100 replies to this topic

#1 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12402 posts
  • LocationBloomington, IL

Posted 06 May 2015 - 01:34 AM

After we get the base rolling with a few bug fixes, module integration, and bodhi patches I want to start making some improvements to Moksha. So - what are some things you've always wished E did differently that we can change for Moksha?

My top three are:

• More modern / trim Main Menu - the current one feels cluttered and looks like something straight out of Windows 98
  • Improved settings panel - the current one is a bear to find things in. A search option would be lovely.
  • Improved keybindings / edge bindings list - For the love of god these two need a search option

A big thank you to everyone who contributes to Bodhi Linux

#2 DennisD

DennisD

• Team
  • 328 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 02:17 AM

I am a fan of app launchers. I think the everything launcher could be revamped. It has alot of potential with all of the plugins, but comes off as clunky, dated, and difficult to use. I am thinking something along the lines of XFCE's Appfinder. Also, the addition of a "collapsed" version/setting (again like the XFCE appfinder) would be great.

#3 aka jazz

aka jazz

• Banned
  • 611 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 02:47 AM

I remember being there, No search eh, what about a listing till eventually I was forced to use my own key combo, and it's not bad really. It's picking what comes more naturally to you, not following some preset. I ended up using that as a mere guide, but did it feel natural or intuitive or even ergonomic in the slightest, that if my dot-e folder were hosed, and I come round to setting up that keybinding again, would I still remember what action would be triggered. But yes I can see how search it can come handy; in my case it would've saved me from all that Paging down

Screenshots of e17 at the Gallerie des shedied and here for just one only. Incidentally,why don't you try our friendly IRC channel for some help? (link up top) or watch an e-ducational clip that's 2 and a half minutes long

#4 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12402 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 03:06 AM

I'll have to make a point to try xfce's launcher, but what exactly does it do differently than everything? I basically only use everything to launch apps and it works very well and isn't confusing IMO

#5 Astroboy

Astroboy

• Members
  • 335 posts
  • LocationZacatecas, Mexico

Posted 06 May 2015 - 03:25 AM

I wish, I wish / with all my heart / to NOT be with E devs / in a land apart...

1. Moksha wouldn't need to load E modules to be able to have a non-US keyboard layout. For example, if during install I select some keyboard layout, that choice would be respected by Moksha. If a user wants to override the keyboard layout that was defined in the Linux setup, that could be done voluntarily via its E module. (in other words, it should work as Bodhi 2.3 was).

2. I wish to be able to select languages other than English to install Bodhi (Yes, I know that's an issue on the Ubuntu installer, but this thread was about wishes, right?)

3. I wish that Moksha solve this bug that didn't exist in E17 and was introduced at some point of its life cycle:

http://forums.bodhil...-in-bodhi-menu/

By the way, we sort of solved the issue of the cluttered menu by using a KDE style menu layout. That way, instead of having a lot of programs on one category (say, Education), each main category is classified into subcategories (below Education menu are subcategories Languages, Mathematics, Sciences and Other, each with its own programs).

#6 spainach

spainach

• Members
  • 196 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 05:44 AM

Engage (while I noticed that I use docks only during the initial bootup and then rely entirely on keyboard shortcuts after, a little eyecandy with purpose is nice to play with). Sometimes I'm a little too far from the keyboard making launchers like these extremely useful with a mouse.

Taskbar Wingpanel, anyone? I hated how taskbars usually work and if I could do away with them, I would. But the clock, battery and tray are things I couldn't do without. What I especially like was the feature to split the bar and control windows from it. With it, I can launch an app maximized and still have my indicators on-screen

Terminal everywhere. Kind of like Yakuake. Kind of clunky to have a window for it. I like how easily accessible it is in fps games. Or, the next feature,

Tiling windows. Imagine if you could set profiles specific for how you'd want windows to be arranged and sized on the screen. Make it better by being able to switch the windows' arrangement and size by either by dragging them over the area or cycling them via keybinding. Oh, the time I'll save...

hmmm...I've a few others but those I can do without. Mostly just for kicks. So these are all I could recommend.

I do not know the Truth; I seek it.

The journey is long and harsh. Might as well start walking.

"It is the sea that pursues a habit of shores." ~Carlos Angeles, Gabu

Having trouble? See if your problem's here. (Bonus tweaks included)

#7 Kev

Kev

An Aged Technophile

• Members
  • 323 posts
  • LocationMichigan USA

Posted 06 May 2015 - 09:06 AM

Engage (while I noticed that I use docks only during the initial bootup and then rely entirely on keyboard shortcuts after, a little eyecandy with purpose is nice to play with). Sometimes I'm a little too far from the keyboard making launchers like these extremely useful with a mouse.

Taskbar Wingpanel, anyone? I hated how taskbars usually work and if I could do away with them, I would. But the clock, battery and tray are things I couldn't do without. What I especially like was the feature to split the bar and control windows from it. With it, I can launch an app maximized and still have my indicators on-screen

Terminal everywhere. Kind of like Yakuake. Kind of clunky to have a window for it. I like how easily accessible it is in fps games. Or, the next feature,

Tiling windows. Imagine if you could set profiles specific for how you'd want windows to be arranged and sized on the screen. Make it better by being able to switch the windows' arrangement and size by either by dragging them over the area or cycling them via keybinding. Oh, the time I'll save...

hmmm...I've a few others but those I can do without. Mostly just for kicks. So these are all I could recommend.

I think a lot of what you are talking about can be had by way of configuration.  Especially terminal windows.  I have see desktops that have a borderless terminal window as part of their desktop. In addition there is a desktop that is specifically terminal driven... cant remember the name right off hand...

Your tiling sounds a lot like Windows 8.x.  However I think even that can be done by way of configuration.  Personally I think tiles are fine on my phone not my desktop but that's me...

Sometimes it just takes a little digging but I believe you could create these things on your own.  A person can pretty much configure E to look like whatever they want.  If you haven't spent time yet at LinuxQuestions.org  do so... you can get all kinds of answers that would help in addition to the Bodhi forums. This doesn't have to be a hard set feature in Moksha. 

- Kevin

#8 Randy

Randy

Bodhi-Care

• Members
  • 614 posts
  • LocationFort Wayne, IN USA

Posted 06 May 2015 - 09:22 AM

A couple of modules, engage, forecast, composite scale, and/or ecomorph. Somehow add/improve recently used files in everything launcher. Although this may be more out of range, make enlightenment file manager accept custom file manager actions, like nautilus,thunar and pcmanfm.

Randy Fry

Linux Addict!

#9 Duma

Duma

Artist

• Members
  • 2392 posts
  • LocationRivalta (TO) - Italia

Posted 06 May 2015 - 11:31 AM

Dear Santa,
This year I was very good, so please can you give me one or more of this things:

• A good systray support to kick in the nuts Enlightenment: here's a couple of useful things:
    • Transparent background on Xembed support, like all the other DE
    • Hide redundant systray icons: XFCE allows to select some hicons that stay hidden on tray and you can display them clicking on an arrow on the tray that enlarge it to show all its icons
    • AWN system tray had grid option / multirow feature: could be something interesting?
  • A taskbar/dockbar like DockbarX: Icons pinned and if you right click you'll open a window. If the window is already open, it get focused instead open another instance. A centered click can show a menu for see all the instances or to force to open another one, even if it's already open.
  • Support for Quicklist / Desktop Action on ibar (or other taskbar)? Like Win7 or Unity, it's something cool.
  • The three part menu with Application, Places and System like old GNOME2 or MATE, I've tried to create a module by myself, but I've failed :(
  • Better Drag and Drop support, for example if I drag a file from desktop to attach on browser or email client, on other DE I can drag it to the taskbar button, now the application gets focused and I can drop in the browser / mail client
  • EFM Tabs could be cool
  • A Bulbasaur peluche: it's the best pokemon ever even if on Pokemon red and blue it's stupid begin with it. :D

Thank you Santa, I'll release milk and cookies for you under the tree :D (and maybe a theme or two :P )

Se sei italiano e interessato a Linux, clicca qui!

#10 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12402 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 03:01 PM

make enlightenment file manager accept custom file manager actions, like nautilus,thunar and pcmanfm.

One of the things I want to do is fuller integration of other file managers. IMO the E file manager is not feature rich enough to be that useful and it has a number of annoying quirks.

#11 Kev

Kev

An Aged Technophile

• Members
  • 323 posts
  • LocationMichigan USA

Posted 06 May 2015 - 03:17 PM

One of the things I want to do is fuller integration of other file managers. IMO the E file manager is not feature rich enough to be that useful and it has a number of annoying quirks.

I like the idea.  I also like the idea of being to ascribe custom actions(from a properties menu option) via a right click menu so that I can right click on a file and "Send it to ..." or "Encrypt this ..."  OR "Change Access level ... "  etc... I also like the idea of being able to get file metrics as well.  I think some of that can be done in Nautilus... maybe even PCFileMan(?)...

- Kevin

#12 Kev

Kev

An Aged Technophile

• Members
  • 323 posts
  • LocationMichigan USA

Posted 06 May 2015 - 03:26 PM

Another nice feature, imo, would be a icon picker for creating personal application launcher.  This would be the Desktop Entry Editor -> Icon tab.

- Kevin

#13 smurfslover

smurfslover

• Members
  • 434 posts
  • LocationBelgium

Posted 06 May 2015 - 04:17 PM

Don't really care for the menu cause i mostly search with everything but it looks indeed very old fashioned and cluttered
Most important to me are a decent systray (ex window users can't live without) and an easy to use launcher.

#14 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12402 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 08:02 PM

Most important to me are a decent systray (ex window users can't live without) and an easy to use launcher.

I think E17 already fills both of these. Which is why I think it is already a reasonable choice :)

#15 Calippo

Calippo

• Members
  • 40 posts
  • LocationEnschede, Netherlands

Posted 06 May 2015 - 08:33 PM

• A taskbar/dockbar like DockbarX: Icons pinned and if you right click you'll open a window. If the window is already open, it get focused instead open another instance. A centered click can show a menu for see all the instances or to force to open another one, even if it's already open.

Agree with most of what Duma is proposing. Especially this one.

#16 marcel

marcel

• Members
  • 194 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 06 May 2015 - 08:52 PM

Something like windows snap, drag your window to a border and it will reshape, using half of your screen. It's a feature that is introduced in most modern desktops and to me a feature that makes using stacking wm's bearable.

#17 Sitting Fox

Sitting Fox

• Team
  • 551 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 09:38 PM

Yeah, I have no problem with Everything, and I'm not so much about adding things that are just apps or minor configuration things.

1. A divider/separator shelf gadget. Discussed in another thread, it would be a gadget that takes up a fixed amount of pixels (of your choice) on the shelf. This would allow you to space what you want more clearly, as well as do things like draw a conky clock on the bar without worry of the icons moving over on top of it or something.

2. Though with that said, more options to customize the digital clock display would be nice. My old laptop would have something like "Wed 5:50 PM" in one line, I think? When I was doing my foreign language requirement at uni, I had set the clock and calendar to be in that language, which I do kind of miss. I mean, made it seem different and mine.

3. I'm not so sure about how I would recommend changing the main menu, but if there was an easier way to personally customize it up (through a GUI interface), that would be awesome.

4. I know there are plans to simplify theme setup. In that, I think making it so themes could switch between different particular options would be awesome. If anything, to allow themes to have left- and right-buttoned versions in one setup, whether the option would only come up on themes with it specially implemented or not.

5. If getting the File, Edit, etc. bar to show up in a shelf as opposed to the window is not too much trouble, it would be nice option for folks converting from that and allows more screen space.

6. An iBar that functions more like e19's, in the least, though improved would be nice. Bringing this functionality to Engage would be cool.

#18 Randy

Randy

Bodhi-Care

• Members
  • 614 posts
  • LocationFort Wayne, IN USA

Posted 07 May 2015 - 12:55 AM

Something like windows snap, drag your window to a border and it will reshape, using half of your screen. It's a feature that is introduced in most modern desktops and to me a feature that makes using stacking wm's bearable.

Enlightenment kinda does this with edge bindings except you have to bounce your mouse off the edge off the screen. I have mine set so if i mouse off the right side the active window fills half the right side of the screen. Still not as nice as just dragging the window.

Randy Fry

Linux Addict!

#19 aka jazz

aka jazz

• Banned
  • 611 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 09:34 AM

I do this in every computer, that has e. Install a drop down console or session. There is qingy or yeahconsole in the repos.

The console is triggered by one button. But in it I have every admin thing I ever do, so I have a reference for later on.

On second thought, I could still do it. I wonder if having moksha come with one built in would improve things or not so much. You have always worked with x workspaces. Now think of having x + 1 for admin and other  tasks. So if you can't remember what else you sudo-ed, one press with the pinky and there it is.

Screenshots of e17 at the Gallerie des shedied and here for just one only. Incidentally,why don't you try our friendly IRC channel for some help? (link up top) or watch an e-ducational clip that's 2 and a half minutes long

#20 Duma

Duma

Artist

• Members
  • 2392 posts
  • LocationRivalta (TO) - Italia

Posted 07 May 2015 - 10:15 AM

Searching on Enlightenment Screen Shots I often see something like this:

e-554b2b8ff0f6e6.52216872.png

I'm asking myself if it is possible to take codes from E-git with this EFM and try to use with Moksha. :D

Se sei italiano e interessato a Linux, clicca qui!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users