8 replies to this topic

#1 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12524 posts
  • LocationBloomington, IL

Posted 14 April 2015 - 02:07 AM

So something I shared back during the 2.x days was a "family and friends" ISO image. Basically it was an ISO image that made my life easier when installing on computers for "real people". It contained a bunch of software I generally installed after the fact on new Bodhi systems for folks like my parents and wife.

Wanted to share a fresh ISO image I've created for 3.0.0 with a similar idea. You can find it here.

Default Desktop:

e-552c759be6fb31.72333173.png

Default software:

e-552c74aa14c514.37863834.png

This is not an official ISO image, thus why it is hosted on its own source forge page. Some notes about this ISO image:

• Built on Bodhi 3.0.0 64bit
  • Uses the E17 desktop
  • Has ecomorph and some basic effects enabled by default - this means it runs a bit slow by default on virtual hardware, but is super snappy on anything with even a basic opengl graphics card

You will get a segfault when you first browse the applications menu on the live CD and on the installed system. Hit f1 and everything will be fine afterwards. Maybe I'll officially package the profile this uses, but until I find the effort to do that, hitting f1 isn't a big deal.

Quick FAQ

• No I will not be making a similar ISO image for non-PAE or 32bit
  • No I will not make a custom ISO image for you with the software you want
  • Yes you can make your own custom spin by using the bodhibuilder tool that comes pre-installed in Bodhi by default

Like it. Hate it. Use it. Don't use it. Like I said I find this disc useful for personal usage and figured some others out there might find it a small time saver as well.

Cheers

A big thank you to everyone who contributes to Bodhi Linux

#2 gohlip

gohlip

• Members
  • 668 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 06:26 AM

Ah...nice.  Thank you.

Now I have another bodhi isofile to boot up  :) (I boot up 2 of my custom Bodhi E17 and E19 isofiles).

ps: typing from your iso boot in chromium

good you did not put in a password (I was wondering what is your password before downloading)

Life is a sexually transmitted disease with a 100% mortality rate.

#3 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12524 posts
  • LocationBloomington, IL

Posted 14 April 2015 - 08:14 AM

ps: typing from your iso boot in chromium

good you did not put in a password (I was wondering what is your password before downloading)

It is almost like I've done this before :)

#4 Kev

Kev

An Aged Technophile

• Members
  • 324 posts
  • LocationMichigan USA

Posted 14 April 2015 - 05:04 PM

great idea :)

- Kevin

#5 tgentry

tgentry

• Members
  • 84 posts
  • LocationAugusta Ga. USA

Posted 16 April 2015 - 07:33 PM

Downloaded it and installed. Works like a champ. I left bodhi for a minute and now have it again. I tried the beta of elive but was disappointed that it was just a 32 bit edition and no real support for issues. I had installed netrunner plasma when I uninstalled E19 and while it was ok it was just not the same. Think I'm happy again. Thanks for the custom ISO Jeff.

If you want my Bodhi and you think I'm sexy Come on, sugar, let me know.

#6 Kev

Kev

An Aged Technophile

• Members
  • 324 posts
  • LocationMichigan USA

Posted 17 April 2015 - 09:05 AM

Downloaded it and installed. Works like a champ. I left bodhi for a minute and now have it again. I tried the beta of elive but was disappointed that it was just a 32 bit edition and no real support for issues. I had installed netrunner plasma when I uninstalled E19 and while it was ok it was just not the same. Think I'm happy again. Thanks for the custom ISO Jeff.

I put elive on a vm to test myself.... its not a clean package to be sure and I ended up having to delete the VM.  for whatever reason couldn't change themes.  It would crash.  Always curious to see how other distro's handle enlightenment. 

One things I have noticed about E17 and VMs, at least virtualbox anyways..., the rendering doesn't always pan out.  I have Jeffs iso on VM and its kind of fun to play with ecomorph, but E19 seems to render better in the VM.  I notice the corners of the dialogs have little black  background ticks at the corners of the frame at the title area, not a big deal if I use a dark theme :)  but with the radiance them or other light themes it shows up.  On my laptop at home everything seems to work fine both E17 and E19.  Must be a VM issue with how it handles rendering.

- Kevin

#7 Sitting Fox

Sitting Fox

• Team
  • 551 posts

Posted 17 April 2015 - 12:19 PM

One things I have noticed about E17 and VMs, at least virtualbox anyways..., the rendering doesn't always pan out.  I have Jeffs iso on VM and its kind of fun to play with ecomorph, but E19 seems to render better in the VM.  I notice the corners of the dialogs have little black  background ticks at the corners of the frame at the title area, not a big deal if I use a dark theme :)  but with the radiance them or other light themes it shows up.  On my laptop at home everything seems to work fine both E17 and E19.  Must be a VM issue with how it handles rendering.

Hi kevison,

I don't think it's a thing with e17 as much as it is a problem with the themes themselves. With Composite and Ecomorph disabled, you will see black parts where transparency should be, as that is their function. But with either on, they should be gone.

For instance, try the Forum theme, and you won't see the black there,

I have the black corners on my Chromebook Bodhi, so I think it's more than just a VM thing.

#8 tgentry

tgentry

• Members
  • 84 posts
  • LocationAugusta Ga. USA

Posted 17 April 2015 - 12:22 PM

I put elive on a vm to test myself.... its not a clean package to be sure and I ended up having to delete the VM.  for whatever reason couldn't change themes.  It would crash.  Always curious to see how other distro's handle enlightenment. 

Must be as I'm running it on my laptop and do not have any of those issues. It is fast and clean. I have installed the rest of the E17 bodhi themes and played around with all of them. They work without issues as well. When in E19 if you had different themes different issues would pop up. I must say I did like the blue folder icons and such in elive. I didnt try to change themes to see if any other worked. I just dont know why he is still stuck with a 32 bit edition vs 64 bit. I know it may be for the older machines but it would have been nice to see it on the newer machines as well. But I'm happy again. I do not get the segfault errors I was constantly getting in E19 with Jeffs E17 custom iso. I have ecomorph enabled and love the compiz effects as well.

If you want my Bodhi and you think I'm sexy Come on, sugar, let me know.

#9 Kev

Kev

An Aged Technophile

• Members
  • 324 posts
  • LocationMichigan USA

Posted 20 April 2015 - 09:52 AM

@Sitting Fox I'll give the forum theme a try too.  As I said, I don't have this problem with my laptops... just seems to be isolated to my VMs so... maybe a mix of both E and VM capabilities. 

@tgentry - as I mentioned I don't have any issues when I run on my laptops and I agree with you about eLive and the lack of 64 bit builds.  I haven't had any issues with E19 in the VM or on my physical machines.  Although E19 sometimes feels a little slow.

- Kevin

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users