Photo

update-apt-xapi dragging system down

update synaptic index

Best Answer ylee, 09 August 2015 - 05:14 PM

hmmm, my machines have no issue with this so I can't really duplicate the issue ...

But seems to be cause by limited memory ... maybe ... how much memory does your machine have? The command works fine even on my netbook with 1 G.

Anyways worth a shot, edit as root /etc/cron.weekly/apt-xapian-index and replace the line

nice -n 19 $IONICE -c3 $CMD --quiet

with

nice -n 19 $IONICE -c3 $CMD --update --quiet

also replace the line

nice -n 19 $CMD --quiet

with

nice -n 19 $CMD --update --quiet

The theory here is to update the database instead of rebuild it, should be faster and use less resources.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 DaveL60

DaveL60

• Members
  • 197 posts
  • LocationEastern USA

Posted 09 August 2015 - 12:18 PM

My browser was totally crawling for a while when I launched it this morning after updating.  Not the first time I've noticed such behavior, but I went digging a little harder today for a cause.  Checking top, I saw a process labeled "update-apt-xapi" was using most of the CPU.  I found this thread in the forum archives that reported a similar problem, but most of the discussion seemed to center on update server problems, not the local machine. A Google search turns out that the full process name is "update-apt-xapian-index" and it has to do with rebuilding the indices for Synaptic.  So, two questions:

1. Is there some way to not have this process drag my machine down for several minutes after an update completes?
  2. Is there some modification that should be made to the default configuration so this doesn't routinely happen?

Thanks,

DaveL

A big thank you to everyone who contributes to Bodhi Linux

#2 ylee

ylee

King of the Software Page

• Moderators
  • 1585 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina, USA

Posted 09 August 2015 - 05:14 PM   Best Answer

hmmm, my machines have no issue with this so I can't really duplicate the issue ...

But seems to be cause by limited memory ... maybe ... how much memory does your machine have? The command works fine even on my netbook with 1 G.

Anyways worth a shot, edit as root /etc/cron.weekly/apt-xapian-index and replace the line

nice -n 19 $IONICE -c3 $CMD --quiet

with

nice -n 19 $IONICE -c3 $CMD --update --quiet

also replace the line

nice -n 19 $CMD --quiet

with

nice -n 19 $CMD --update --quiet

The theory here is to update the database instead of rebuild it, should be faster and use less resources.

"No technology can ever be too arcane or complicated for the black t-shirt crowd."

#3 DaveL60

DaveL60

• Members
  • 197 posts
  • LocationEastern USA

Posted 15 August 2015 - 12:47 PM

It appears the machine has 2GB RAM. I've made the change you suggested and will mark this solved for now. This machine only gets intermittent use, so it might be a while before I'm confident it's fixed.

Thanks for the help.

#4 DaveL60

DaveL60

• Members
  • 197 posts
  • LocationEastern USA

Posted 30 August 2015 - 12:41 PM

Well, it's been a week or two since I used this machine.  Ran eepdater, then dove in with Chrome and everything appears to be running much more smoothly.  Hopefully this will remain a solid fix.

#5 ylee

ylee

King of the Software Page

• Moderators
  • 1585 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina, USA

Posted 31 August 2015 - 10:38 AM

Well, it's been a week or two since I used this machine.  Ran eepdater, then dove in with Chrome and everything appears to be running much more smoothly.  Hopefully this will remain a solid fix.

It is great to hear that, glad to have helped :)

"No technology can ever be too arcane or complicated for the black t-shirt crowd."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users