8 replies to this topic

#1 rolfish

rolfish

• Members
  • 41 posts
  • LocationIndia (German)

Posted 12 August 2015 - 07:09 AM

Hi everyone,

for some particular reasons (which I can explain if wished :) I relay would like make working the Hibernate mode for Bodhi now. Also the network manager is making problems with mobile internet connection sometimes (after suspend mode device doesn’t appear what is very inconvenient if one uses the inbuilt slot under the battery case).

Still I'm using version 2.4 and thinking the easiest way to solve both is maybe tu upgrade Bodhi to version 3.

(there is also a third reason : long time ago since a virtual machine exceeded the drive space many of my icons got lost and even by installing a new icon set there where no icon-set in “Settings > All >Look > Application-theme > icons tab”)

Is the Hibernate mode working in Bodhi 3 ?
(I'am using an Fujitsu-Siemens Lifebook E-Series)
Is there a new network manager ?

And what about all the installed programs, will they remain by upgrading? Especially virtual-box and Apache web-server ?

Thank for your time  :) 

A big thank you to everyone who contributes to Bodhi Linux

#2 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12349 posts
  • LocationBloomington, IL

Posted 12 August 2015 - 02:46 PM

There is no direct upgrade path between major Bodhi versions. You will need to reinstall to move to the latest version.

#3 rolfish

rolfish

• Members
  • 41 posts
  • LocationIndia (German)

Posted 12 August 2015 - 03:14 PM

OK, same old subject: is there a way to make the Hibernate mode working for Bodhi 2.4 ?

The network manager prob is a minor one; i just must not forgett to disconnect before closing the lid.

#4 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12349 posts
  • LocationBloomington, IL

Posted 12 August 2015 - 03:20 PM

That is all hardware dependent. Does your hardware support hibernation on other Linux OSes? If so what command works on them?

#5 Deepspeed

Deepspeed

Sir Creeps-a-lot

• Developer
  • 543 posts

Posted 12 August 2015 - 03:23 PM

You can also just disable hibernation and work around that problem.  Bodhi shuts down and boots fast enough to not need hibernation desperately. 

#6 rolfish

rolfish

• Members
  • 41 posts
  • LocationIndia (German)

Posted 27 August 2015 - 01:30 AM

I am sorry had no time answer this sooner but need help.

I have tried pm-hibernate in terminal: a black screen with a message appeared, some like 'device not accepted' the laptop turned off. After opening the lid again it turned on automatically but Bodhi booted from the beginning.
BTW in the meanwhile I had extended my RAM from 2GB to 4GB but swap partition is still the same size. I am aware I have to fix this at first, works probably only with gparted; but what about the message 'device not accepted' is it only du to RAM size?

---

I am sorry to say the last answer is not really a good one:

The advantages of hibernate mode has nothing to do with boot time, there are much more important advantages. (BTW my Bodhi is not really booting fast anymore) But anyway after hibernate:

1. every application is still present again, like a workshop I had left and next morning everything looks the same as before and it is clear whre to continue.

2. Online problem: here in India where I am just volunteering we have some times network problems (can't be online always).
    All the tabs in Firefox which where displayed online once are displayed again after hibernate mode even if computer is not online - But if Firefox boots again and there is no network connection than Firefox shows only the stupid message : “Server not found”

3. In case of power cut (which are also regular in India) no data’s are lost unlike in Suspend-To RAM

4. Beside these advantages the hibernate mode saves a lot of drive usage as for ordinary booting a hard drive will be much more stressed.

#7 Deepspeed

Deepspeed

Sir Creeps-a-lot

• Developer
  • 543 posts

Posted 27 August 2015 - 02:43 AM

Idk how to fix the issue, especially not when there's a chance it's a different issue on different types of hardware.

If nobody else here knows, you'll just have to google different commands and tricks for making suspending/hibernate work with your hardware and a *buntu OS and experiment with them.   If you find a command or setup that works, let us know.

For reference when googling, bodhi 2.x is built on a 12.04 base and 3.x is on a 14.04 base.

#8 Elw3

Elw3

• Moderators
  • 1769 posts

Posted 27 August 2015 - 02:48 AM

That is all hardware dependent. Does your hardware support hibernation on other Linux OSes? If so what command works on them?

It is completely independent ... you confuse it with sleep. 

Normally there are two possible causes: Wrong boot arguments or missing swap.

I dont think it will need more space then what is used so unless you had tons of programs open 2gb should be enough.

Wild guess: Is that swap actually activated? If you modified you partitions after installation for example you need to activate the swap again. (because the name changes and automatic swap usage goes for names)

You can verify with  "swapon -s", there should be an /dev/sd.. entry

Note that this, or the "free" command, may show pseudo swap that is not on the HD (eg due to the ram compression module). 

Bad Wolf

#9 rolfish

rolfish

• Members
  • 41 posts
  • LocationIndia (German)

Posted 27 August 2015 - 12:02 PM

Thanks for the posts and for the tip of "swapon -s"

it says

/dev/zram0 partition 2062332 0 100

/dev/sda5 partition 4192928 0 -1

sda5 is the swap partition. I'll let you know when I found something more .

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Hibernate

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users