Photo

E17 vs E19 - Which are you using and why?

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#1 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12437 posts
  • LocationBloomington, IL

Posted 03 April 2015 - 10:39 PM

Now that Bodhi 3 has been out for a little while, I'd like to gauge some feedback from the folks who have been using enlightenment for awhile on what the general thoughts are of E17 vs E19. Which are you using and why?

A big thank you to everyone who contributes to Bodhi Linux

#2 alienman24

alienman24

• Members
  • 59 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 03 April 2015 - 11:53 PM

I use e17 on my student's eeepc netbooks and the old dell machines. I use e-19 on my yoga laptop.

#3 soblivion

soblivion

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 04 April 2015 - 12:09 AM

I've got e19 on 2 laptops and 1 desktop.

None of my sytems are current or high end, but they seem to handle e19 just fine. I've had some weirdness early on, but nothing I couldn't work around.

#4 aka jazz

aka jazz

• Banned
  • 611 posts

Posted 04 April 2015 - 12:23 AM

@soblivion

Mind describing what that 'weirdness' is? Just curious, if it was on e17 or e19, that's all...

Screenshots of e17 at the Gallerie des shedied and here for just one only. Incidentally,why don't you try our friendly IRC channel for some help? (link up top) or watch an e-ducational clip that's 2 and a half minutes long

#5 FameWolf

FameWolf

• Members
  • 330 posts

Posted 04 April 2015 - 12:23 AM

E19 in VM and on one 32 bit laptop.  E17 Legacy on an older laptop.  I did try E19 on the legacy machine but it was more sluggish and I went back to E17.

#6 Sitting Fox

Sitting Fox

• Team
  • 551 posts

Posted 04 April 2015 - 12:38 AM

e19 is my personal preference. My main laptop runs it, as do all my Chromebooks. I like how easy themes are to customize in comparison, and it overall just looks more snazzy to me.

I feel the iBar in e19 is superior to the options in e17. Despite Engage's shininess, its functionality is lacking in comparison. iBar is much closer to what I was looking for when I first started using Bodhi.

e19 isn't totally perfect though. There are some oddities that happen that I've not been able to reproduce on my own, though they'll happen again seemingly out of nowhere. (I just don't know what causes them.) Not too often though. But usually using my key commands to call up Run Everything, switching the desktop, or just restarting Enlightenment will set things right.

The older family machine runs e17...because it's old. :lol: I want to get the most speed and stability for that as I can.

#7 Randy

Randy

Bodhi-Care

• Members
  • 637 posts
  • LocationFort Wayne, IN USA

Posted 04 April 2015 - 03:46 AM

Seeing this post reminded me that I hadn't tried e-17 in Bodhi 3.0 yet. So I swapped them out, an I'm glad I did. It's nice to have the scale module back, along with the advance button in themes. It's nice to be able to mix or match theme components again. It's also nice to only have to run 1 system tray to see all my indicators and tray icons.  Not to mention the 200 MB less of memory it takes.

E-19 seems like a regression to me. I don't think I'll be switching back anytime soon.

For me, E-17 still rules. Just would like to know where the e-17 forecast module went?

Randy Fry

Linux Addict!

#8 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12437 posts

Posted 04 April 2015 - 04:34 AM

I'm still in the process of collecting up all the extra bits for E17 that we had in previous Bodhi versions. Hoping to get a lot of them fixed up over the course of the next week.

After using nothing but E19 for the last few months as my primary desktop and then coming back to E17 in the last couple of days, I have to say I am wondering myself what we really gained by making the move.

With E17 we have a faster desktop, a better selection of modules in terms of things like engage / comp-scale, and we have extra things E19 is missing like a functional xembed systray and advanced themeing features.

This post was to gauge what the community thinks of the differences, but I personally am having some serious thought about what we gain by moving to E19. There might be some merit to simply using the existing E17 desktop and simply working on ironing out the few bugs it contains and maybe adding a few new features to it as well. 

Providing two desktops fragments what people are using, creates confusion in documentation (and things like themes on the app center), and causes more work for myself and other team members. Not to mention the new bugs E19 has on top of the issues it still has that have not been fixed from E17 days.

Lots to think about.

#9 BeGo

BeGo

• Members
  • 139 posts
  • LocationBogor, Indonesia

Posted 04 April 2015 - 09:25 AM

A tie on both for me. They feel the same. I install e19 because it is newer, but no weight tipper for me. :)

I may prefer e19 as soon as all e17 themes implemented. Other than easier theme control and OpenGL support, I feel at home on both DE. :)

#10 fozzie

fozzie

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 04 April 2015 - 02:57 PM

My thoughts fall inline with those of Sitting Fox.

I have distros with gnome-shell and cinnamon desktops installed, but the current e19 iteration of ibar and compositing feels superior to those desktops.

#11 JollyRoger

JollyRoger

• Team
  • 191 posts
  • LocationHigh Wycombe, UK

Posted 04 April 2015 - 03:19 PM

I have a dual boot system on my main computer with E19 on one partition and E17 (Legacy) on the other. That computer is connected to a Benq monitor (DVI input). The E17 Legacy system runs perfectly on that monitor at the highest resolution (1920x1080), but the E19 system produces a terrible flicker at that resolution and will only run flicker-free at a much lower resolution. I therefore use E17 mainly on that computer.

My only reason for keeping the E19 partition on that computer is that E17 Legacy has given me problems with WPS Writer - in fact WPS Writer completely collapsed and will not run at all, despite reinstalling - whereas it is rock solid on E19. I suspect the problem arose when I changed the interface from ribbon style to classic - Writer failed shortly after making that change. (The same thing happened on another computer on which I'd installed E17 Legacy - Writer collapsed after changing the interface style. I've now reinstalled E17 Legacy on that computer and reinstalled WPS Office, and this time I'm not going to change the interface style of Writer. So far it's still OK.)

I also have E19 running on a 10-year old Dell Inspiron laptop, and it runs very well on that. On the whole I prefer E19 to E17, but I agree there is not a huge advantage. What I don't like about E19 is the fact that Systray doesn't work. I use Dropbox a lot, and it's nice to have Systray for that.

#12 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12437 posts

Posted 04 April 2015 - 03:44 PM

JollyRoger -

WPS seems to work fine here with E17.6:

e-552006bc32b5e9.27787203.jpg

#13 Sitting Fox

Sitting Fox

• Team
  • 551 posts

Posted 04 April 2015 - 04:20 PM

I'm still in the process of collecting up all the extra bits for E17 that we had in previous Bodhi versions. Hoping to get a lot of them fixed up over the course of the next week.

After using nothing but E19 for the last few months as my primary desktop and then coming back to E17 in the last couple of days, I have to say I am wondering myself what we really gained by making the move.

With E17 we have a faster desktop, a better selection of modules in terms of things like engage / comp-scale, and we have extra things E19 is missing like a functional xembed systray and advanced themeing features.

This post was to gauge what the community thinks of the differences, but I personally am having some serious thought about what we gain by moving to E19. There might be some merit to simply using the existing E17 desktop and simply working on ironing out the few bugs it contains and maybe adding a few new features to it as well. 

Providing two desktops fragments what people are using, creates confusion in documentation (and things like themes on the app center), and causes more work for myself and other team members. Not to mention the new bugs E19 has on top of the issues it still has that have not been fixed from E17 days.

Lots to think about.

Heya Jeff,

If it's thought that it might be better to make e17 the default for everything, I don't mind. But I'd be disappointed if e19 was no longer an alternative kept-up option and if all e19 stuff was ripped out of the wiki.

e17 just doesn't have the functionality I want in comparison. All the custom modules, I didn't use them and don't miss them. (Conky fills a good deal of those roles if I ever wanted something anyway.) Same for mixing themes or whatever else anyone can come up with. Not wanted, not missed.

If the e17 Radiance theme works similarly to the e19 one, I might be able to replace that on the Chromebooks and maybe that might work better for them. But without that new iBar on my own computer...no, I don't wanna go back. :lol: Engage is a shallow, pretty (oil-y rainbow?) puddle in comparison.

#14 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12437 posts

Posted 04 April 2015 - 05:23 PM

E19 will always be in the repositories. For example though - did you know I haven't pushed out the latest version of E19.4 to the stable repos because it breaks things like system notifications, but doesn't really resolve any actual bugs? This is the type of thing I am sick of dealing with from E18+.

Sure, the ibar previews are nice - but other than that new the ibar is utter garbage. It doesn't work as a proper taskbar because it ignores things like system dialogs and certain applications windows. I've created tickets about this and the E team has no desire to fix the issue.

I am basically thinking moving to just E17 would reduce duplicate effort on my part and provide an overall better end user experience for most people.

#15 Uncle Slacky

Uncle Slacky

• Members
  • 136 posts

Posted 04 April 2015 - 07:06 PM

I'm using E17, as E19 was just too sluggish on my eeePC 701 4G - I even switched to MX-14 with XFCE when it looked as if E19 was going to be all there was (around the time Jeff left). I came back when the legacy version was introduced. I really don't see any advantage to E19 over E17, at least not for my use cases (older and less powerful machines).

The combination of E17 and a near bare-bones set of applications on installation make it really attractive proposition for those of us trying to keep older machines running and for converting former XP users.

#16 Randy

Randy

Bodhi-Care

• Members
  • 637 posts
  • LocationFort Wayne, IN USA

Posted 04 April 2015 - 07:55 PM

I have a dual boot system on my main computer with E19 on one partition and E17 (Legacy) on the other. That computer is connected to a Benq monitor (DVI input). The E17 Legacy system runs perfectly on that monitor at the highest resolution (1920x1080), but the E19 system produces a terrible flicker at that resolution and will only run flicker-free at a much lower resolution. I therefore use E17 mainly on that computer.

My only reason for keeping the E19 partition on that computer is that E17 Legacy has given me problems with WPS Writer - in fact WPS Writer completely collapsed and will not run at all, despite reinstalling - whereas it is rock solid on E19. I suspect the problem arose when I changed the interface from ribbon style to classic - Writer failed shortly after making that change. (The same thing happened on another computer on which I'd installed E17 Legacy - Writer collapsed after changing the interface style. I've now reinstalled E17 Legacy on that computer and reinstalled WPS Office, and this time I'm not going to change the interface style of Writer. So far it's still OK.)

I also have E19 running on a 10-year old Dell Inspiron laptop, and it runs very well on that. On the whole I prefer E19 to E17, but I agree there is not a huge advantage. What I don't like about E19 is the fact that Systray doesn't work. I use Dropbox a lot, and it's nice to have Systray for that.

I haven't had any trouble with wps on e-17 either. But I haven't switched from the ribbon. So thanks for the info, I just won't change the interface.

Randy Fry

Linux Addict!

#17 Sitting Fox

Sitting Fox

• Team
  • 551 posts

Posted 04 April 2015 - 08:21 PM

Heya Jeff,

E19 will always be in the repositories.

That's good to know.

For example though - did you know I haven't pushed out the latest version of E19.4 to the stable repos because it breaks things like system notifications, but doesn't really resolve any actual bugs?

I did not. Thanks for doing that. :lol: :D

Sure, the ibar previews are nice - but other than that new the ibar is utter garbage. It doesn't work as a proper taskbar because it ignores things like system dialogs and certain applications windows.

And yet, I still like it over the old iBar and Engage..... :lol: It's the grouping that I like above all else. It's the one feature I've wanted, and it sucked (and still does) that one cannot install the alternative docks in the repos just to have that.

I've created tickets about this and the E team has no desire to fix the issue.

Yeah, I went to go look at what you're talking about. So e20 won't have iBar but something else? Hmm.

This is the type of thing I am sick of dealing with from E18+.

I am basically thinking moving to just E17 would reduce duplicate effort on my part and provide an overall better end user experience for most people.

Fair enough.

Maybe I'll try to experiment with the e17 Radiance theme this weekend and see how that goes. I was thinking of redo-ing the installs on the Chromebooks from scratch anyway.

#18 aeonius

aeonius

Lord of the Website

• Administrators
  • 2644 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 04 April 2015 - 09:51 PM

You do realize people want the latest and "greatest", and if the version number they are getting is lower than the latest, there's gonna be bitc... ehm, complaining. 

#19 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12437 posts

Posted 04 April 2015 - 09:58 PM

You do realize people want the latest and "greatest", and if the version number they are getting is lower than the latest, there's gonna be bitc... ehm, complaining. 

People that are going to complain about being on a different version number are people I'm not going to miss as users.

This also isn't exactly true. Look how popular the Mate and Trinity desktops are - they are forks of old Gnome and KDE releases people liked.

#20 aeonius

aeonius

Lord of the Website

• Administrators
  • 2644 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 04 April 2015 - 10:16 PM

This also isn't exactly true.

Hence "people", I'm sure the vast majority won't think of it that way, it's just that people do. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users