#1 The waiter

The waiter

Module Master

• Developer
  • 1715 posts
  • LocationBanska Bystrica, Slovakia

Posted 27 September 2015 - 09:26 PM

Hello

I have just fixed one of the moksha-extra-modules. I do not understand why but many modules are buggy or incomprehensibly weird. 

Forecasts module

1. input dialog for entering a city code was just 1 pixel height :) It was impossible to put any text inside. Fixed,
  2. bad weather description position overlapped with temperature. Fixed,
  3. the code was prepared for 5 days forecast but it was apparently not finished. Anyway author could spend just a few minutes (instead of my hours) to make a slider and add some code. Fixed,
  4. If you select 5 days forecast, icons and line spacing increase. Fixed (wait for my another release).

Screenshot module

1. it should have a camera sound during the grabbing. It was in the code but it did not work. I added a code and camera shooter sound to the sources (played via aplay). Fixed
  2. silly, too tiny camera icon on the shelf. Stupid bug in the code. Fixed today (wait for next release)
  3. 60 secs as default countdown timer. Sorry but ... :) lol, Fixed (next release)

Maybe I am wrong but as you can see, some modules are so sloppy so I wanted to devote this thread as a challenge for looking for another bugs or improvements. Please let me make these beautiful modules better:)

A big thank you to everyone who contributes to Bodhi Linux

#2 birdmun

birdmun

• Members
  • 440 posts
  • LocationWabash, IN

Posted 28 September 2015 - 09:03 AM

Thanks for the work you are devoting to this.

#3 ylee

ylee

King of the Software Page

• Moderators
  • 1585 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina, USA

Posted 28 September 2015 - 11:09 AM

Hello

I have just fixed one of the moksha-extra-modules. I do not understand why but many modules are buggy or incomprehensibly weird.

I think many modules are created as an afterthought merely to show users and other devs what is possible. Also some modules are created as an exercise in learning how to do it. And then sadly abandoned by the original author. For example see E17: Creation of a Moonclock module - Part 1

NOTE:
 This tutorial/blog post is badly dated and some of the information is not current and in addition some links may be broken. Part two on this tutorial you are going to have to find     elsewhere (thewayback machine) as the link is broke.

This explains why there are a few broken and or abandoned Modules, buggy modules and to many essentially toy modules that don't do anything useful.

Maybe I am wrong but as you can see, some modules are so sloppy so I wanted to devote this thread as a challenge for looking for another bugs or improvements. Please let me make these beautiful modules better:)

I really haven't had the time to look over many of the modules in moksha-modules-extra.  At least look over them in enough detail to find bugs or suggest improvements. However the whole point of FOSS is to make the code public and usable/editable by all. So you are doing a great job and certainly in the spirit of FOSS seva.  Much thanks :D

"No technology can ever be too arcane or complicated for the black t-shirt crowd."

#4 Kev

Kev

An Aged Technophile

• Members
  • 328 posts
  • LocationMichigan USA

Posted 28 September 2015 - 01:04 PM

Hopefully the code is commented rather well.... but that would probably be more of a hoped for item. 

- Kevin

#5 aka jazz

aka jazz

• Banned
  • 611 posts

Posted 30 September 2015 - 07:41 AM

It is hoped that I could get my ideal rig set up soon enough so I can put extra effort into this worthwhile endeavor, but I would also like to express my gratitude for your work in this area, waiter. This way, even just adding comments and documentation would be good enough for me to say cant you see I'm busy? while updating the snow module. -_-

Screenshots of e17 at the Gallerie des shedied and here for just one only. Incidentally,why don't you try our friendly IRC channel for some help? (link up top) or watch an e-ducational clip that's 2 and a half minutes long

#6 Kev

Kev

An Aged Technophile

• Members
  • 328 posts
  • LocationMichigan USA

Posted 30 September 2015 - 12:04 PM

Commenting code is good... Its a practice I have tried to maintain over the years.  Especially for customers who end up owning the code and have to maintain it.

- Kevin

#7 The waiter

The waiter

Module Master

• Developer
  • 1715 posts

Posted 30 September 2015 - 12:13 PM

Today I realized there were more useful modules which I used in the past under bodhi but I totally forgot them. Having some time today thus I compiled and created working debs of these ones:

photo-moksha - a picture box with slideshow on your desktop

mail-moksha - mail module/widget for checking your incoming mail 

news-moksha - RSS feed module

Modules are right now ready for testing and if are built properly, wait for another nice stuff :)

Enjoy

PS: not able to find a calendar module source code. Could you help me please?

• Kev likes this

#8 The waiter

The waiter

Module Master

• Developer
  • 1715 posts

Posted 01 October 2015 - 05:46 AM

All packages available in the repository now:)

#9 ylee

ylee

• Moderators
  • 1585 posts

Posted 01 October 2015 - 09:58 AM

PS: not able to find a calendar module source code. Could you help me please?

Maybe this is the module you seek?

"No technology can ever be too arcane or complicated for the black t-shirt crowd."

#10 The waiter

The waiter

Module Master

• Developer
  • 1715 posts

Posted 01 October 2015 - 10:38 AM

I have just found a site with source code of many and many e17 modules. Calendar was among them and it is now on my desktop. I will try to bring to live all nice or usefull modules. 

Modules which compiling and installing was successful:

Calendar

Snow

Winselector 

:)

• Kev likes this

#11 The waiter

The waiter

Module Master

• Developer
  • 1715 posts

Posted 01 October 2015 - 10:40 AM

Maybe it's a good idea to show the list of modules in order to users could choose one which they wish to have in repo. 

http://source.pisili...org/erdinc/E17/

#12 The waiter

The waiter

Module Master

• Developer
  • 1715 posts

Posted 02 October 2015 - 09:37 AM

Hmm I don't know why but page above doesn't work anymore. What a pity I didn't download all modules. Anyway 

alarm-moksha (module for setting up time to alarm you)

calendar-moksha (gadget on desktop with actual date and calendar when click)

diskio-moksha (disc activity gadget)

slideshow-moksha (automatic or manual desktop wallpapers changing gadget)

snow-moksha (snow flakes on your desktop will bring you a winter mood :))

winselector-moksha (windows switching gadget)

winlist-moksha (enhanced windows switching gadget - activate it with CTRL-ALT-"," or CTRL-ALT-"."))

for more info https://github.com/s...XTRA/winlist-ng

Winselector and winlist are better than default windows switcher appearing after ALT+TAB, because they can choose the app running on different desktops.

These modules were sent for testing and as usual after a while you can install them when Jeff puts them in the repository.

Enjoy :)

#13 Duma

Duma

Artist

• Members
  • 2392 posts
  • LocationRivalta (TO) - Italia

Posted 04 October 2015 - 08:17 AM

Waiter, an huge thank you for this great works of resurrection. I really miss alarm module and winselector is pretty cool!

It seems that winlist-moksha goes conflict with Ecomorph. Anybody else find this issue?

Se sei italiano e interessato a Linux, clicca qui!

#14 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12582 posts
  • LocationBloomington, IL

Posted 05 October 2015 - 12:28 AM

What is the winlist module supposed to do?

#15 The waiter

The waiter

Module Master

• Developer
  • 1715 posts

Posted 05 October 2015 - 04:40 AM

What is the winlist module supposed to do?

winlist-moksha (enhanced windows switching gadget - activate it with CTRL-ALT-"," or CTRL-ALT-"."))

for more info https://github.com/s...XTRA/winlist-ng

I wanted to try this module with ecomorph, but I am not able to enable Ecomorph here. 

#16 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12582 posts

Posted 05 October 2015 - 12:04 PM

winlist seems to work the same for me with or without ecomorph enabled.

#17 The waiter

The waiter

Module Master

• Developer
  • 1715 posts

Posted 05 October 2015 - 12:26 PM

I have found another perhaps great module. It is the trash module. I have successfully compiled and installed it. I have just two problems.

1. It uses as default Thunar for opening trash. There is no problem in sources put PcmanFM but it is need to be recompiled. The easy way should be to have more debs like: trash-thunar-moksha nad trash-pcmanfm-moksha but it is not ideal. Ideal should be the possibility of choosing your favorite FM. This is the hard way. I need to put extra code for showing the setting menu and a textbox for putting the name of FM and save/open it. Really enough work with unclear result... 

2. the second issue is, I am not able to put gagdet on the desktop, just on the shelf. It needs again my attention for understanding the code and fixing it.

In general I need to know if this is worth my struggling. Is anybody here who could use this gadget? Let me know please...

#18 ylee

ylee

• Moderators
  • 1585 posts

Posted 05 October 2015 - 04:16 PM

I have became interested in modules in general so of course I would like to see it working. Esp Option 2 which I know is much more work.

#19 The waiter

The waiter

Module Master

• Developer
  • 1715 posts

Posted 05 October 2015 - 08:33 PM

Good news after 4 hours work:

• Trash is now possible to place on the desktop. I don't understand why author didn't want to show icon on desktop. Agrr it was a hell to find the right line with a bug
  • There was another issue I didn't expect. When I clicked on the trash on desktop > 0, nothing happened. I found out, thunar was opened only on the desktop 0. I added a code for checking on which zone/desktop we are and opens FM on current desktop. Fixed :)

Maybe I will release the first version which is usable since today. I will change thunar to pcmanfm as it is a default file manager in Bodhi...

http://imgur.com/0IV2cXP

#20 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12582 posts

Posted 05 October 2015 - 11:53 PM

• There was another issue I didn't expect. When I clicked on the trash on desktop > 0, nothing happened. I found out, thunar was opened only on the desktop 0. I added a code for checking on which zone/desktop we are and opens FM on current desktop. Fixed :)

When you get done playing with the trash module do you think you could look into the places source code? It has a similar bug. When it is set to use a custom file manager that file manager always opens in zone zero instead of the current desktop.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users