Photo

E17 vs E19 - Which are you using and why?

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#41 Duma

Duma

Artist

• Members
  • 2392 posts
  • LocationRivalta (TO) - Italia

Posted 07 April 2015 - 12:01 PM

Ok, so you consider to take care of E17 and try to make something like MATE / Trinity... a "fork" of it and take care of that.

Thats a big decision, seems pretty cool! ;) especially if E19 is a Vista and E17 a XP ;)

I could imagine how E-devs are because they generally seems to be far from the end users, so I understand your frustration (I've felt the same in the past).

I'm asking myself if starting bugfix on E17 while E19 continues reveals itself a great work that will end at the moment E19/E20 will be stable (and I hope soon or late it will)... so maybe trying to fix things on E19 could be a better solution in a long-time vision, but I suppose you are asking yourself too. :D

Se sei italiano e interessato a Linux, clicca qui!

A big thank you to everyone who contributes to Bodhi Linux

#42 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12492 posts
  • LocationBloomington, IL

Posted 07 April 2015 - 03:45 PM

Ok, so you consider to take care of E17 and try to make something like MATE / Trinity... a "fork" of it and take care of that.

This would be exactly the idea.

maybe trying to fix things on E19 could be a better solution in a long-time vision, but I suppose you are asking yourself too

E19 has way more issues than E17 does. On top of this any improvements we make will be automatically reset when E20 comes out and we "upgrade" to it. Past this - E19 will not work on older hardware. If we work on tuning E17 we can use the same perfected desktop on everything.

#43 Kev

Kev

An Aged Technophile

• Members
  • 324 posts
  • LocationMichigan USA

Posted 07 April 2015 - 05:08 PM

I don't think E20 will be out for beta anytime soon....

- Kevin

#44 Kev

Kev

An Aged Technophile

• Members
  • 324 posts
  • LocationMichigan USA

Posted 07 April 2015 - 05:13 PM

Can anyone say whether or not theming is any better or worse between E17 and E19?

- Kevin

#45 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12492 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 05:18 PM

The difference between themeing in E19 and E17 is that E19 theme also contain elementary components and they all get set at once. E17 themes can also contain elementary components, but they take two steps to set both. One of the first improvements I will be looking into making for E17 is changing this so you can apply a theme once and have it apply E/GTK/Elementary themes all at once.

#46 Kev

Kev

An Aged Technophile

• Members
  • 324 posts
  • LocationMichigan USA

Posted 07 April 2015 - 05:21 PM

The difference between themeing in E19 and E17 is that E19 theme also contain elementary components and they all get set at once. E17 themes can also contain elementary components, but they take two steps to set both. One of the first improvements I will be looking into making for E17 is changing this so you can apply a theme once and have it apply E/GTK/Elementary themes all at once.

Sounds like a nice plan.   I tend to forget about changing the GTK theme when im playing around ....  usually resulting in something quite ugly...

- Kevin

#47 Duma

Duma

Artist

• Members
  • 2392 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 08:03 PM

Can anyone say whether or not theming is any better or worse between E17 and E19?

If "theming" is write a theme, there's absolutely not differences: the language is the same and there are only changes on groups' name.

ELEMENTARY (or ELM widget) are themeable on both the system in the same way. But on old E17 theme nobody cares about that because no-one used Elementary.

Now that there's application on Elementary and on E19 the theme are merged, a good theme should have the ELM parts.

If "theming" is use a theme, on E17 you have to set a theme separately for Enlightenment (the Edje theme) from Settings -> Theme and for Elementary from Elementary Config.

On E19 there's only a bundle theme that contains both.

This would be exactly the idea.

This is pretty cool and an approach like this is very interesting. Do you/we have the forces as Bodhi Team to do this?

#48 hazel123

hazel123

• Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 09:50 PM

Thanks, you've just answered a query I had about themes in the legacy version.  So I've now installed the legacy version to my old Eee PC 4GB, updated it, installed Synaptic, GDebi, 4 extra themes, 4 extra icon sets, Mirage, Thunar File Manager, VLC, Abiword, Evince, Firefox and Adobe Flash.  And I still have 1GB free.  Now I've tweaked themes and icons I am feeling more familiar with it.

My query on themes was going to be - I have the two available E17 themes, but am not a great fan of black or grey, although they are both nice and clean looking.  So I installed two of the older E17 themes from synaptic - bodhi7 and Nostrum (yes I know it's black and grey but it's also very artistic!).  They both run fine, but the Enlightenment file manager is blacked out with the older themes, so I installed Thunar.  However, whichever theme or gtk I have, the File Manager window and folders are still black and orange.  Which is ok, but as you said earlier you are looking at themes that go across the board (forgive my lack of terminology).  So basically the older theme is more like a wallpaper?  I'm impressed at how fast software installs.  My only gripe (and I know it is early days) is the lack of software in the App Centre.  The old Appcentre had much more in it and also the packages.  I wouldn't describe myself as a beginner to Linux but not quite at intermediate stage either, and using synaptic is always nerve racking for certain things as you never know which version etc.

It is so fast on the Eeepc 4GB it reminds me of cloud based distros like Jolicloud (that was).  My requests would be - a much fuller app centre, many more themes like the old beautiful artistic ones - and the 'places' module gadget thingy so I can put it on my desktop, and which was unique to Bodhi and one of my favourite things!  Meanwhile I've downloaded disk utility.

#49 Duma

Duma

Artist

• Members
  • 2392 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 10:01 PM

So basically the older theme is more like a wallpaper?

No. Old E17 Theme draws Window Border, Shelves, Modules/Gadget and Enlightenment "Dialog" Window (all the settings dialog window).

If the EFM is blacked out, as you say, it's because you are using a old theme, even for E17.4 (the version available, if I remember right, now on Synaptic).

#50 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12492 posts

Posted 08 April 2015 - 03:47 AM

hazel - the app center is minimal by design. If you want every application in the repos listed you should install Synaptic or the Ubuntu software center. AppCenter applications are completely unrelated to E17 and E19 discussion though.

The places module is in the Bodhi repos. It works fine with E17 and it half works with E19. Install the package places-e17 or places-e19 depending on which desktop you are using.

#51 marcel

marcel

• Members
  • 194 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 08 April 2015 - 04:44 AM

I would welcome the further development of E17. One of the reasons I use Bodhi is because I want my OS to use the least possible resources and should not be slowed down. E17 definately fits that requirement, while E19 uses much more. That's why I installed E17 on my 8gb i5 laptop instead of E19. I believe E19 is a step in the wrong direction. We have enough bloated memory consuming desktops, but not enough good looking low consuming ones.

#52 hazel123

hazel123

• Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 08 April 2015 - 09:04 AM

Ok.  I didn't realise you could install the ubuntu software centre.  Still preferred the old app centre with a bit more on offer though.  I'll look for the places module - thanks!

#53 Randy

Randy

Bodhi-Care

• Members
  • 646 posts
  • LocationFort Wayne, IN USA

Posted 08 April 2015 - 09:19 AM

@hazel123 Don't forget to match your application theme to your Bodhi theme. menu/settings/all/look/application theme.

Randy Fry

Linux Addict!

#54 cooler

cooler

• Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 08 April 2015 - 05:59 PM

As it is right now I'd also prefer E17; E19 is nice but not quite there yet (in my opinion of course). Going back to E17 I hope a new Bodhi release ?! is in order to include some modules and update some included software to newer versions; also some themes probably. I missed the most the CPU module.

#55 soblivion

soblivion

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 03:00 PM

@soblivion

Mind describing what that 'weirdness' is? Just curious, if it was on e17 or e19, that's all...

Sorry for my delayed response.

The "weirdness" that I speak of is primarily with e19. Mostly random occurences. Anomolies in the video display, I suspect due to the compositor.  I would get black windows on some applications requiring a restart of said application. I also had a situation where I introduced an AV reciever connected by HDMI between the computer and monitor that required a full reinstall in order to get a usable desktop.(I'm sure it could have been fixed other ways, I chose the "easy" way out)

I've since resolved these issues, but still get the ocassional  "black window".  (Of course I understand the purpose of this thread and I'm not looking for support here.)

All of that said, I've been a user of Bodhi Linux for several years now. I'm not very active in the community, but do check the forums on occasion. Bodhi is definately my choice for a fast, solid,  problem free desktop. If it is decided to make e17 the default  desktop, I would completely support that decision and use e17.

I trust Jeff and the rest of you guys that develop Bodhi. Reading through this thread, it seems that there are many valid reasons to use e17 over e19.

I admit, I am guilty of wanting to have "the latest and greatest" but that's  just silly.  To be completely honest, I will say that I prefered my e17 desktop over my e19. I upgraded to e19 just to have the latest version. While it's usable, there are certainly things I miss about e17.

#56 jbradt

jbradt

• Members
  • 101 posts
  • Locationcentral NY

Posted 12 April 2015 - 12:51 PM

After playing with both, I prefer e17 on my desktop (gaming rig; all the bells and whistles), as well as my laptop (asus vivobook 202e).  Pretty much for reasons already expressed in this thread.  Also because the places module is freaking awesome.

I've been using bodhi for a long time, and have consistently been impressed with the quality of the product as well as the community.  That being said, I'm all in favor of a fork of e17.  I can't wait to see how it progresses!

Keep up the good work, team!

#57 rich2005

rich2005

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 20 April 2015 - 05:06 PM

There might be a case for going back to E17 but E19 is here so I manage with it.

Here are screenshots of my old (now-slow-as-hell) Acer A110 netbook (1GB/16GB SSD) and an old Bodhi installation.
Why do I keep it, silliest of reasons, I like the theme and the clock and the 3G wireless chip works out of the box.

More up to date, an Acer C720 ChromeBook (2GB/32GB SSD) Bodhi 3. Works quite well, sometimes freezes requiring a reboot. Something that never happens on my KDE desktop.  Keyboard typing is a bit hit and miss but I suppose that is the chromebook electronics. I think I will keep it, but one wish please. Some nice light themes, Radiance is ok, I know the fashion is for dark, but not everyone has wonderful eyesight. 

#58 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12492 posts

Posted 20 April 2015 - 07:22 PM

There are a lot more themes for E17 and E17 allows you to mix and match parts of different themes you like.

Also - random lock ups are not normal on the Chromebook hardware. I've used mine for entire days and a total of hundreds of hours without issues like that.

#59 SmartDuck

SmartDuck

Zenware Developer

• Developer
  • 82 posts
  • LocationWaalwijk, the Netherlands

Posted 21 April 2015 - 05:33 PM

On my Dell Lattitude E4300 E17 is faster.  So E17 for me.

Running...

Bodhi 4.3.1 64bit on a Lenovo 110s

Bodhi 4.1.0 Legacy on a Dell Latitude D505
Damn Small 4.4.10 on an old Compaq Armada 1590DT (48MB memory and 3GB harddisk and still usable for administration tasks)
A couple of Raspberry Pi 's,

Arduino' s

and MSX 1 and 2 computers

#60 Randy

Randy

Bodhi-Care

• Members
  • 646 posts
  • LocationFort Wayne, IN USA

Posted 22 April 2015 - 03:45 AM

I believe I'm going back to 2.4 until there are more modules available for e-17 on 3.0.

Randy Fry

Linux Addict!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users