Weird screen thing on usb install

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 hazel123

hazel123

• Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 04 April 2015 - 08:04 PM

Hi,  I posted about this last year and we have just been using bodhi with a stretched screen lol!  Anyway I needed to reinstall Bodhi 2 after trying edubuntu on son't fizzbook spin.  Long story short is - it won't install from my usb dvd drive - hangs and crashes - but it installs fine from pendrive - except installs with a stretched screen and no other options than 800 x 600.  Now it isn't just Bodhi, it is any Linux distro installed via usb.  Some will install via the dvd drive and the screen resolution is fine (but it takes so many attempts to get them installed!)  Bodhi won't though, and that's what I want to put back on now.  What I don't understand is, if installation from a disc, burned with the identical iso to the pendrive, installs with the correct screen resolution, why does installation with usb not give the correct screen resolution (and no other options - I think it needs to be 1200 by 600 or something, I forget).  Assume it is a missing ACPI driver perhaps (but then wouldn't that be the same if installing from a disc?).  Or something in the bios talking to pendrives differently to the dvd drive.

Anyway, this isn't specifically a Bodhi issue, it's more of a hardware issue, but if anyone has any ideas I'd be grateful.  At the moment the only options are:

1) Install Bodhi over and over again via dvd drive and watch it crash over and over again (it did install once but then wouldn't accept my password).

2)  Install Bodhi from pendrive/usb stick and have a stretched screen.

3)  Install one of the 14.04 based buntus (or Bodhi 3) and not have Supertuxkart or Supertux working properly (for some reason these don't seem to work properlt in the 14.04 distros) - which is the main reason our son wants Linux on his netbook lol!

A big thank you to everyone who contributes to Bodhi Linux

#2 aka jazz

aka jazz

• Banned
  • 611 posts

Posted 04 April 2015 - 11:45 PM

While booting from the pen drive, in GRUB you can press e to edit and set the screen resolution. Pick a safe one first like that 800x600. That's only temporary till you find out what the optimum resolution is, or, alternatively you tell us what graphics hardware you have or what netbook you're using.

Screenshots of e17 at the Gallerie des shedied and here for just one only. Incidentally,why don't you try our friendly IRC channel for some help? (link up top) or watch an e-ducational clip that's 2 and a half minutes long

#3 hazel123

hazel123

• Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 05 April 2015 - 12:03 PM

Thanks!  Well I burned Bodhi 3 to usb and it has installed like a dream - yay!  No problems with resolution.  However, Supertux is still weird but I am beginning to think this is a problem with Supertux and not my netbook/distro combo, as it has been the same on every other distro.  I installed Supertux from the App centre and got what I have been getting generally, which is an over-enlarged program so you can only see the top half (this happened with GCompris once and then they sorted it).  Supertux 2 (or the non stable Supertux in Synaptic) is also acting weird and in slow motion - there are other reports of this on the internet so I think it is the game package that has that problem.  Although it would help if anyone else has installed Supertux from the Appcentre, to confirm if they get the same thing.  Sadly Supertuxkart doesn't work either (sound but no picture).

The only other distro I've managed to install with correct resolution, was Edubuntu 12.04, which ran Supertuxkart fine, but the same issues with Supertux.  Except I don't like Edubuntu lol!

Upshot is - I love Bodhi 3 which will be my new go to distro, but sadly not for the Fizzbook Spin where Suptertuxkart is number one priority in this house!  Unless anyone knows any tweaks or fixes for it.  I think maybe it just doesn't work well in 14.04.

#4 aka jazz

aka jazz

• Banned
  • 611 posts

Posted 05 April 2015 - 12:12 PM

I suspect it is the resolution; normally the game might run on 1024x768 and not the widescreen formats some netbooks have. It might work if you contact the devs of that game; maybe they already posted some workaround so the game could work at other screen resolutions

Screenshots of e17 at the Gallerie des shedied and here for just one only. Incidentally,why don't you try our friendly IRC channel for some help? (link up top) or watch an e-ducational clip that's 2 and a half minutes long

#5 hazel123

hazel123

• Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 05 April 2015 - 04:18 PM

Just discovered this machine is cedartrail and I believe the driver for that is a problem.  Ha ha I'm back to square one - reinstalled bodhi 2 which is the only thing that works properly on this machine (and plays supertux and supertux kart) even with the stretched screen.  It looks better than anything else.  I've noticed on reinstalling the two games that it says some of the packages couldn't be retrieved from the server, so i think there is a problem with one or both of the games, as well as my screen.  Thanks for your help.  I'll keep Bodhi 3 and Xubuntu 14.04 for other machines,  It says "Failed to fetch http://getdeb.bodhil...tdeb2_all.deb" and the same for Supertuxkart.  Actually maybe that just means the app centre is down.

Yay Supertux is back again and working normally.  Will get Supertuxkart later.  This is one of the reasons I like Bodhi - it'll work when nothing else will.

#6 aka jazz

aka jazz

• Banned
  • 611 posts

Posted 05 April 2015 - 07:04 PM

Don't forget to let your son play :) I'm not sure Your mom's still troubleshooting will work for very long

#7 hazel123

hazel123

• Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 05 April 2015 - 09:00 PM

Lol!  He's away for the week-end so I'm spending my week-end sorting his netbook.  Anyway something good came out of all that reinstalling - I've just installed the primary package of edubuntu in bodhi so he's got all the software without the annoying distro - it runs fine.  And Supertux works.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users