Photo

Resizing windows and system menus ?

Best Answer Duma, 26 March 2015 - 10:04 AM

Hi,

I've found resizing windows quite a difficult task in Bodhi.

As a context, I have been a computing programer for 25 years (gosh I am old), and I have been using Linux system (mainly Ubuntu and derivatives, but also Mandrake, Puppy, Gentoo ...) as my main desktop for the 10 last years.

It never took me so much time to resize a window than with Bodhi: if one is not in the exact corner of the window, it's not possible to resize the window.

Am I the only one finding this difficult ? Is there a trick to do it easily ?

As a side note, I tried to use the system menu (top left corner icon) to resize the window. If I use the menu command, I can resize the window OK ... but it does not stop resizing every time I get near the window, it gets smaller ... so in the end, the window is gone.

Surely, I am not doing this right ... but how am I supposed to do this ?

As a last note, the system menu, is usually accessible (on most other system I use) with the Alt+Space keyboard shortcut ... but not on Bodhi !

Is there a shortcut to access that menu ?

The difficult of window resizing is theme dependent: which theme are you using?

For example Bodhi Forum Theme should have large orange handle that allows you to easly resize.

I suppose I can try to make larger space to resize windows in Radiance theme, this is an issue that lots of people have noticed.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 ComputingFroggy

ComputingFroggy

• Members
  • 109 posts
  • LocationMarseilles, France

Posted 25 March 2015 - 02:39 PM

Hi,

As a context, I have been a computing programer for 25 years (gosh I am old), and I have been using Linux system (mainly Ubuntu and derivatives, but also Mandrake, Puppy, Gentoo ...) as my main desktop for the 10 last years.

It never took me so much time to resize a window than with Bodhi: if one is not in the exact corner of the window, it's not possible to resize the window.

As a side note, I tried to use the system menu (top left corner icon) to resize the window. If I use the menu command, I can resize the window OK ... but it does not stop resizing every time I get near the window, it gets smaller ... so in the end, the window is gone.

As a last note, the system menu, is usually accessible (on most other system I use) with the Alt+Space keyboard shortcut ... but not on Bodhi !

A big thank you to everyone who contributes to Bodhi Linux

#2 FameWolf

FameWolf

• Members
  • 330 posts

Posted 25 March 2015 - 03:32 PM

Hi,

Can't help much on the window resizing.....I agree..it's not as easy as it could be.   As for the Alt-Space..one of the things I've found is enlightenment/bodhi do not use any of the "standard" key bindings you find in kde, gnome and lxde such as alt-f2, ctrl-alt-esc.....or rather they do but they do different things!   If you go into settings to input, key bindings you can see a list of key bindings and click  on them to see what they do....you can then change them however you wish.  I figured one day I'd set aside some time to open up kde and map a "standard list" but for the time being it's come in handy when running bodhi in VM to have ctrl-alt-backspace which normally kills/restarts x to be on ctrl-alt-end...keeps me from accidentally killing my host session. ;)

#3 ComputingFroggy

ComputingFroggy

• Members
  • 109 posts

Posted 25 March 2015 - 03:43 PM

I don't mind learning different keyboard shortcut ... and I've already  setup "legacy" ones: like Logo+E for PcManFM !

It's just that I can not the window system menu in the keyboard shortcut choices ... if anyone knew what it was ?

#4 sef

sef

Bodhi Builder Wizard

• Developer
  • 341 posts
  • LocationATL

Posted 25 March 2015 - 03:47 PM

I like to set my mouse bindings as such:

<win> + right-click = will resize the window, so I can drag it to the size I like. Click anywhere near a corner inside the window hold <win> and right-click to drag the size.

<win> + middle-click = will move the window.

(To find mouse bindings: Main menu --> Settings --> All --> Input --> Mouse Bindings)

Of course you could set it to any mouse bindings you want. I couldn't live without those mouse bindings because I've found the same as you, it's almost impossible to find that "pixel" in the corner to change the size. :)

Of all the features of Enlightenment, I find the ease of setting key & mouse bindings to be invaluable for routine stuff.

Forum Rules (link)

---------------------------------------------------

Nothing is as simple as it seems at first, or as hopeless as it seems in the middle,

or as finished as it seems in the end.

"That's not how the force works..."  -- Han Solo

#5 ComputingFroggy

ComputingFroggy

• Members
  • 109 posts

Posted 25 March 2015 - 04:18 PM

Thanks to Sef (good to know I am not the only one finding difficult to resize) problems solved:

- I've set a mouse shortcut to resize windows

- I've found the menu option for the window menu (right button + ALT)

There's still this weird bug (as described in post #1) when using the window menu to resize: am I the only one effected by this of other users can see this ?

Also there's a little inconsistency: in the keyboard shortcut a LOGO key is mentioned, and in the mouse shortcut a WIN key is mentioned ... I beleive they are the same ... it could be just a translation issue !

#6 Charles@Bodhi

Charles@Bodhi

Old Faithful

• Moderators
  • 4677 posts
  • LocationZeist, The Netherlands

Posted 25 March 2015 - 04:27 PM

I don't mind learning different keyboard shortcut ... and I've already  setup "legacy" ones: like Logo+E for PcManFM !

It's just that I can not the window system menu in the keyboard shortcut choices ... if anyone knew what it was ?

OK, on my keyboard there is a key between RightCTRL and ALTGr with a "list" symbol and a tiny arrow. In Bodhi that is the Menu key. Single it opens the Main Menu, used with ALT opens the Favorites Menu and used with CTRL opens the ClientMenu.

Enjoy,

Charles

#7 sef

sef

Bodhi Builder Wizard

• Developer
  • 341 posts
  • LocationATL

Posted 25 March 2015 - 05:00 PM

As far as the 'logo' key issue, I'm sure that's a keyboard layout difference. In my lower left keyboard I have this sequence from left to right:  <ctrl> <fn> <win> <alt> <spacebar>

The win key is what I should probably refer to as the logo key. But I also use <ctrl> and <alt> with mouse bindings and it works just fine too.

Regarding the resizing through the menu, you're right, it does seem a little strange the way it works. I had never used that method before. What I found successful was to select resize in the menu, then use my arrow keys to resize, and when I had it to a size I liked -- hit the return key. If I hit escape key instead of return, it will set the window back to the original size. Hope that's what you were wondering about.

Forum Rules (link)

Nothing is as simple as it seems at first, or as hopeless as it seems in the middle,

or as finished as it seems in the end.

"That's not how the force works..."  -- Han Solo

#8 Randy

Randy

Bodhi-Care

• Members
  • 653 posts
  • LocationFort Wayne, IN USA

Posted 25 March 2015 - 09:40 PM

Since I Installed comix cursors, so my mouse was more visable, I now have the normal arrows to resize my windows.  It was a nice side effect!

Randy Fry

Linux Addict!

#9 Sitting Fox

Sitting Fox

• Team
  • 551 posts

Posted 25 March 2015 - 10:53 PM

Hey ComputingFroggy,

I have similar happen once in a long while, though I've never been able to figure out what causes it. Seemed to happen out of nowhere when trying to resize regularly.

I usually try to change the desktop by key, try key commands for Run Everything, or just killing the window. I forget what tends to undo it, since as I said, it happens once in a long while.

#10 Duma

Duma

Artist

• Members
  • 2392 posts
  • LocationRivalta (TO) - Italia

Posted 26 March 2015 - 10:04 AM   Best Answer

Hi,

The difficult of window resizing is theme dependent: which theme are you using?

For example Bodhi Forum Theme should have large orange handle that allows you to easly resize.

I suppose I can try to make larger space to resize windows in Radiance theme, this is an issue that lots of people have noticed.

Se sei italiano e interessato a Linux, clicca qui!

#11 ComputingFroggy

ComputingFroggy

• Members
  • 109 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 06:05 PM

OK, thanks for all the answers.

I use the radiance theme ... but I am going to try other ones as that was suggested about another issue.

About the problem, with the resizing command in the window menu, I did not think about using the keyboard ... it works well and that makes sense. Still I do think there's a bug when using the mouse.

#12 PolyFormer

PolyFormer

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 January 2018 - 06:12 PM

Just got started with Bodhi and Moksha and coming from ubuntu with the nice white arrows on window edges, resizing seemed difficult.

Key Bindings are gonna save me a lot of time.

Left Click > Settings > All > Input > Key Bindings

Once there, scroll down the Actions on the right until you get to the Window settings.

Press the + Add  button and select a keyboard shortcut combo - a good idea is to see which bindings are already there by default, so you can get an idea of these and how to map your own. For example, I mapped 2 combos for Move and Resize using CTRL + arrow keys, as these are convenient for moving the elements across the screen.

You'll also have to go activate Keyboard mapping for Windows Geometry.

Left Click > Settings > Settings Panel > Windows > Windows Geometry > Maximization (Tab) + Keyboard (Tab)

Check the Manipulation  option for resizing in Maximization and the select the parameters for Keyboard actions.

Hope this helps.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users