Things Moksha Could do Better

• Please log in to reply
100 replies to this topic

#41 capidamonte

capidamonte

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 19 May 2015 - 08:34 PM

I'm just chiming in to support the idea of the illume keyboard as a module. Other elements of the tablet stuff from prior versions of E would be nice, too, if they could just be added and removed like any normal module. (I'm thinking of the desktop launcher, for instance.) I'm also a big, big fan of Thunar so would love it if the file manager were configurable. It's not E, but it's also not EFM which is some sort of torture-test to determine whether you're crazy enough to be an E developer. If you can't use it as root, it's not a tool, it's a placebo. (Has that changed recently? Couldn't use it as root when I last tried.)

A big thank you to everyone who contributes to Bodhi Linux

#42 aka jazz

aka jazz

• Banned
  • 611 posts

Posted 20 May 2015 - 01:08 AM

I believe not allowing one to use the file manager as root was a smart decision, when you take a long hard look at it. Sure you may not be a cowboy coder on the level of an e developer. Will that stop you from using a terminal and start typing sudo something-or-other or pulling that command line thingie from your utility belt and type the appropriate command (really was it mv or cp), or are you starting to devise a crutch by picking yet another file manager that has it? Start using those hardly used brain cells, man! or just throw in the towel and boot i don't know, ubuntu (sorry to those wannabes and sudoers; there, at least I separated them).

I use a drop down console utility called yeahconsole similar to qingy when I need to keep track of admin-like steps. Leave those file managers for those newbies refusing to learn the command line, and their questions will always be along the lines of How do I install.... You don't need to climb to the top of the mountain. Really. The posers are over there, see that crowd? The enlightened ones though, will be expecting you at the top, with the question, what took you so long.

Screenshots of e17 at the Gallerie des shedied and here for just one only. Incidentally,why don't you try our friendly IRC channel for some help? (link up top) or watch an e-ducational clip that's 2 and a half minutes long

#43 sef

sef

Bodhi Builder Wizard

• Developer
  • 308 posts
  • LocationATL

Posted 22 May 2015 - 04:28 PM

Maybe add a 'switch user' selection to the System Controls module. I do it by issuing the command 'dm-tool switch-to-greeter'.

I've been torn as to whether to suggest this or not. It opens the default DM in another tty. (Typically tty8 if tty7 is currently running X) Then you can login as another user, however, it's not a good idea to log in as the same user twice as it causes instability. To get back to the previous user's session, go to tty7. For security, might want to make the command 'enlightenment_remote -desktop-lock && dm-tool switch-to-greeter'. Removing the possibility of logging in twice as the same user would take a little tweaking of LightDM.

It's a good command to know so you don't have to exit out of enlightenment and lose all your windows just to switch users. But it might not be ready for prime-time yet because of the possiblity of logging in as the same user twice.

Forum Rules (link)

---------------------------------------------------

Nothing is as simple as it seems at first, or as hopeless as it seems in the middle,

or as finished as it seems in the end.

---------------------------------------------------

"That's not how the force works..."

#44 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12440 posts
  • LocationBloomington, IL

Posted 22 May 2015 - 04:38 PM

I doubt we are going to be adding features as major as supporting multiple users logging in.

#45 BeGo

BeGo

• Members
  • 139 posts
  • LocationBogor, Indonesia

Posted 23 May 2015 - 01:40 PM

This rather far, but,

Integration of Personal Information Management and Cloud Services Management Modules. :)

#46 disadjusted

disadjusted

• Members
  • 92 posts
  • LocationSouth West Germany

Posted 22 June 2015 - 09:42 AM

please make the system / power / logout menu configurable, at least which items are shown and in which order. no matter whether by file or by settings dialogue...

as discussed here: http://forums.bodhil...ead-of-suspend/

thanks a lot in advance!

#47 disadjusted

disadjusted

• Members
  • 92 posts
  • LocationSouth West Germany

Posted 22 June 2015 - 09:49 AM

I'm aware of these differences sef, but it is useful to point them out for others.

For instance one thing Moksha can do better is fuller integration of third party file managers.

sorry to ask, but in which way aren't they integrated yet? I've installed and am using both thunar (for the folder URI input field) and gnome files (for the recent files hotfolder) alongside efm (for the speed of its UI and previewing pictures) and all 3 seem to work quite similar (in terms of great) and i have no clue what makes them different in terms of integration...

#48 SmartDuck

SmartDuck

Zenware Developer

• Developer
  • 81 posts
  • LocationWaalwijk, the Netherlands

Posted 10 July 2015 - 05:47 PM

- Improved drag and drop of app icons to the iBar (pain in the ..., takes 4-5 tries),

- Better multi screen support, pagers for example, one for the screens combined,

- Theme files get messed up, for example when switching from one theme to another on some apps the previous theme is still there.

Running...

Bodhi 4.2.0 64bit on a Lenovo 110s

Bodhi 4.1.0 Legacy on a Dell Latitude D505
Damn Small 4.4.10 on an old Compaq Armada 1590DT (48MB memory and 3GB harddisk and still usable for administration tasks)
A couple of Raspberry Pi 's,

Arduino' s

and MSX 1 and 2 computers

#49 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12440 posts

Posted 12 July 2015 - 06:21 PM

What type of applications are you seeing the previous theme still in when changing themes? Are they GTK / QT apps?

#50 SmartDuck

SmartDuck

Zenware Developer

• Developer
  • 81 posts
  • LocationWaalwijk, the Netherlands

Posted 15 July 2015 - 11:44 AM

Hi Jeff,

ePad, eeUpdater for example.

Running...

Bodhi 4.2.0 64bit on a Lenovo 110s

Bodhi 4.1.0 Legacy on a Dell Latitude D505
Damn Small 4.4.10 on an old Compaq Armada 1590DT (48MB memory and 3GB harddisk and still usable for administration tasks)
A couple of Raspberry Pi 's,

Arduino' s

and MSX 1 and 2 computers

#51 Duma

Duma

Artist

• Members
  • 2392 posts
  • LocationRivalta (TO) - Italia

Posted 15 July 2015 - 04:39 PM

Hi Jeff,

ePad, eeUpdater for example.

I suppose you have to change theme from Elementary Configuration, it is something that on e19 was changed, but Elementary themes on e17 were managed separately from Edj ones.
Se sei italiano e interessato a Linux, clicca qui!

#52 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12440 posts

Posted 21 July 2015 - 03:18 AM

As duma mentioned these are elm applications that use a separate theme file / setting in Moksha and E17 unlike in E19. When I get around to rewriting the configuration dialogs for Moksha settings the theme for GTK / Elm / Moksha itself will all be one step ideally.

#53 Flymo

Flymo

Diamond Geezer

• Members
  • 231 posts
  • LocationCentral Victoria, Australia

Posted 29 July 2015 - 10:08 AM

Many good thoughts here, folks - interesting stuff.

I've 'Liked' the ones that  appeal to me.

This thought may seem like an 'old codger eyesight' issue, but I've checked with some of the young'uns in our posse, and it  met with agreement. 

It's this:  easier re-sizing of all windows/dialogue-boxes/whatever.

I have long  suffered from computer rage (since Win 3.0) when dealing with Windows because of this issue - they'd only give you the size of box/window thing  that they deemed adequate, so you'd end up peering through this tiny aperture on your screen trying to scry the entrails of some operation by panning-and-scanning with scroll bars, if you were lucky.  

Keyhole surgery with a blunt axe if you were unlucky.

So easily fixed with a sticky re-sizable window/box/whatever.

Bodhi has been wonderful in this regard - in Bodhi 1.0 I'd just go into Settings -> All -> Settings-> Dialogs and then tick the  "Remember size and Position of Dialogs" box.

Then as we'd use our newly installed system varii boxes/windows would get resized for our use case until everything pretty much fitted when launched. Great!

Then one day, with a(nother) fresh ISO installation, Hooray!  

Some wond'rous person had arranged that this was pre-ticked on installation.  

Thank you, Jeff! :D 

But...

I do struggle with the current Enlightenment box/window re-sizing tool.  It's very pretty, but if I'm honest, I prefer that little arrow-angle in the corner (is that a GTK thing?) which is less pretty but so much easier to work.          

I've searched the forum & wiki on 'sizing' and 're-sizing' with no luck so far. 

Turns out that  it's not just bespectacled geriatric beardies peering at 32" screens  that  feel this way, some of our teens (now  flying solo) also find the re-sizing tool annoying, but had never mentioned it until asked.

So, could Moksha have re-sizeable windows/boxen *wherever* possible, and a 'less-tricksy'  sizing tool, please?               

#54 Deepspeed

Deepspeed

Sir Creeps-a-lot

• Developer
  • 543 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 11:55 AM

@flymo, I've heard this dozens of times over the years on IRC.  E/Moksha has always had a very small space where the mouse pointer changes at the edge of windows and you can click/drag to resize.  It's annoying. 

One of the things I loved about linux originally was the standardized resize box in the bottom right corners of lots of GTK apps and others.  It made it easier to resize stuff than in window$.  Then I found bodhi, and I think it's better than the rest of linux except for a few small things.  This is one of those things.  Hopefully we'll find a fix for it.  Thanks for the input. :)

#55 Duma

Duma

Artist

• Members
  • 2392 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 05:36 PM

SimplEx theme that I hope to release on Agusy will have big window borders, so it will be easy the resizing of window in every direction. :)

#56 Deepspeed

Deepspeed

Sir Creeps-a-lot

• Developer
  • 543 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 12:18 AM

It's not the size of the window border that matters, really.  The borders just need an invisible area of about 25-30 pixels around it that will allow the mouse to click/drag to resize.

Or you could do the GTK thing and start standardizing a "click here to resize" corner widget on apps we make.  The first option sounds easier lol

#57 Flymo

Flymo

Diamond Geezer

• Members
  • 231 posts
  • LocationCentral Victoria, Australia

Posted 30 July 2015 - 03:17 PM

Thanks, folks!

I've long been burrowing around for something I could configure, but mealtimes and tax forms and other real life items have usually interrupted my attempts over the years.  

A larger Invisible Area sounds pretty neat.  Don't want to choose a harder option unless it's essential.

About the new Moksha Menu -  it is certainly much less cluttered which is good,  but I find I do miss the "Windows" item that  finds things on our 3 or 4 desktops.

Rather than asking here for its restitution or replacement, I did some research...

Turns out one can assign a hotkey pair (I chose ALT-F11) pretty easily to bring up the "Window Plugin" for Do Everything. 

Menu > Settings > All > Input > Key Bindings

..then select  ALT-F11 in the left pane 
...and scroll down to Everything Launcher in the right one.
"Show Windows Plugin" is a bit lower down - select that too, and click on Apply. 

Done!

This sorta solves it, except for one of the weirdnesses of Do Everything.

What it'll do is offer a useful list of windows, but *only* the first time.

If I use one of the choices which takes me to my window most effectively, Do Everything now knows what I like!  

So next time I hit Alt-F11, that 's the only one it shows. 

It's _too_ helpful!  <_<

There's probably a setting to nullify this  for Do Everything that I have yet to find.

If I do, I'll post it.

(Edit: It's pretty easy, I'm appending it to the end of this post.)

Which reminds me...

Why is Do Everything set in cement on the Double-Click thing? My arthritis objects to it...

Please tell me that's an easy one to fix?

Pretty Please? :D

Edit:

========================================================

How to modify the Do Everything 'Windows Plugin'

This may or may not be the right way, but it works for me...

Menu > Settings > All > Launcher > Everything Configuration

Select the "Plugins" tab near the top.
Ensure the "Subject" tab is selected on the row below, then "Windows" in the left-hand pane.

Uncheck "Show in All" and "Show in Top Level"

Hit 'OK', and it's done.

#58 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12440 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 08:17 PM

You can also just press enter to trigger the thing you want launched from everything. As a 100% keyboard driven tool it is super quick. Arrow keys work as well.

#59 Duma

Duma

Artist

• Members
  • 2392 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 11:28 PM

It's not the size of the window border that matters, really.  The borders just need an invisible area of about 25-30 pixels around it that will allow the mouse to click/drag to resize.

Or you could do the GTK thing and start standardizing a "click here to resize" corner widget on apps we make.  The first option sounds easier lol

Yes, I obviously mean that the swallow parts e.event.resize.* will be bigger on SimplEx theme, but I've explained in an easy way :P

#60 DennisD

DennisD

• Team
  • 328 posts

Posted 31 July 2015 - 02:13 AM

Start module could be themed like cinnamon. Also, a search field in the start module would be nice.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users