122 replies to this topic

#1 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12493 posts
  • LocationBloomington, IL

Posted 28 April 2015 - 06:49 PM

New blog post about the direction of the project -> http://www.bodhilinu...moksha-desktop/

A big thank you to everyone who contributes to Bodhi Linux

#2 Sitting Fox

Sitting Fox

• Team
  • 551 posts

Posted 28 April 2015 - 07:56 PM

Awesome! :D

Although I think maybe something like "Nirvana" might have been a bit more fitting, Moksha is nice too. :) Just a name though.

All the same, the stepping out is now official and out there. Woo! :) Moksha Desktop!

#3 DennisD

DennisD

• Team
  • 328 posts

Posted 28 April 2015 - 08:59 PM

Congrats, Jeff! I am really looking forward to this!

#4 swordplay

swordplay

• Members
  • 344 posts
  • LocationHonolulu

Posted 28 April 2015 - 11:36 PM

imgur insists on the black background.  Original has a transparent background and a drop shadow.

I read somewhere someone proposed new logo?

Vuoc7IG.jpg

Moksha in sanskrit over the Dhammachakra (wheel of rebirth, if I'm not mistaken.)

#5 BeGo

BeGo

• Members
  • 141 posts
  • LocationBogor, Indonesia

Posted 29 April 2015 - 07:05 AM

Will convert to Moksha as sson as it available to Us commoners. :)

#6 Sitting Fox

Sitting Fox

• Team
  • 551 posts

Posted 29 April 2015 - 04:21 PM

imgur insists on the black background.  Original has a transparent background and a drop shadow.

I read somewhere someone proposed new logo?

Vuoc7IG.jpg

Moksha in sanskrit over the Dhammachakra (wheel of rebirth, if I'm not mistaken.)

Hey swordplay,

I think it looks neat, :) but I think it requires the name to be very small and not exactly recognizable.

I do think though that it might be weird to use a symbol that's used to represent Buddhism itself, no more than it would be to use a cross like that from Christianity.

I think an M stylized to look similar to sanskrit's writing style might be a good place to start for a logo idea.

#7 Duma

Duma

Artist

• Members
  • 2392 posts
  • LocationRivalta (TO) - Italia

Posted 29 April 2015 - 05:06 PM

When I've seen the Sanskrit's writing of Moksha I've also thought about use as an "M", and the second character for the A.

Here's the super mock-up (it hasn't got the color yet! ;) )

e-55410f88512a58.47969993.jpg

First, I've thought to add the bodhi leaf, because the two project are very bounded themselves.

Second, a simple mandala could be the logo, something circularish and geometric.

But I've also thought that we are not forced to use the Sanskrit/Hindi style for the logo...

Se sei italiano e interessato a Linux, clicca qui!

#8 Kev

Kev

An Aged Technophile

• Members
  • 324 posts
  • LocationMichigan USA

Posted 29 April 2015 - 05:49 PM

lol In the Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, by Stephen R. Donaldson, Moksha was also a raver, evil spirit that could possess a living being.

- Kevin

#9 FameWolf

FameWolf

• Members
  • 330 posts

Posted 29 April 2015 - 06:02 PM

You also have the possibility of using things like the sun if bodhi is the leaf as E feeds the bodhi project...an acorn maybe as it certainly symbolizes renewal in several cultures/ideologies from the druids and others.

#10 Sitting Fox

Sitting Fox

• Team
  • 551 posts

Posted 29 April 2015 - 06:13 PM

That's pretty cool looking, Duma. :) I just wonder if the M and A are as easily seen by people who don't already know the name. And if it being written like that is really weird looking to someone who can actually read the sanskrit writing.

First, I've thought to add the bodhi leaf, because the two project are very bounded themselves.
Second, a simple mandala could be the logo, something circularish and geometric.

But I've also thought that we are not forced to use the Sanskrit/Hindi style for the logo...

Yes, these are definitely some thoughts to have. Doesn't have to look all sanskrit or anything at all.

Some other thoughts that have come to mind is to make an M that makes up what looks like the legs of someone sitting cross-legged meditating (or using a laptop on their lap :lol:). Or going with a lotus blossom. Plant-y like the Bodhi leaf-y symbol. Apparently a white lotus can symbolize the idea of "bodhi".

So many ways to go! We'll have fun figuring it out, huh? :lol: :D

I do think it should be able to come down to a simple symbol, like Enlightenment has its e-sun symbol and Bodhi can simplify to just the leaf, for cases like the menu button and all that.

#11 Astroboy

Astroboy

• Members
  • 339 posts
  • LocationZacatecas, Mexico

Posted 30 April 2015 - 10:52 AM

Just a vague idea, but don't go overboard with a logo extremely attached to the Moksha sanskrit name. We don't want to be confused by casual outsiders as a vegan/hindu/yoga stuff (nothing against them, in fact, I love to go to vegan/hindu restaurants) :rolleyes:

We merely started, and there is already a Spanish language review of Moksha Desktop :lol:

http://www.muylinux....-fork-e17-bodhi

#12 Sitting Fox

Sitting Fox

• Team
  • 551 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 12:26 PM

Yeah, I notice there are Yoga places that seem to have the name Moksha, (granted, you'll find something named anything if you look good enough :lol:) some of which are using the Samarkan font, which is a pretty good font that is our Latin characters written in a Devanagari way. (Apparently, sanskrit does not have its own written setup, being possibly written in any number of Indian alphabets, with Devanagari being the one we usually see. What an interesting learning side-track there, huh? :lol:) So trying not to be confused with that might be something to keep in mind.

Duma seems to have borrowed from Samarkan for his design. It is a nice font. Probably why so many places like to use it.

I think I like the idea of the lotus blossom, or some other symbol, and just throw the name to the side like we do with the Bodhi logo. No need to work the name in really. At most, just doing a fancy M with something might do the trick.

Like I said, I think it would need to be able to have a small version of the logo, and a full name wouldn't cut it.

#13 Charles@Bodhi

Charles@Bodhi

Old Faithful

• Moderators
  • 4560 posts
  • LocationZeist, The Netherlands

Posted 30 April 2015 - 02:11 PM

Hmm, we should not be mixing things up. In my understanding this distro will remain to be called BodhiLinux. The only change will be the WM/DE, no longer E19 or E17, but Moksha instead.

Moksha seems to be a special kind of liberation, namely stepping out of the eternal wheel of death and rebirth and entering nirwana. That's a (too?) high goal imo.

I would suggest to leave out any kind of wheel, as E uses its cogwheel and we are moving more independent from that. I'm all in favor for a stylish M to incorporate somewhere in the background, but would prefer to keep the Bodhi logo as is.

Enjoy,

Charles

#14 Stabak

Stabak

• Members
  • 240 posts
  • LocationAthens, Greece

Posted 30 April 2015 - 02:51 PM

I'm with Charles....

moksha.png

It's like screaming at a wall, someday it's gonna fall

#15 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12493 posts
  • LocationBloomington, IL

Posted 30 April 2015 - 02:57 PM

I'm all for the desktop having its own logo.At some point in the next week or two we will be putting up at the very least a wiki page at mokshadesktop.org

None of these here really catch my eye though. I can't say that I care for that font. 

#16 Charles@Bodhi

Charles@Bodhi

Old Faithful

• Moderators
  • 4560 posts
  • LocationZeist, The Netherlands

Posted 30 April 2015 - 07:51 PM

Mokshadesktop, feel free to modify.

2KTPlyH.png

Enjoy,

Charles

#17 DennisD

DennisD

• Team
  • 328 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 08:06 PM

The Minimalist in me says keep it simple ...

https://drive.google...ew?usp=sharing 

#18 Sitting Fox

Sitting Fox

• Team
  • 551 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 10:01 PM

Hmm, we should not be mixing things up. In my understanding this distro will remain to be called BodhiLinux. The only change will be the WM/DE, no longer E19 or E17, but Moksha instead.

Hey Charles,

I don't think anyone here is saying to change Bodhi's logo or anything?  :huh:  I've mentioned doing similar to Bodhi's for the Moksha logo and making an image with a separate name next to it. (The leaf has no words on it.) Others have said incorporating leaves or something else that ties into the Bodhi leaf theme of its logo.

I did mention for something like the start/menu button, but that pic would be for in places like the menu (where I would think a Moksha entry would replace the Enlightenment one), though it could be for if Moksha is ever used on its own. Or if people just want a Moksha logo button instead of Bodhi's, just as some themes have Enlightenment's logo instead of Bodhi's.

So yeah, I think we're all on the same page that Moksha is just the e17/Enlightenment replacement, not a Bodhi one. Bodhi Linux is still Bodhi Linux, just will be using Moksha Desktop. :D

#19 Duma

Duma

Artist

• Members
  • 2392 posts
  • LocationRivalta (TO) - Italia

Posted 30 April 2015 - 10:49 PM

I Like the stabak's one, maybe I'll keep all orange, also the O decoration.

By the way Vaidotas is an excellent graphics designer and maybe could help. :)

The more I think, the more I convince myself about leaving out Sanskrit things and focus on simple and minimalistic. Maybe a different logo and moksha written on Harabara, the Bodhi Linux font.
Depends how much moksha could be separate from Bodhi. Will be available for other distro? Of course Debian packages will be available, but maybe will someone packages it for Arch?
If will be Bodhi independent, maybe use the same don't couldn't be a great idea :D
Se sei italiano e interessato a Linux, clicca qui!

#20 Sitting Fox

Sitting Fox

• Team
  • 551 posts

Posted 01 May 2015 - 12:20 AM

The more I think, the more I convince myself about leaving out Sanskrit things and focus on simple and minimalistic. Maybe a different logo and moksha written on Harabara, the Bodhi Linux font.

Hey Duma,

That's basically what I've been thinking, too. :D

Here's a rough draft I threw together. Harabara, Bodhi colors basically, and a white lotus. I basically just modified this image. Thought it was close enough to help get my idea across.

AYYu355.png

I'd like a smaller center, and maybe a style that makes it look some realistic, as the Bodhi leaf kind of does. Then they could match.

Purposely tried to make the petals poke out over the circle some, as Bodhi's leaf isn't totally within the circle. Maybe longer petals might help with that. (A smaller center might make for more natural longer petals anyway.)

Someone more graphically skilled is free to pick it up and run with it, in any way that they wish. I should actually be doing something else right now as it is. :lol:

"The lotus flower...represents the full blossoming of wholesome deeds in blissful liberation."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users