Installing word processors

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 hazel123

hazel123

• Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 06 April 2015 - 03:00 PM

Since reinstalling Bodhi 2 I find I can't install either Abiword or LibreOffice writer - it says the bits from the Bodhi server aren't available.  Tried this today and yesterday, on a clean install.  I get the same thing with Supertuxkart but that's less important.  Have tried Abiword from the app centre and from synaptic.

A big thank you to everyone who contributes to Bodhi Linux

#2 JollyRoger

JollyRoger

• Team
  • 182 posts
  • LocationHigh Wycombe, UK

Posted 06 April 2015 - 05:08 PM

Hi Hazel123

You might like to try WPS Office, which I used without problems of Bodhi 2. It's similar to Microsoft Office.

#3 Charles@Bodhi

Charles@Bodhi

Old Faithful

• Moderators
  • 4433 posts
  • LocationZeist, The Netherlands

Posted 06 April 2015 - 05:37 PM

Supposing you use synaptic for this task I suggest to go to its Settings > Repositories > Other Software and uncheck the getdeb line.

Next hit "Reload" to refresh your sources.list.

I had no issues getting those packages in 2.4 this afternoon. You know Supertux needs OpenGL enabled to run? If that fails on your older netbooks you must use Supertux-stable. Supertuxkart is in the repos too, never tested that one, it's a heavy download and takes some 200 MB on disk.

Enjoy,

Charles.

Don't think the WPS suite (Writer,Calc and Presentation) is in the 2.4 repos. You will need to search for a 12.04-Precise package somewhere. Maybe Jolly knows that.

Medion S4216 Ultrabook, 4GB RAM, 1TB HDD, WIN 10 & Bodhi 4.1.0-64 

Asus eeepc 901, 1GB RAM, 12 GB SSD, Bodhi 3.0.0-32-Legacy & Bodhi 4.1.0-32 Legacy

#4 hazel123

hazel123

• Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 06 April 2015 - 06:37 PM

Thanks!  Yes Supertux stable works from synaptic, but not the supertux 2 from the bodhi app centre. I've had libre office writer and supertuxkart on this machine in bodhi before, that's what seemed strange.  Unchecking getdeb did it, thank you!  I'm setting up my own edubuntu for our son, (ie edubodhi!).  Not that supertuxkart is anything to do with education.

#5 aka jazz

aka jazz

• Banned
  • 611 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 06:36 PM

Sometimes we get problems because of usability or the GUI (menus or ribbons?) getting in the way of important stuff like Supertux or Supertuxcart, or saving the world Marioworld, that is) If you want to focus on content rather than formatting, like you just wanted to type out a letter to the teacher explaining that you are in fact, limiting his video playtime, in my case I've installed joe/jstar and it works on plain text consoles. You would need WPS or LibreOffice if you need a table of contents or an index, but for that quick brief email describing what went wrong with yesterday's fire drill you don't need all that excess baggage taking up all your screens or RAM, just green or amber text on a nyanologic terminology.

This was an attempt to bring the topic back on track

Screenshots of e17 at the Gallerie des shedied and here for just one only. Incidentally,why don't you try our friendly IRC channel for some help? (link up top) or watch an e-ducational clip that's 2 and a half minutes long

#6 hazel123

hazel123

• Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 01:12 AM

True - don't need full word processing on kids computer - some sort of notepad would do.  Any recommendations?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users