Things Moksha Could do Better

• Please log in to reply
100 replies to this topic

#21 aka jazz

aka jazz

• Banned
  • 611 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 01:24 PM

boy there sure are a lot of good ideas here, its like being in the import section of beers from around the world at the supermarket. It's like after reaching enlightenment, you suddenly went Hmmm, what if...

Screenshots of e17 at the Gallerie des shedied and here for just one only. Incidentally,why don't you try our friendly IRC channel for some help? (link up top) or watch an e-ducational clip that's 2 and a half minutes long

A big thank you to everyone who contributes to Bodhi Linux

#22 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12333 posts
  • LocationBloomington, IL

Posted 07 May 2015 - 03:35 PM

I'm asking myself if it is possible to take codes from E-git with this EFM and try to use with Moksha. :D

This wasn't in E's git last I checked. It was a third party file manager that MIGHT replace EFM at some point and it is currently very unstable to the point of not being usable.

#23 Asaf.h

Asaf.h

• Members
  • 126 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 03:39 PM

Exciting things happened with bodhi

I hope that this is a chanse to bring the Tablet profile back to live..

maybe with some improvments in the illume keyboard...

1. it would be grate to have the option to bisable the auto return to letters when entering a number.

2. to be able to call the keyboard with a terminal commant.. that wey to be able to creat a firefox extention that will auto pup up the keybard.

3. to have a copy, cut paste buttons..

this would be a grate start :-)

Assaf

#24 Duma

Duma

Artist

• Members
  • 2392 posts
  • LocationRivalta (TO) - Italia

Posted 07 May 2015 - 03:50 PM

This wasn't in E's git last I checked. It was a third party file manager that MIGHT replace EFM at some point and it is currently very unstable to the point of not being usable.

Ok great leave it out until it will be stable :D

Se sei italiano e interessato a Linux, clicca qui!

#25 <-sef>

<-sef>

Bodhi Builder Wizard

• Developer
  • 226 posts
  • LocationATL

Posted 14 May 2015 - 03:47 AM

Are there plans for Wayland support at some point? From what I've read online, e19 and Ubuntu are both working toward Wayland. Supposedly it's really buggy at this point, but it seems to me that the greater part of the linux community is working toward making Wayland a mainstay. I know that it could be a little while before Wayland is stable, but it's worth a thought in regards to the shelf life of moksha.

There will be backward compatibility with xorg, but the boastings of Wayland make it sound like it's going to improve the user experience greatly.

<-sef>

Nothing is as simple as it seems at first,
or as hopeless as it seems in the middle,
or as finished as it seems in the end.

#26 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12333 posts

Posted 14 May 2015 - 04:31 AM

We will not be supporting things like wayland. I'm not in the business of fixing things that aren't broken. X works.

Wayland support is a big reason the back end was completely rewritten in E18+ and it is what causes it to run so much slower then E17 on a great deal of hardware.

For those who want wayland Bodhi will be packing up the latest stable E as always still.

#27 alienman24

alienman24

• Members
  • 59 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 14 May 2015 - 03:41 PM

This seems like a minor bug in E17 but it effects me often.  I've posted about it before as 3.0 was being developed but since it was a bug in E17's code all we could do was work around it.  

In enlightenment file manager if you enable the option for single click to open files AND you have the option to open dir in place then E crashes.

I would love it if that little bug was fixed!

#28 Vaidas

Vaidas

Gravity Sucks

• Moderators
  • 1518 posts

Posted 14 May 2015 - 06:41 PM

As everyone are suggesting how Moksha could be improved compared to E here are my 5cent:

- Double tab window title to maximize whole window like in all normal DE

- Systray which works

- Decent file manager, I am starting to like Thunar, PCmanFM like in old releases was nice too

- Out of box network support (samba)

- Configurable login manager, it is small stuff which makes distro great, customization is one of the keys

-One key start for Everything launcher, if I am not mistaken you need at-least two keys to set shortcut

#29 Sitting Fox

Sitting Fox

• Team
  • 551 posts

Posted 14 May 2015 - 10:48 PM

I think making double-tapping the bar simply configurable would be awesome. Making it maximize, make it minimize/iconify, keep the shading, whatever.

#30 aka jazz

aka jazz

• Banned
  • 611 posts

Posted 15 May 2015 - 01:04 AM

Vaidotas, you may have to reconsider your definition of normal. I sit with Sitting Fox, make it configurable (it isn't yet?), but feel free to pick what action the double tap will do. now that's enlightened definition of 'normal';) I recall that when I accidentally double clicked the title bar in --ew--windows it maximized and covered everything else (I think you can hardly manipulate a maximised window); I would hardly call that *spit* a normal DE   S-P-I-T (had to check)

BTW Vaidotas, I was able to bind one key for Launch everything e.g. Pause. Remember that the e devs may have set it with a 2 key launch, but there is 'delete binding' or 'modify binding' or simply ignore their setting and proceed with Add binding and use 1 key to do it. The road to enlightenment goes a little further up, or down.

Screenshots of e17 at the Gallerie des shedied and here for just one only. Incidentally,why don't you try our friendly IRC channel for some help? (link up top) or watch an e-ducational clip that's 2 and a half minutes long

#31 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12333 posts

Posted 15 May 2015 - 04:54 AM

Lots of good suggestions here. Single buttons for key bindings is a really good idea. I know I'd love to be able to bind something to just the "super" key.

#32 Vaidas

Vaidas

Gravity Sucks

• Moderators
  • 1518 posts

Posted 15 May 2015 - 06:48 AM

Lots of good suggestions here. Single buttons for key bindings is a really good idea. I know I'd love to be able to bind something to just the "super" key.

Exactly!

#33 Duma

Duma

Artist

• Members
  • 2392 posts

Posted 15 May 2015 - 07:38 AM

As everyone are suggesting how Moksha could be improved compared to E here are my 5cent:

And E it's not "special", it's a normal DE as all the others: http://forums.bodhil...ent/#entry92320 :D

#34 Vaidas

Vaidas

Gravity Sucks

• Moderators
  • 1518 posts

Posted 15 May 2015 - 08:57 AM

And E it's not "special", it's a normal DE as all the others: http://forums.bodhil...ent/#entry92320 :D

Ok, is already has this feature, but then it could come outofbox. As in years I was using it never for some reason found it :D

As my PC uses dual monitors maximizing windows is quite useful. 

#35 Sitting Fox

Sitting Fox

• Team
  • 551 posts

Posted 15 May 2015 - 12:43 PM

I think putting the Signal Bindings in the same place as Key Bindings, Edge Bindings, etc. in the main menu would be a good idea.

But I have no interest in replacing the default, never liking the maximize version myself, but that's me. At the end of the day, people can customize it to what they want though, so I can deal with whatever. Just think the better thing to fix is making Signal Bindings more discoverable.

#36 <-sef>

<-sef>

Bodhi Builder Wizard

• Developer
  • 226 posts
  • LocationATL

Posted 15 May 2015 - 03:54 PM

- Systray which works

- Decent file manager, I am starting to like Thunar, PCmanFM like in old releases was nice too

- Out of box network support (samba)

- Configurable login manager, it is small stuff which makes distro great, customization is one of the keys

-One key start for Everything launcher, if I am not mistaken you need at-least two keys to set shortcut

I hate to be picky, but I think some of these things are related more to bodhi and the packages that are decidedly installed or left out. Moksha would have to do more about how to interface with the linux operating system and also control the appearance of windows.

- Whether to install whichever file manager is a bodhi function.

- Network support of samba would also be a bodhi function.

- Also, I think that the login manager (display manger) would very likely be related more to bodhi than moksha. There are exceptions. If I have a gnome desktop and uninstall it, it will also uninstall GDM. Though I don't have a ton of experience regarding the relationship of DM's to their relative desktop, so perhaps I can default to Jeff on this one. :)

The only reason I mention it is because this list could end up getting pretty long if we don't start separating the bodhi stuff from the moksha stuff. Also, we could end up changing the bodhi core when many like it the way it is, with user choice being the ultimate option and power.

Maybe a good way to think about it is:  If I completely uninstalled Moksha, would this be left behind in the Bodhi Operating System? If so, it's related to Bodhi, if not, it's related to Moksha.

<-sef>

Nothing is as simple as it seems at first,
or as hopeless as it seems in the middle,
or as finished as it seems in the end.

#37 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12333 posts

Posted 15 May 2015 - 05:22 PM

I'm aware of these differences sef, but it is useful to point them out for others.

For instance one thing Moksha can do better is fuller integration of third party file managers.

#38 Duma

Duma

Artist

• Members
  • 2392 posts

Posted 16 May 2015 - 01:45 PM

For instance one thing Moksha can do better is fuller integration of third party file managers.

I don't know how deep can go the edits of E core, but maybe reduce the EFM functionality to a desktop viewer and let all to a 3rd part file manager (in case of missing a 3rd part FM, maybe it display EFM).

Or something like places module, where you can put  a file manager for open disks. The same for EFM on Desktop (or in the main menu, its navigation is cool).

#39 Paraplegic Racehorse

Paraplegic Racehorse

• Members
  • 44 posts
  • LocationSeward, AK

Posted 17 May 2015 - 09:06 PM

Has thought been given to writing a Human Interface Guidelines document and then fixing things to comply with it? Does the parent E project have such a thing already which could be customized for Moksha's expected userbase?

edit:

Same for coding guidelines.

Stable: Lenovo G50 :: Ubuntu GNOME 16.04
Testing: Dell Inspiron Mini10 :: Bodhi Linux 4 Legacy

GitHub: ParaplegicRacehorse

#40 aka jazz

aka jazz

• Banned
  • 611 posts

Posted 18 May 2015 - 04:01 PM

I hope its IRC shows more signs of life. We want it to be more active like the others (Ubuntu et al, mandrake during its glory days, etc)

so that they can try things right there. and not have to wait that long

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users