• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 DaveL60

DaveL60

• Members
  • 197 posts
  • LocationEastern USA

Posted 14 March 2015 - 12:35 PM

I'm largely in the habit of depending on Google Chrome as my primary web brower. On my Windows systems it works great, and also on my Chromebook (as you'd really expect).  So naturally I want to use it with Bodhi as well.  Having done my Bodhi 3.0 installation, I went to Google's site, downloaded the .deb, and ran dpkg to install.  I discovered I had to add one library before the installation would complete.  That done, I loaded up Chrome, signed in to my Google account, loaded Gmail, then a fresh tab with a video (YouTube embedded on another website).  While watching the video I opened couple more tabs and suddenly everything slowed dramatically.  The video came pretty much to a halt.  In addition, my laptop fan cranked up, which it really hadn't done since the 3.0 installation.  I closed Chrome and opened Firefox instead, and it's performance wasn't terribly impressive either.

Now I'm wondering if Chrome and whatever background services Google might install with it are sapping my laptop's performance and driving up the CPU temp.  At the moment I'm back to Midori and fan speed is back to more or less normal.

Anyone else had a similar experience?  

DaveL

A big thank you to everyone who contributes to Bodhi Linux

#2 tgentry

tgentry

• Members
  • 84 posts
  • LocationAugusta Ga. USA

Posted 14 March 2015 - 02:16 PM

I do not use chrome so I have no answer for it. Have you installed htop? I would install it then bring it up in a terminal and launch your browser and do the things again. Watch the htop and see what is using your cpu and memory. This will give you a indication to see what is going on.

If you want my Bodhi and you think I'm sexy Come on, sugar, let me know.

#3 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12524 posts
  • LocationBloomington, IL

Posted 14 March 2015 - 02:30 PM

Chrome and firefox are heavy applications. The modern web is NOT a lightweight application. I regularly have Chrome open with 10-20 tabs and it consistently uses 2+ gigs of RAM to display these.

#4 mbemboom

mbemboom

• Members
  • 29 posts
  • LocationOwensboro, Kentucky

Posted 14 March 2015 - 06:45 PM

I use Chrome pretty regularly on a couple of laptops with 2 gigs of RAM but it can be touchy. I have to watch the number of open tabs and other applications that I have running or it is likely to crash the entire desktop. Like it just did a few minutes ago.

I had too many things open though: Viber desktop client running in Wine, Geany, Terminology, RedNotebook, Focuswriter, and Chrome with one too many tabs (in hindsight) 

"Yeah, well, you know, that’s just, like, your opinion, man. " - The Dude

#5 aeonius

aeonius

Lord of the Website

• Administrators
  • 2644 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 14 March 2015 - 10:00 PM

My Chromebook runs Linux and Chromium seems to fly on it. I don't really like all that Google fuzz, so going for Chromium seems to be a good idea. It is a heavy program compared to say Midori, but I have no problem running a tab with video for the music, a tab for browsing and one for gmail. Hell, I can get away with coding while running Chromium and editing an image in Gimp.

#6 Randy

Randy

Bodhi-Care

• Members
  • 649 posts
  • LocationFort Wayne, IN USA

Posted 14 March 2015 - 11:35 PM

I'm Trying out the  mozilla build of seamonkey. I like it. I've got my memory usage at least 25% lower than google chrome and no lag.

Randy Fry

Linux Addict!

#7 Kev

Kev

An Aged Technophile

• Members
  • 324 posts
  • LocationMichigan USA

Posted 17 March 2015 - 09:51 AM

I'm Trying out the  mozilla build of seamonkey. I like it. I've got my memory usage at least 25% lower than google chrome and no lag.

I have used seamonkey as well... im not a fan of google at all.  I don't user their browser or search engine.  They trap waaaaay to much information in my mind.   Especially on android devices.   Anyways....

- Kevin

#8 mbemboom

mbemboom

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 18 March 2015 - 02:23 AM

This may have been covered elsewhere in the forums, but if not it might prove useful to others. I had noticed lately that anytime I tried to go to the Chrome web store to look at extensions on my two oldest computers it inevitably crashed. I thought this was just part of using older hardware and using Google’s browser. This evening I did a bit of research and found this on an Ubuntu forum:

http://ubuntuforums....d.php?t=2247572

I tried it and it worked for me. If you don’t want to click the link, basically it just involves going to your Chrome settings and disabling hardware acceleration as seen in screen shot below under advanced settings.

shot-2015-03-17_21-17-57.jpg

#9 nomko

nomko

• Members
  • 122 posts
  • LocationThe Hague, The Netherlands

Posted 19 March 2015 - 08:08 AM

@ mbemboom

Why enabling the option "Continue running background apps when Google Chrome is closed" option?? Does that not eat system memory anyway?

MSI GE70-2PE*Quad core Intel Core i7-4710HQ*Kingston 16 GB RAM*Intel 4th Gen. Integr. GPU/NVidia GeForce GTX860M*Qualcomm Atheros Killer E2200/Intel Wireless 3160*Sitecom X5-N600 Router (WLR-5100)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't need Google, my wife knows everything!

#10 mbemboom

mbemboom

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 19 March 2015 - 12:19 PM

It does not cause me any issues one way or the other. When this laptop is turned on Google Chrome is pretty much never closed anyway.

@ mbemboom

Why enabling the option "Continue running background apps when Google Chrome is closed" option?? Does that not eat system memory anyway?

#11 bwbritt86

bwbritt86

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 19 March 2015 - 01:44 PM

I do like the fact that there's a Seamonkey version of AdBlock Plus. Guess I'll have to give it a try.

#12 nomko

nomko

• Members
  • 122 posts
  • LocationThe Hague, The Netherlands

Posted 19 March 2015 - 02:13 PM

It does not cause me any issues one way or the other. When this laptop is turned on Google Chrome is pretty much never closed anyway.

Meaning it is using system memory all the time? Or not?

MSI GE70-2PE*Quad core Intel Core i7-4710HQ*Kingston 16 GB RAM*Intel 4th Gen. Integr. GPU/NVidia GeForce GTX860M*Qualcomm Atheros Killer E2200/Intel Wireless 3160*Sitecom X5-N600 Router (WLR-5100)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't need Google, my wife knows everything!

#13 mbemboom

mbemboom

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 20 March 2015 - 11:58 PM

Meaning it is using system memory all the time? Or not?

I am sorry but I am not certain that I understand what you want to know. I use this particular laptop for web browsing when away from home. I use Google Chrome as my web browser. Anytime the computer is in use, Google Chrome is open. Google Chrome does use system memory. 

#14 bwbritt86

bwbritt86

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 21 March 2015 - 04:11 PM

If I'm correct I think he was asking if Chrome's process and/or services are always running in the system memory even when Chrome is closed. Like certain program updaters do in Windows (freaking adobe! :angry:).

#15 Sitting Fox

Sitting Fox

• Team
  • 551 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 02:07 AM

I'm going through Bodhi Linux 3 for Beginners (took me long enough :lol:) and came across a bit on speeding up Chrome.

It's in the end of section 4.10, or here: https://www.smashwor...3-for-beginners

I remembered this thread in reading it, and so I thought I'd share while I'm there. :)

• Kev likes this

#16 DaveL60

DaveL60

• Members
  • 197 posts
  • LocationEastern USA

Posted 05 April 2015 - 11:56 AM

Thanks for the link to that ebook, I hadn't been aware of it.  Downloaded now for future perusal.

On the whole my Chrome experience has improved after the initial slowness, but there are still moments.  OTOH, my bigger issue now is a few instances of outright system crash (spontaneous power off) while running Chrome.  Never had that happen with Bodhi 2.4 / e17.

DaveL

#17 DaveL60

DaveL60

• Members
  • 197 posts
  • LocationEastern USA

Posted 05 April 2015 - 12:00 PM

basically it just involves going to your Chrome settings and disabling hardware acceleration as seen in screen shot below under advanced settings.

Going to give that a try, given I've had a couple of system crashes.

DaveL

#18 James

James

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 06 August 2016 - 07:11 PM

Try Palemoon, they have a tarball installer linked on their site. www.palemoon.org They are what Firefox used to be. There is some debate on their security level as being ran mostly by one guy, but a whole team does contribute. It's based on the old Firefox code before Hello and Australis, but they've recently moved to Goanna which is a separate, gecko-like engine. They have issues with gmail and certain other sites, but for everyday browsing they are fine. 

#19 BeGo

BeGo

• Members
  • 146 posts
  • LocationBogor, Indonesia

Posted 07 August 2016 - 02:08 PM

I am using Chromium, but,

Yes. I don't know why Chromium needs to reserve so big space just for helping me answering this forum. :P

v2CAraY.png

#20 tuk0z

tuk0z

• Members
  • 49 posts
  • LocationLondon >.< Paris

Posted 14 September 2016 - 12:47 PM

When looking for an efficient enough browser to use (for daily use on a tiny laptop and quick tasks on much faster desktop) I tested the following browsers speed and a couple other efficiency points: Chrome, Firefox, Seamonkey, (Firefox) Light, Palemoon, Midori and Xombrero. Here are some results (if you click on the link then on the full scale image you'll get animated results):

RHc.gif

My test's missing Flashpeak-Slimjet which is an efficient Blink-based browser (impacts the system about the same as Seamonkey).

Now that I use a *fast* browser I find Google Chrome laggy and a gaz factory on my quad-core Chromebook. Some needed add-ons seem to eat resources and power however I did not open a single Chrome tab/window (the ChromeOS concept).

I just realized Bodhi does use less power on my netbook than already super efficient Arch... geez <3

Seeding Bodhi v4.2 Legacy: 3.50 GiB up to now.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: chrome, performance, google

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users