Photo

E17 vs E19 - Which are you using and why?

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#61 aka jazz

aka jazz

• Banned
  • 611 posts

Posted 22 April 2015 - 10:25 PM

Seeing that there is little to gain by going forward to E19, and maybe you've seen my forum posts with e17 themes that are polished out-of-the-box, and I can still have the ecomorph cube, I'm going to stick with e17 even when I get my Bodhi box back.

Screenshots of e17 at the Gallerie des shedied and here for just one only. Incidentally,why don't you try our friendly IRC channel for some help? (link up top) or watch an e-ducational clip that's 2 and a half minutes long

A big thank you to everyone who contributes to Bodhi Linux

#62 disadjusted

disadjusted

• Members
  • 92 posts
  • LocationSouth West Germany

Posted 27 April 2015 - 08:32 PM

e17, because it's both more stable and a lot faster than e19, which is totally sluggish on my core duo and intel GMA laptop... whereas e17 even with external full HD screen totally fine.

The only issue i have so far is with the e17gtk theme white text on white background in some programs, and (OT:) that packages.bodhilinux.com is soooo slow from German Telekom network... (will test British Telecom in a few days)

#63 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12492 posts
  • LocationBloomington, IL

Posted 28 April 2015 - 02:29 AM

Neither of the issues you listed are related to Enlightenment at all.

#64 disadjusted

disadjusted

• Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 28 April 2015 - 08:15 AM

Neither of the issues you listed are related to Enlightenment at all.

i know, sorry, therefore the OT disclaimer... just started a new thread regarding the latter...

and about the former, i thought it's e17related because the name of the theme is e17gtk... is it the same issue in e19 as well? haven't recognised it while testing, but didn't test as extensively...

#65 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12492 posts

Posted 28 April 2015 - 10:56 AM

"e17gtk" is a GTK theme. It happens with any desktop.

#66 Paraplegic Racehorse

Paraplegic Racehorse

• Members
  • 44 posts
  • LocationSeward, AK

Posted 29 April 2015 - 11:32 PM

I suppose it's my turn to chime in. Under 3.00-Beta2-Legacy, e17 ran fine on my old Dell Mini, as did e19. I did not notice any speed difference. Having changed it up to 3.00-release-32bit because I could not resolve a log-in lockout problem, my system still runs nice and fast and everything is smooth. In fact, it runs considerably better. Granted, e19 segfaults and needs to be restarted, but that's not really a problem for me since this is not a production machine, but a test-bed to decide whether I want to switch from Ubuntu-GNOME to Bodhi (so far, that's a resounding NO, mostly because I would have to completely change my work routines. There are features I dearly love about GNOME3 that I can't seem to get in enlightenment at this time.)

You seem to have good reasoning to fork e17, but there is a big question to ask: Why fork? Why not work on upstream e17 and continue its development? If there has been recent commits to mainstream git, then it has not been abandoned by the E team; and it would enlarge the number of developers working on it.

Stable: Lenovo G50 :: Ubuntu GNOME 16.04
Testing: Dell Inspiron Mini10 :: Bodhi Linux 4 Legacy

GitHub: ParaplegicRacehorse

#67 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12492 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 12:39 AM

You seem to have good reasoning to fork e17, but there is a big question to ask: Why fork? Why not work on upstream e17 and continue its development? If there has been recent commits to mainstream git, then it has not been abandoned by the E team; and it would enlarge the number of developers working on it.

We want to make actual changes and improvements to E17. I've talked with upstream a number of times about taking some of the changes we make in Bodhi and putting them into the core and there isn't any interest. They like their current profiles and confusing startup wizard. 

I want Bodhi's default desktop to be an unedited Moksha desktop. Not something we are applying patches to after the fact because the default base isn't good enough for end users.

#68 Phil

Phil

• Members
  • 37 posts
  • LocationMidlands, UK

Posted 05 May 2015 - 07:15 AM

Not posted in a while as I stopped using Bodhi for much of the same reasons that Jeff left last year. There was far to many bugs that were never going to be fixed or even addressed, and it looks like that won't change anytime soon with the Enlightenment devs. It just got too frustrating and a real pain!

If this happens and Bodhi switches back to a stable E17 desktop, I'm all for it and will most likely install Bodhi again. I really loved Bodhi back in the version 1xxx and 2xxx days with E17.

#69 FameWolf

FameWolf

• Members
  • 330 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 08:33 AM

Perhaps you could consider released pre-defined key bindings that mimic the ones for gnome, kde etc that the user can optionally use?   I know it would simplify adoption for new users if all the shortcuts they are used to work as expected.   Maybe it's just me but bodhi was the first one I encountered that had radically different key bindings by default.  For example, alt-f2 to run a command, ctrl-alt-esc to run xkill,  ctrl-alt-backspace to restart x.   There are plenty of others..those are just some examples.   I'm all for having an e17 with all the available modules including the network monitoring one. ;)

#70 angi1

angi1

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 May 2015 - 11:03 AM

Only E17 ! :) Why? More user-friendly. That is my opinion. We using it in plastic company removed link and everyone is happy about E17

#71 Flymo

Flymo

Diamond Geezer

• Members
  • 235 posts
  • LocationCentral Victoria, Australia

Posted 01 July 2015 - 07:56 PM

E17, please!  

...and Moksha is a truly wonderful move.

Been trotting around my many less-than-perfect Bodhi3/E19 installs and loading the E17 desktop.  

W00t! :D 

....uses nearly 30% less RAM on boot, and everything runs snappier on our (puny) hardware.

Looks *really* good, and segfaults are far, far fewer.

All my old E17 favourites work again, and much of the new stuff seems to be there too.

More power to you,  Jeff.

I'm off to the donations page now - hope others are simlarly motivated.

(c'mon folks!)

Ben

PS

...am about to install Bodhi 3.0.0 on this puny K325, serene in the belief that it will work well after installing E17, and I'll be using the new partition to test Moksha and provide feedback.

This comes to you from Bodhi 3 Live.

#72 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12492 posts

Posted 02 July 2015 - 01:50 AM

Thanks for your generous support and feedback as always Flymo.

#73 Flymo

Flymo

Diamond Geezer

• Members
  • 235 posts

Posted 02 July 2015 - 07:03 AM

An honour and a privilege, Jeff!

Moksha now running smoothly on this  eMachines (Acer 'Basic' brand) ER-1401 (AMD K325 with nVidia 9400M).

Installed it using Bodhi 3.0.0-32, swapped to E17.6, then Moksha. 

More info when I have it....

Thank you to you and yours for all your wonderful work!

#74 Flymo

Flymo

Diamond Geezer

• Members
  • 235 posts

Posted 09 July 2015 - 12:15 PM

.....aaaand all our available Bodhi 3.0.0 (E19) installations are now benefitting from going over to E17, without problems. 

On this ER1401 we are now dual-booting the excellent Moksha on 3.0.0-32 with Bodhi 2.4.0, fully updated, and comparing behaviours,

much as we did with Bodhi 1.x vs 2.0 on the same machine.

One item of interest - for comparison purposes I installed (on the Moksha partition) the same Nvidia-304-updates driver that worked OK on 2.4.0

Bit of a mistake, it seems.  The xrandr underscan script that worked fine in 2.4.0 borked in 3.0.0, and Nvidia underscan via GUI was weirdness indeed on our Kogan TV. Proprietary software can be so annoying.

Restoring the status ante bellum was as easy as uninstalling the Nvidia-304-updates driver and rebooting. All good again!

No big deal, there was a tiny performance increase (if any), and there was the usual font fiddling/dpi tweaks to do too.

So we are now all-E17 with one Moksha test partition (sans Nvidia driver) that seems to work just fine.

This we like. Thank you!

#75 Kev

Kev

An Aged Technophile

• Members
  • 324 posts
  • LocationMichigan USA

Posted 10 July 2015 - 02:27 PM

my observations through my own use....

I must be the only one who has no problems with Bodh 3.0(E19) , I haven't had any issues on my laptop with it.... My work desktop with a VM with Bodhi 3(E19) runs flawless and smooth, my other VM with Bodhi 3.0( E19 downgraded to E17) is not as smooth.  A lot of graphics artifacts and refresh issues, nothing to impede my testing. 

So while having read through this thread a couple of times im not sure about going backwards to E17.  On my VMs with E17 eComp is horrible and unreliable so I don't use ecomorph.  Granted my main development and work related stuff requires MS Windows... There are some things graphics related I do work with on a linux box..

- Kevin

#76 fozzie

fozzie

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 10 July 2015 - 08:17 PM

my observations through my own use....

I must be the only one who has no problems with Bodh 3.0(E19) , I haven't had any issues on my laptop with it.... My work desktop with a VM with Bodhi 3(E19) runs flawless and smooth, my other VM with Bodhi 3.0( E19 downgraded to E17) is not as smooth.  A lot of graphics artifacts and refresh issues, nothing to impede my testing. 

So while having read through this thread a couple of times im not sure about going backwards to E17.  On my VMs with E17 eComp is horrible and unreliable so I don't use ecomorph.  Granted my main development and work related stuff requires MS Windows... There are some things graphics related I do work with on a linux box..

You're not the only one because I have the same results on my computers with E19.

Yes, E19 memory requirement is higher than E17 but the compositor it uses is very efficient and better than Gnome3 and Cinnamon desktops in my opinion.

• Kev likes this

#77 proverse

proverse

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 11 July 2015 - 05:14 PM

Jeff -

First and foremost, I am glad to have you back on the project. I have always respected you for taking on the lead for Bodhi in the beginning, and now to add responsibility for Moksha on top of it... I am sure, though, that your ability to get it to "just work" will remain far above the e dev community... 

I have had to go to Ubuntu Vivid with Unity temporarily due to EFI and intel driver issues on my lenovo yoga 3 pro, and oh how do I miss Bodhi 3...

I am agnostic as to e17 vs e19, as I adapted my workflow to both and had to workaround some issues on each. Rather, I would like to present my personal list of priorities for Moksha ...

1. Power efficiency... whatever you can do to cut wakeups and wattage in Moksha/Bodhi, please do!
  2. Video playback / low latency
  3. DPI per display support, as I have a 13" display at 3200x1800 and a 22" at 1980x1080, this is driving me nuts on other desktops
  4. Even though Moksha is not responsible for GTK, Qt, etc... anything you can do to make them play nice, and be able to have "one setting to rule them all", the better

I look forward to sorting out my particular issues and being able to come back and help test Bodhi/Moksha soon...

#78 Demonos

Demonos

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 20 July 2015 - 11:02 AM

Since e19 was available I started using it. Now I decided to try to come back to e17. I have it installed on Lenovo T440 - not very powerfull machine and only 4GB of RAM (without possibility to extend). 

Yes, e17 is considerably lighter for resources and more responsive. However I started to consider to come back to e19 but still reluctant to do so.

For me e19 has one big advantage over e17 - much better handling of multiple screens and I use secondary monitor all the time but also I frequently disconnect it and connect. E19 is better here.

Another thing that caused problems when setting back to e17 is the way how both handle outside drives - especially mountpoint. I use darktable for my photo work and I have my main photo storage on the external drive. Darktable usues sqlite database to handle that.

Now, E19 mounts by default external drives to /media/<username>. 

When switching back to E17 it occured E17 moutns in /media/ - that broke my database linkeage :-)

I found way around to force mounting to /media/{user}/ by adding udev rule but it works only when I mount drive with other file manager like Thunar or Nautilus. Using E17 file manager or automount by E17 brings it back to /media/ mountpoint.. 

fstab entry is not good solution for me - tried it

#79 disadjusted

disadjusted

• Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 08:08 PM

regarding multi monitor support, i recommend using xrandr from commandline, works flawlessly for me, apart from having to recover the e session after applying different settings once a boot.

will be resolved soon with moksha anyway i guess.

all your other points have nothing to do with the desktop, have they?

#80 Demonos

Demonos

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 17 August 2015 - 10:19 AM

all your other points have nothing to do with the desktop, have they?

Well, I don't know. I switched back to e19 and FM installs external dirves in /media/<username>.

On E17 it installs in /media. so somehow it is related to the desktop. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users