• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 ContemplativeFarmer

ContemplativeFarmer

• Team
  • 55 posts
  • LocationDepends on the day...

Posted 14 October 2016 - 03:28 PM

My experience is that Google Chrome and Chromium and FireFox are in fact hogs.  I run htop or conky most of the time and if any of these three browsers are running, they constantly are at the top of the  cpu and memory usage stack.  Even others apps like WPS Office, RStudio, TexStudio barely show up in the top 5 when these browsers are running.  My laptop(s) are pretty well loaded up with memory, so I don't see too much lag, but it is noticeable.  I find myself killing the browser (whichever one) fairly often.  

For development and troubleshooting web pages though, they sure are handy!  

..life is a strange place...

ContemplativeFarmer

A big thank you to everyone who contributes to Bodhi Linux

#22 DaveL60

DaveL60

• Members
  • 196 posts
  • LocationEastern USA

Posted 15 October 2016 - 12:45 PM

Now that I use a *fast* browser I find Google Chrome laggy and a gaz factory on my quad-core Chromebook. Some needed add-ons seem to eat resources and power however I did not open a single Chrome tab/window (the ChromeOS concept).

Based on the graph, I'm guessing the fast browser you picked is Xombrero?  Do you find it lacking in any features?

My understanding is that one of the reasons Chrome / Chromium is a bit of a hog is that it sandboxes each tab for security reasons. So in this case a faster browser might also be a less secure browser.  I know nothing about Xombrero, so that's just a generalized observation, not intended as a criticism or objection.  Just looking to learn.

Also, is Xombrero an active project? Not much activity showing on its github page.

DaveL

#23 sixtharmy

sixtharmy

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 16 October 2016 - 05:09 PM

I've been using Firefox for many years (never been a fan of Chrome), but the most recent update broke it's integration with "KeepassX". I prefer KeePassX to "KeePass2.0," because it doesn't require "mono" or any other MS code. Basic "KeepassX" isn't capable of integrating with any browser, but there are some branches (https://github.com/k...reboot/keepassx) that interface through "PassIFox." Updating to "Firefox 49" broke this integration (ie username and password no longer automatically loaded on opening a site's login page). I tried several other browsers like "Chrome" (again) and "Seamonkey," that would support KeepassX, and finally settled on "Palemoon." Palemoon is fast. It seems to load pages pretty much as quickly as I can press "enter."

In addition to supporting "KeepassX " through "PassIFox," Palemoon also supports the other security add-ons I use either through Palemoon versions like "Encrypted Web" (HTTPS Everywhere) and "Decentraleyes X.X.X-palemoon," or through regular Mozilla add-ons like "uBlock origin" and "Disconnect," It also accepts "Startpage" as an alternate search engine. Once I added "Palemoon Linux 3.0" and "Foobar," transferred my bookmarks as a saved HTML, and futzed around with "preferences" and "about:config" for a while I ended up something that looks and acts very much like the secured "Firefox Australis" I was replacing, with the advantage of being much more responsive. I've been using it for about a month now and I'm very pleased. I'm so pleased I'm thinking of  moving from "Thunderbird" to Palemoon's "FossaMail."

I have to admit that Jame's earlier comment , "There is some debate on their security level as being ran mostly by one guy, but a whole team does contribute." was something that gave me pause when I first considered Palemoon. However, I rationalized, "couldn't I say the same about "Bodhi?"

If anyone wants to install a reasonably secure version of Palemoon to replace Firefox or Chrome you could probably use this post as an outline. I'd also suggest that you consider subscribing to a secure anonymous VPN. If I move to FossaMail I'll try to write a similar post on the install and customization. I'm also considering moving to Palemoon's sync service. I find the fact that (in addition to username/password credentials) palemoon sync both encrypts synced data before sending and decrypts that synced data only on my machine with a key that remains on my machine is very attractive from a security viewpoint. I'll also let folks know how this works out.

I suppose my emphasis on security might make me appear like a member of the "Tin-Foil Helmet Brigade," but since Snowden we do know that they're watching all of us at least generally. None of the add-ons I'm using are difficult to install, nor do they adversely affect my browsing. I can't see any reason that I should make it easy for the various Business and Government busybodies. If everyone made the snoopers job just a bit more difficult, then mass surveillance might become prohibitively difficult and expensive. End of Rant.

#24 BALLOON a.k.a. Fu-sen.

BALLOON a.k.a. Fu-sen.

• Members
  • 123 posts

Posted 17 October 2016 - 02:11 PM

My Bodhi 3 will mainly use the Pale Moon. It is popular in the lightweight distribution recently.

#25 penguinator

penguinator

• Members
  • 300 posts
  • LocationFunchal

Posted 07 November 2016 - 03:50 PM

I see no mention in this thread of Opera.  

It's been running as well as can be expected on a first-generation netbook (note my signature).  I also have Firefox and Chromium installed, but usually return to Opera, when the SSD indicator light starts to flicker continuously and scrolling locks up, or nearly locks up.

I just discovered there's an Opera plugin that makes it compatible with (apparently all?) plugins/addons/whatever? in the Chrome Store.  Someone mentioned security, so I'll add the reason I kept searching for this compatibility feature is that I can now have Mailvelope running on Opera -- just as well as it does on my Chromium and Firefox installations. 

Bodhi v3.0.0 / stable - 32 bit, Legacy
ASUS eeePC 4G/701-L, Atheros wireless module | ASUS eeePC 701SD, Realtech wireless module

701L, 701SD - Celeron-M 900Mhz

#26 renato.rener

renato.rener

• Members
  • 39 posts
  • LocationSlovenija, Celje

Posted 17 November 2016 - 09:35 AM

Thank you for this informations Opera is the less laggy on My amilo, but i havent tried out xombrero yet.. Will report..

Enlightened after many years of XP

Feel's like 17E-gain! :D
Linux User # 529084

#27 renato.rener

renato.rener

• Members
  • 39 posts
  • LocationSlovenija, Celje

Posted 17 November 2016 - 09:35 AM

Thank you for this informations Opera is the less laggy on My amilo, but i havent tried out xombrero yet.. Will report..

Enlightened after many years of XP

Feel's like 17E-gain! :D
Linux User # 529084

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: chrome, performance, google

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users