http://www.bodhilinu...r-task-manager/

Enjoy and report bugs!

A big thank you to everyone who contributes to Bodhi Linux

#2 FameWolf

FameWolf

• Members
  • 330 posts

Posted 24 February 2015 - 08:38 PM

Looks very nice!   I haven't been able to generate enough system activity...does the cpu and memory change from green to another color like red when almost all of it is used up?  I'll have to test it on my legacy laptop..I'm sure it will hit more of a resource issue then the one in virtualbox.

#3 birdmun

birdmun

• Members
  • 347 posts
  • LocationWabash, IN

Posted 23 March 2015 - 10:52 AM

I could be wrong,  but, it seems that the CPU percentages are rounded off by a factor of 10. I had Chrome open and the system was being sluggish. I opened Exterminator and it said 100% CPU usage. Arranging by usage showed 4% used by Chrome. Opening a terminal and running top showed 40% used by Chrome. There were obviously other apps making use of the CPU. I just don't recall them correctly enough to mention them here.

#4 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12430 posts
  • LocationBloomington, IL

Posted 23 March 2015 - 01:30 PM

Exterminator reports right about the same CPU usage as the Gnome and LXDE system monitors:

e-55101549b40fd0.22818489.png

Do you have a muti-core CPU? If so I'm fairly certain these applications round out based on total core load VS single. The terminal tool you are using might not be taking that into account.

#5 Seekamp

Seekamp

Chromebook Wizard

• Developer
  • 84 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 15 August 2015 - 11:32 PM

Just an FYI, I installed exterminator from the bodhi repository and it wouldn't run because of a python error in /usr/bin/elmextensions/sortedlist.pyc.  I uninstalled that version and tried the one reference here, but couldn't install it because after configuring apt:url to use apturl-elm, it was failing because it wasn't root (or using sudo). I will have to fix that separately.

Anyway, I went to your github page and downloaded the tar.gz and installed it manually. That one worked. So maybe the one in the repository needs to be updated?

--Chris

#6 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12430 posts

Posted 16 August 2015 - 01:51 AM

Can't reproduce an error message on my existing production machine or a Bodhi 3.1.0 live CD with exterminator from the repos

The sortedlist.py updated at one point several months ago. Was this on your existing Bodhi install you've been upgrading or a fresh one? If it was the former it sounds like the compiled .py file never updated properly on your system for some reason.

#7 Seekamp

Seekamp

Chromebook Wizard

• Developer
  • 84 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 16 August 2015 - 04:26 AM

Can't reproduce an error message on my existing production machine or a Bodhi 3.1.0 live CD with exterminator from the repos

The sortedlist.py updated at one point several months ago. Was this on your existing Bodhi install you've been upgrading or a fresh one? If it was the former it sounds like the compiled .py file never updated properly on your system for some reason.

Jeff, it was the existing install I upgraded. Timestamp of the files is from February so they definitely did not get updated.

--Chris

#8 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12430 posts

Posted 16 August 2015 - 02:47 PM

Manually remove that .pyc file. Next time I updated exterminator I'll look into adding code to clear those out automatically.

#9 disadjusted

disadjusted

• Members
  • 92 posts
  • LocationSouth West Germany

Posted 29 October 2015 - 10:21 AM

anyone else noticing / reproducing the outrageous CPU usage after letting it run in the background for a while?

http://postimg.org/image/guayvwaip/

PS/OT: haven't been here for a while due to private issues, and now it seems the enlightenment screenshot upload doesn't work anymore, but this one seems not to be allowed, which one is?

#10 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12430 posts

Posted 29 October 2015 - 01:32 PM

The Enlightenment server has been having issues the last week resulting in down time.

What is the issue in your screenshot? All system monitor tools use varying CPU as they do calculations.

#11 disadjusted

disadjusted

• Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 29 October 2015 - 02:05 PM

i thought that 30% on a core duo can't be normal, especially not when hogging this over several minutes.

i was wondering why my cpu clock and heat was going up while my laptop has been effectively ideling and i tend to stop scripts in firefox (which you can see results in not using much cpu)

can this be due to just "calculations"?

but please correct me if i'm wrong!

#12 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12430 posts

Posted 29 October 2015 - 04:02 PM

Is it running at a constant 30% for you? It goes between 1 and 10% on my i7

#13 disadjusted

disadjusted

• Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 29 October 2015 - 04:22 PM

freshly started it's between 5 and 12%, leaving it in the background for the while increases the percentage over time... worst case was about 40% so far...

still too much for any kind of task manager i think. therefore asking whether that could be a bug or a loop or sth similar...

#14 disadjusted

disadjusted

• Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 29 October 2015 - 04:29 PM

comparison between both freshly started exterminator and xfce task manager: http://imgur.com/9dokZj8

#15 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12430 posts

Posted 29 October 2015 - 06:13 PM

The xfce tool is likely updating information less often than Exterminator (which is basically always updating to give you the best information).

Perhaps a config option to control the update lengths would be a good idea for slower systems.

#16 disadjusted

disadjusted

• Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 29 October 2015 - 06:38 PM

in the XFCE task manager you can likewise choose the refresh rate between 500ms and 10s.

even on 500ms it's just 4%.

PS: and that doesn't explain why it gets worse over time. isn't a complaint, wanted to report a bug. or investigate whether it's only me experiencing this. just sayin'...

#17 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12430 posts

Posted 29 October 2015 - 10:04 PM

I'll leave it running on my own system for awhile and see if I notice anything similar. A memory leak would be one thing, but more processor over time is pretty odd.

I'm out of town till next week so will check it out then. Thanks for the report.

#18 disadjusted

disadjusted

• Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 30 October 2015 - 09:30 AM

yeah, that's what i thought. anything i can do to help you with diagnosis?

#19 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12430 posts

Posted 30 October 2015 - 03:26 PM

Not that I know of off hand. Need to sit down and look over the source again. Been awhile since I've touched it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users