Photo

Lost shared folder capability when compiling Vbox additions

share virtualbox headers

Best Answer 1jerry, 26 March 2015 - 09:18 PM

If anyone else has this issue, I found the solution.  Jeff was correct, it had to do with VirtualBox.

The solution was to upgrade VirtualBox to the current (4.3.26 as of now), and re-install Client Additions.  And one more thing.  Somewhere between version 4.3.12 and 4.3.26 some files were put in a different location on the Windows Host and just installing the new version over the top makes all VMs un-startable.  I had to un-install all old version and re-install the newest.  Then after re-running the Guest Additions everything works perfectly.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 1jerry

1jerry

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 24 March 2015 - 12:01 AM

I recently got help here building the VirtualBox headers so I can use my whole screen.  I was getting an error which I was told was harmless unless I was using that feature.  Apparently I was using that feature, since now I cannot share any folder on my host (Windows) system.  I found this when trying to push my changes back to my host using the shared folder, then finding the folder was completly empty in Bodhi Linux (Client).

The command I used (which worked before "fixing" the headers by installing linux-headers-3.16.0-29) is:

$ sudo mount -t vboxsf bp_inv bp_inv

/sbin/mount.vboxsf: mounting failed with the error: No such device

bp_inv still appears unchanged in my VirtualBox "shared folders list" but not in the mount -l command.

Can I have both full screen and shared folders?  How do I get the headers to match -or- the installer to look in the right place?

What I've done so far.

Output (exerpt) from VBoxLinuxAdditions.run:

The headers for the current running kernel were not found. If the following
module compilation fails then this could be the reason.

and later

Building the shared folder support module ...fail!
(Look at /var/log/vboxadd-install.log to find out what went wrong)

looking in that log file I see:

make KERNELRELEASE=3.16.0-29-generic -C /lib/modules/3.16.0-29-generic/build M=/var/lib/dkms/vboxguest/4.3.12/build............(bad exit status: 2)
Error! Bad return status for module build on kernel: 3.16.0-29-generic (i686)
Consult /var/lib/dkms/vboxguest/4.3.12/build/make.log for more information.
Failed to install using DKMS, attempting to install without
grep: /lib/modules/3.16.0-29-generic/build/include/linux/version.h: No such file or directory <---1053 .h files but no version.h.  In fact "locate version.h" shows no version.h file anywhere under /lib/modules, so I am suspecting something is looking in the wrong place.  I found a 2-line version.h in /usr/include/linux that matched exactly one in /usr/src/linux-headers-3.16.0-29-generic/include/generated/uapi/linux/version.h, but I don't know if it has any relevance.
make KBUILD_VERBOSE=1 CONFIG_MODULE_SIG= -C /lib/modules/3.16.0-29-generic/build SUBDIRS=/tmp/vbox.0 SRCROOT=/tmp/vbox.0 modules
test -e include/generated/autoconf.h -a -e include/config/auto.conf || (          \
     echo >&2;                                   \
     echo >&2 "  ERROR: Kernel configuration is invalid.";          \
     echo >&2 "         include/generated/autoconf.h or include/config/auto.conf are missing.";\
     echo >&2 "         Run 'make oldconfig && make prepare' on kernel src to fix it.";     \
     echo >&2 ;                                   \
again, missing under /lib/modules, but not /usr/src/linux-headers-3.16.0-29-generic/ but I don't know why it is looking in the wrong place.  I looked at VBoxLinuxAdditions.run but that was no help.

Does this give any useful clues?

A big thank you to everyone who contributes to Bodhi Linux

#2 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12524 posts
  • LocationBloomington, IL

Posted 24 March 2015 - 12:44 AM

Kernel headers are installed by default starting with Bodhi 3.0.0.

Virtual Box and Guest additions are closed source software. I'd recommend opening a support request with their folks as to where they expect the kernel headers other than where Ubuntu places them by default.

#3 1jerry

1jerry

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 24 March 2015 - 02:43 AM

Kernel headers are installed by default starting with Bodhi 3.0.0.

Virtual Box and Guest additions are closed source software. I'd recommend opening a support request with their folks as to where they expect the kernel headers other than where Ubuntu places them by default.

Thanks.  I'll try them then.

#4 1jerry

1jerry

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 09:18 PM   Best Answer

If anyone else has this issue, I found the solution.  Jeff was correct, it had to do with VirtualBox.

The solution was to upgrade VirtualBox to the current (4.3.26 as of now), and re-install Client Additions.  And one more thing.  Somewhere between version 4.3.12 and 4.3.26 some files were put in a different location on the Windows Host and just installing the new version over the top makes all VMs un-startable.  I had to un-install all old version and re-install the newest.  Then after re-running the Guest Additions everything works perfectly.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: share, virtualbox, headers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users