Name ideas for a PDF Viewer

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 FameWolf

FameWolf

• Members
  • 330 posts

Posted 10 March 2015 - 03:33 PM

To advance a "screen" would page up and page down handle that?  That's if you wanted next page to jump to a physical page.  I guess my pdf usage is different..I regularly use the print to file feature and pull up coupons etc from the web so my usual usage is to pull up a pdf and print it off.......although I don't see much need to edit one in my personal case.  Of course printing doesn't have to be super complicated...could just be a call to the command line print commands.  I'm not sure I'd use a view only utility due to file associations because if I click on a pdf I may or may not want it to open an app that allows printing so I'd have to go manually into epdfview or another and open the pdf inside it to print.  I'd rather associate a printable app and then not need it.

A big thank you to everyone who contributes to Bodhi Linux

#22 tgentry

tgentry

• Members
  • 84 posts
  • LocationAugusta Ga. USA

Posted 10 March 2015 - 03:37 PM

To advance a "screen" would page up and page down handle that?  That's if you wanted next page to jump to a physical page.  I guess my pdf usage is different..I regularly use the print to file feature and pull up coupons etc from the web so my usual usage is to pull up a pdf and print it off.......although I don't see much need to edit one in my personal case.  Of course printing doesn't have to be super complicated...could just be a call to the command line print commands.  I'm not sure I'd use a view only utility due to file associations because if I click on a pdf I may or may not want it to open an app that allows printing so I'd have to go manually into epdfview or another and open the pdf inside it to print.  I'd rather associate a printable app and then not need it.

I didnt try page up / page down but that does work. I just tried using the arrows at the top for next page / previous page the next page only advances one page. If you have more than 2 pages it will not work.

If you want my Bodhi and you think I'm sexy Come on, sugar, let me know.

#23 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12401 posts
  • LocationBloomington, IL

Posted 10 March 2015 - 05:30 PM

tgentry - are you using the "gitcha" repo branch? It is required for eeVee to be fully functional as it contains an early Elm 1.14 which eeVee needs.

I mentioned that in my post where I said I added eeVee to the repo :)

#24 tgentry

tgentry

• Members
  • 84 posts

Posted 10 March 2015 - 05:35 PM

tgentry - are you using the "gitcha" repo branch? It is required for eeVee to be fully functional as it contains an early Elm 1.14 which eeVee needs.

I mentioned that in my post where I said I added eeVee to the repo :)

I just used the ones in the synaptic listing. I will try with the ones from gitcha. 

#25 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12401 posts

Posted 10 March 2015 - 05:46 PM

Fair warning the gitcha branch may come with some stability issues, ect. ect.

There is a reason packages are there and not in main :)

#26 tgentry

tgentry

• Members
  • 84 posts

Posted 10 March 2015 - 06:19 PM

Fair warning the gitcha branch may come with some stability issues, ect. ect.

There is a reason packages are there and not in main :)

I'll say...wha it has broken my system... what is the command to uninstall them? eeVee will not launch nor will exterminator or synaptic etc... lol

#27 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12401 posts

Posted 10 March 2015 - 06:41 PM

You will need to manually download older versions of whatever packages you updated.

For reference I have gitcha running on my daily laptop without issues and both my test VMs also work as expected with it.

#28 tgentry

tgentry

• Members
  • 84 posts

Posted 10 March 2015 - 06:44 PM

You will need to manually download older versions of whatever packages you updated.

For reference I have gitcha running on my daily laptop without issues and both my test VMs also work as expected with it.

Its all good. I was wanting to do a clean install anyways. :-) Backing up my data now.

#29 Duma

Duma

Artist

• Members
  • 2392 posts
  • LocationRivalta (TO) - Italia

Posted 14 May 2015 - 09:04 AM

The py-elm-application developer Kuuko has baked a pdf viewer!
Here's the announce on E-devel Mailing List:

Yes, it's another Python app. Try it.

(sudo) pip install Lekha
or download:
https://pypi.python....ha-0.2.0.tar.gz
and untar, cd Lekha-0.2.0, (sudo) python setup.py install

Dependencies:
  • Python 2
  • PyPDF2
  • pyxdg
  • python-efl >=1.14
Features:
  • PDF rendering (with evas images, so no editable form fields or anything fancy)
  • PDF bookmarks (outlines)
  • opens files in multiple tabs, and from command line
  • remembers scroll position for every document
No pants were ruined in the making of this software.

Se sei italiano e interessato a Linux, clicca qui!

#30 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12401 posts

Posted 15 May 2015 - 03:57 AM

Yes - Kuuko and I had gone back and forth on ideas and he ended up cooking up a custom thing for displaying PDFs as images.

Some day in a far off land when the E team finally fixes all the crashes we have with new versions of EFL - we will get it into the stable Bodhi repo along with this app that needs EFL 1.14 or better.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users