User Management Documentation

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 BodhiNob

BodhiNob

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 October 2015 - 05:23 AM

Could someone please post a link to a Wiki page or other documentation that covers user/group/permissions management?

I am totally new to Bodhi and Linux and could not find any user/permissions management interface in any of the settings or configuration menus. Searching the Bodhi Wiki did not result with any topic covering permissions.

I have a fresh install of Bodhi on an old MacBook hoping to use it for OBD (On-board Diagnostics).

The software I installed (OBD Auto Doctor) is giving me permissions error when trying to connect to the OBD device plugged into the USB port.

I was told:
Please make sure your user is part of dialout group. At least in Ubuntu you need to be part of dialout group
in order to have access to the serial ports. Remember to logout/login or reboot after adding yourself to the group.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

A big thank you to everyone who contributes to Bodhi Linux

#2 BodhiNob

BodhiNob

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 October 2015 - 06:04 AM

I gave the terminal a try and used the following commands:

groups
MyUser adm cdrom sudo plugdev lpadmin sambashare
sudo usermod -aG dialout MyUser

When I ran groups again the dialout group is stil not listed.

#3 BodhiNob

BodhiNob

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 October 2015 - 06:18 AM

Looks like a reboot was necessary after adding a user to the group.  I though only Windows needed a restart for everything  :)

#4 Charles@Bodhi

Charles@Bodhi

Old Faithful

• Moderators
  • 4351 posts
  • LocationZeist, The Netherlands

Posted 04 October 2015 - 11:52 AM   Best Answer

Looks like a reboot was necessary after adding a user to the group.  I though only Windows needed a restart for everything  :)

Logout and login again would have been sufficient iirc.  :)

Welcome to the forums, glad you helped yourself and shared the result.

Enjoy,

Charles

Medion S4216 Ultrabook, 4GB RAM, 1TB HDD, WIN 10 & Bodhi 4.1.0-64 

Asus eeepc 901, 1GB RAM, 12 GB SSD, Bodhi 3.0.0-32-Legacy & Bodhi 4.1.0-32 Legacy

#5 ComputingFroggy

ComputingFroggy

• Members
  • 109 posts
  • LocationMarseilles, France

Posted 06 October 2015 - 05:41 AM

Logout and login again would have been sufficient iirc.  :)

Completely correct, groups information are read at login time, so you need to logout and login again for all the graphical applications.

But if you start a new Terminology, then in this application you will get your new group definition and you can start applications from there ! This can be useful to test whether the groups definition is correct !

Cheers,

L@u

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users