1 reply to this topic

#1 Rewdan

Rewdan

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 28 April 2015 - 12:42 PM

Hi,

Firstly, thank you for the Bodhi experience. I am new to Linux, and Bodhi is a great way into this new world for someone like me, wishing for the minimum of preinstalled applications - and wishing to explore the Enlightenment desktop.

My feedback is from the limited perspective of a new user.

Desktop experiences

I have had a go with E19 (not E17) - on Bodhi 3 x64 - and loved the iBar. I note the recent 'hot' discussion thread 'E17 vs E19 - Which are you using and why?' I am not in a position to evaluate on this - but I just did want to emphasise that the iBar in E19, for me,  is impressive. 

I also tried the KDE4 and Gnome3 desktops - although only really experimented somewhat with KDE (since my sense was I would need to install extensions to get Gnome3 to a worthwhile place).  I couldn't really get icon placements reliably right on the KDE taskbar, or centered; otherwise KDE seems OK.

Operating system experience

Initially, just to enable an installation layout I wanted, I did do a lot of work at the command line with LVM/ext4. (I do remember that I needed to do a lot of stuff manually before using the expert, 'something else', installer because the Ubuntu installer wasn't LVM friendly - unless you did an install with the pre-configured Ubuntu LVM assumptions!). 

Eventually, however, I decided against LVM and settled for Btrfs root, and a separate Btrfs home partition. Ubuntu however insists in its assumptions about snapshots that root and home, although in separate subvolumes, are on the same physical partition. (https://help.ubuntu....community/btrfs). One of the most annoying aspects of the Windows operating system, over the years, has been the user files and operating system on the same partition. When doing external image backups this is a real pain (unless one, manually, after installing Windows, moves the user files to a separate partition - so that only a smaller, independently kept operating system is backed up).  Imagine my disappointment on seeing Ubuntu by default also pursuing this policy of having OS and user files together on the same partition.

To tell the truth I was getting disillusioned with Ubuntu.  Some exploration for alternatives eventually took me to openSuse. Briefly, I was impressed. Opensuse has a coherent very flexible expert installer – and it has great support for btrfs (and snapshots) in its Yast2 Control Center.

[I am keen on self-managed snapshots since I will be a newbie to Linux for a while; already I find myself messing up – and it’s good to know that I can restore files/settings from root, or home, as needed. I have done this a couple of times already, in experimenting or testing scenarios. Also, Yast2 shows me clearly what files have changed when I do actions through btrfs snapshot comparisons; this will, I trust, enable me to get to know the linux filesystem better].

There is an Enlightenment portal for the latest opensuse 13.2; it uses E19; there is apparently someone at openSuse who is keen enough to align Enlightenment for openSuse, and vice versa - and even setup an openSuse Enlightenment Live CD/installer. For detailed instructions on how to use E19 one is, however, referred to the Bodhi site :) .

Preliminary thoughts/conclusions

Bodhi has enabled me to make a journey.  At present, meaning today, I am using SuseStudio to make my own Live/Instal CD image for a Gnome3 openSuse (around  450MB).  I will, post installation, add Enlightenment . Then I will try out Gnome3 with extensions, and do a more extensive setup with Enlightenement.

For me it is important that I feel comfortable with the approach to the underlying OS, and its management. I am much more comfortable with openSuse for now than with Ubuntu.  In fact, to be honest, I have gone off Ubuntu.

My interest in Enlightenment is long-term I think; so I have posted here.  And I will keep an eye on the Bodhi forums to see how things evolve.

My family and I use Windows 7; I am determined that before Windows 10 takes over the world (which is the paradigm it is asserting) I should get ready to transfer our home system to an alternative OS and desktop.

I am grateful to Bodhi, and Enlightenment, for enabling me on this journey.

A big thank you to everyone who contributes to Bodhi Linux

#2 aka jazz

aka jazz

• Banned
  • 611 posts

Posted 29 April 2015 - 02:21 AM

Now there is a proper way to approach this, seeing that you're just starting. It may be an unpopular one, though.

Go to your nearest bookstore and get a book, preferably with a cover disk/DVD. You will end up learning linux in an organized manner. And some may smirk. (Chances are the smrkers came from ubuntu land; the unfortunate effect is they will always be searching for pointy-clicky stuff, when CLI is free of charge) I have the advantage of an ex-IT background. If you have that, then a Linux Format magazine (also with a cover disk, may be enough.) Otherwise your knowledge might be this compendium of post it notes or search results, and years from now you will still be asking why conky is not using your configuration when those great conky devs were wise to include a README, which should have a partner called DONTreadme, judging from the hits when you do a search. There's also the man command, and a proper package would also install in usr/doc.This way though you will know when to grant authority to a user, and why do you have to, when it came in a package, something is not right if you have to do that step everytime, as an extra.

Now do it properly, and soon when you get no desktop but only a black screen with a login prompt, you will merely crack your knuckles and grab a soda first, nuke some popcorn.  The others will probably post in a forum, not bad, or get on IRC (better). In your case, it could be Honey I'll be in the bathroom for a little bit.

Really? Dont you want to bring this ipad with you? You can have it; I've got this.

OK, what happens if you didn't? Well you might end up like this guy in the archives. He got tired of those you don't have permission-type messages. He doesn't understand the when and the why. Oh he is a linux user alright. But because he never got to the root of the problem, he always logs in as root (administrator), which is what I would expect from an ex-Windows user: still making the same mistakes, and he is likely to teach others the wrong thing. And his poor listeners will think, what's the advantage, or end up buying expensive hardware because they think expensive is better, when you can run this on a netbook under $200.

I remember good advice that ylee said, when some poster here said he was wary of the command line. That poster was asked to rethink his decision to use this OS...when you're shortchanging yourself, almost like buying $500 worth of apps then 'ooh minesweeper!' and thats all you use. I added that last bit. I pity tha foo'

But maybe that book will get dog-eared someday and you will get truly enlightened by including vim on your Bodhi stick or get into a heated argument that Shatner can kick Picard's ass, but try to avoid those religions. And rant off

Screenshots of e17 at the Gallerie des shedied and here for just one only. Incidentally,why don't you try our friendly IRC channel for some help? (link up top) or watch an e-ducational clip that's 2 and a half minutes long

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Enlightenment, Ubuntu

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users