• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Doyle

Doyle

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 April 2015 - 12:33 AM

Hi all,

For some years I've been running Bodhi 2.x with E17, and have bound the mouse Middle Button + Alt to Window:Actions Lower, so that I can ALT middle click on a window to send it down the stack.

I've upgraded to Bodhi 3.0.0, E 0.19.4, and this binding is no longer working, on 2 different machines.  I've tried binding the action to a number of mouse clicks, but to no avail.

CTRL ALT DOWN still works to lower the window.

Is anyone else experiencing this?  Should I report this as a bug?

Thanks

Doyle

A big thank you to everyone who contributes to Bodhi Linux

#2 aka jazz

aka jazz

• Banned
  • 611 posts

Posted 23 April 2015 - 03:34 AM

Hmmm, make sure you filled out the other fields when you made tne entry in Mouse bindings. Not that I use mouse binds a lot, but the default e mousebinds show parameters for that action, have a look here. See where container is selected and there is entry for action params too. these might make a difference, like you mentioned to click on a window to lower it

Screenshots of e17 at the Gallerie des shedied and here for just one only. Incidentally,why don't you try our friendly IRC channel for some help? (link up top) or watch an e-ducational clip that's 2 and a half minutes long

#3 Doyle

Doyle

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 April 2015 - 06:04 AM

Thanks @aka jazz,

Sorry but I forgot to mention that I tried each of the Action Contexts, including Container and Any.   Also, the Action Params box is disabled for this mouse event.

This has worked for me for years - it's in my muscle memory!  I've also tried configuring with known working mouse bindings, such as Left Button + ALT, but no luck.

My life will go on without it, but it's funny now I see how many times a day I was using this, now that it doesn't work.

Thanks

Doyle

#4 sef

sef

Bodhi Builder Wizard

• Developer
  • 308 posts
  • LocationATL

Posted 23 April 2015 - 11:06 AM

@Doyle

I have noticed the same thing with e19. I use <logo> + N (don't ask me why, I can't remember :) ) to lower a window and I use it constantly. But the mouse binding <logo> + MiddleButton to lower does not work for me either for some reason. Maybe a bug needs to be filed with enlightenment.

Forum Rules (link)

---------------------------------------------------

Nothing is as simple as it seems at first, or as hopeless as it seems in the middle,

or as finished as it seems in the end.

---------------------------------------------------

"That's not how the force works..."

#5 aka jazz

aka jazz

• Banned
  • 611 posts

Posted 23 April 2015 - 03:05 PM

@Doyle - hey I know exactly what you're talking about lol. Every time I hose my .e configs, early on, I already know the keybinds I need. Mostly since I use the ecomorph cube, they're the ones that spin the cube left or right. And a few that make a png image borderless

Screenshots of e17 at the Gallerie des shedied and here for just one only. Incidentally,why don't you try our friendly IRC channel for some help? (link up top) or watch an e-ducational clip that's 2 and a half minutes long

#6 aka jazz

aka jazz

• Banned
  • 611 posts

Posted 23 April 2015 - 06:56 PM

@Doyle and <-sef>  The screenshot is from e17; maybe you have to switch to a basic theme that will allow input to the action parameters field in question, not just container, because knowing e, these devs won't just turn something off, but then y'all all are on e19 *shrug* btw &lt means '<' so none &gt  is " >" hope you didn't miss and the double quotes are mine. This is for the windows action known as Windows lower

#7 Doyle

Doyle

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 24 April 2015 - 12:26 AM

Thanks @aka jazz and <-sef>.

I've tried a bunch of different themes, including the default which I prefer, and I can't get it to work.  The Action Parameters field is always disabled, and I wouldn't know what to put in it anyway!  I can't read what's in the box in the screen shot, @aka jazz.

Anyway, I might raise a bug with the devs on this one.  Not a show stopper, but definitely nice to have.

Now to see if I can ecomorph to work on E19 - thanks aka jazz!

#8 aka jazz

aka jazz

• Banned
  • 611 posts

Posted 24 April 2015 - 12:57 AM

Doyle-Alternatively you can go to keybinds dialog, make like you're assigning a new keycombo to Window Lower highlight the action params entry and do a copy paste of whatever is in there

One of nix's underrated secrets is how to copy-paste with one finger :) Well, one finger and the mouse to be exact

#9 Doyle

Doyle

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 24 April 2015 - 01:38 AM

Thanks aka jazz,

Good idea but no luck. Adding a new key binding doesn't populate the Action Params box.

Interestingly, if I navigate to the existing key binding, it has "up" in the box.  When creating a new one, the box is disabled though.

And even doing *nix's cut/paste with the single finger, no luck for the mouse binding.  It won't accept the paste.

Meantime, I've created this:  https://phab.enlightenment.org/T2364

Hopefully one of the devs will pick it up one day.

#10 aka jazz

aka jazz

• Banned
  • 611 posts

Posted 24 April 2015 - 07:49 AM

Doyle, you don't need to go keybind-add when you can go directly to Window action, pick lower and highlight; agh too late you already opened a report.

edit: I had switched the theme on this distro and I can see where that field is protected. I tried the Window Lower with middle click+Alt but the window keeps grabbing the middle click (so one should limit the container/zone to something specific) Wish I could help you look further into it; I just use WindowShade all the time, or alt+Down arrow for Window lower if really necessary.

Edited by aka jazz, 26 April 2015 - 07:49 PM.

#11 Doyle

Doyle

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 April 2015 - 01:03 AM

Thanks aka jazz,

I've tried all the different container/zone/any combinations but they don't work.

You've given me an idea though - I've now bound the middle click + ALT to shade toggle, and I'll use that until the bug is fixed.

That way I can still click on the window and get it out of the way, so I can get to what's under it.  So thanks!

#12 Doyle

Doyle

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 02:19 AM

Good news for anyone following this thread,

zmike from the Enlightenment dev team has made a fix for this issue.  He also identified that the problem only occurs if "raise on click" was enable for the window.

So Middle Click + ALT was interpreted as a click, thus raising the window and overriding the mouse binding which sent the window lower.

Until the fix is released in your distro, you can re-enable Window Lower by disabling "Click raises the window":

Settings Panel -> Windows -> Window Focus -> Advanced -> Miscellaneous -> Uncheck "Click raises the window".  Your mouse binding will now work!

Cheers

Doyle

#13 aka jazz

aka jazz

• Banned
  • 611 posts

Posted 01 May 2015 - 06:03 AM

that's terrific news, Doyle and a big whoop for zmike!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users