February 2015 - 08:27 PM

My problem is primarily that the files and file folders on the desktop go all the way across the desktop and so  some are under the app icons which are on the left side of my desktop which makes them hard to select. I really would like more control of how they are arranged and have tried using the borders function in the desktop area of settings. It doesn't seem to do anything.  Is there a way to simply release these file icons from any restraint on their location and move them where I like or set up a gridded area in one part of the desktop?  they are in separate bars at top and 1/3 up from bottom of screen

A big thank you to everyone who contributes to Bodhi Linux

#2 mbemboom

mbemboom

• Members
  • 29 posts
  • LocationOwensboro, Kentucky

Posted 20 February 2015 - 10:30 PM

If I am understanding what you mean I think that you should right click on one of your icons, go down to where it says "view mode", and then unselect "grid mode" and select "custom icons".

"Yeah, well, you know, that’s just, like, your opinion, man. " - The Dude

#3 jonabark

jonabark

• Members
  • 34 posts
  • LocationSouthern Vermont

Posted 22 February 2015 - 01:46 AM

The 'custom icons' doesn't seem to allow me to arrange the file folders as I like. I actually can't tell what it does. But that  procedure you described still helped me to figure out  a better desktop arrangement, so thanks.  I have a new question which I will post separately but if you see this and know an answer I would really appreciate it.

I think while trying to sort out my desktop i did something inadvertently. I now have 2 empty boxes  about 2 inches wide and a half inch vertical rounded at the corners  surrounded by a white line that appears and disappears every second or 2. they have 2 blue and one black small downward pointing triangles in the center bottom of each box. Also if I right click in them or anywhere empty on the desk top I get a box with 3 programs: shotwell, help, and golden dictionary all listed. I can open these apps but when i go to close I get message that they will kill the app. I actually went a head and told it to kill the app but it didn't.   

Alright I just rebooted and the boxes are gone for now, but if I right click on an open area of the desktop I still get the 3 apps . How do I stop this? 

#4 Randy

Randy

Bodhi-Care

• Members
  • 589 posts
  • LocationFort Wayne, IN USA

Posted 22 February 2015 - 02:53 AM

Try checking your mouse bindings. Maybe something got set for your right click button.

Randy Fry

Linux Addict!

#5 Charles@Bodhi

Charles@Bodhi

Old Faithful

• Moderators
  • 4313 posts
  • LocationZeist, The Netherlands

Posted 22 February 2015 - 02:52 PM

Right clicking on the desktop should bring a menu for your favorite applications. Better check what you have in there.

Enjoy,

Charles

Medion S4216 Ultrabook, 4GB RAM, 1TB HDD, WIN 10 & Bodhi 2.4.0-64 & Bodhi 3.0.0-64 

Asus eeepc 901, 1GB RAM, 12 GB SSD, Bodhi 2.4.0-32 non-pae & Bodhi 3.0.0-32-Legacy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users