23 replies to this topic

#1 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12349 posts
  • LocationBloomington, IL

Posted 13 October 2015 - 04:41 AM

We are now slowly porting themes to the Moksha desktop: http://www.bodhilinu...sha-compatible/

Since that post we've also finished:

http://www.bodhilinu...electric-theme/

http://www.bodhilinu.../a/japan-theme/

http://www.bodhilinu...m/a/kl4k-theme/

A big thank you to everyone who contributes to Bodhi Linux

#2 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12349 posts

Posted 14 October 2015 - 04:10 AM

Few more:

http://www.bodhilinu.../a/seven-theme/

http://www.bodhilinu...m/a/pink-theme/

#3 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12349 posts

Posted 14 October 2015 - 02:39 PM

And another ->

http://www.bodhilinu...oonlight-theme/

#4 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12349 posts

Posted 14 October 2015 - 03:14 PM

And another ->

http://www.bodhilinu...sunshine-theme/

It seems E19 themes work pretty seamlessly with Moksha - which is great! Minimal changes from what Duma had done to port these last to to E19 to make them work with Moksha.

#5 The waiter

The waiter

Module Master

• Developer
  • 1478 posts
  • LocationBanska Bystrica, Slovakia

Posted 15 October 2015 - 11:04 AM

Agrrr, I am too hetero for that pink theme (really ugly) :)

#6 Charles@Bodhi

Charles@Bodhi

Old Faithful

• Moderators
  • 4351 posts
  • LocationZeist, The Netherlands

Posted 15 October 2015 - 11:59 AM

Agrrr, I am too hetero for that pink theme (really ugly) :)

Hmm, we do have some ladies amongst our members.  :rolleyes:

Medion S4216 Ultrabook, 4GB RAM, 1TB HDD, WIN 10 & Bodhi 4.1.0-64 

Asus eeepc 901, 1GB RAM, 12 GB SSD, Bodhi 3.0.0-32-Legacy & Bodhi 4.1.0-32 Legacy

#7 The waiter

The waiter

Module Master

• Developer
  • 1478 posts
  • LocationBanska Bystrica, Slovakia

Posted 15 October 2015 - 12:45 PM

I know, I am just kidding :)

#8 DennisD

DennisD

• Team
  • 328 posts

Posted 15 October 2015 - 01:35 PM

Really nice themes. I think that for the next bodhi release, the Forum Theme should be the default theme. This would give consistent theming (branding) across the distro, wiki, and app center. It would also further set Moksha apart from Enlightenment.

Also, I know this is not the right place, but in that same vein, I think it would be great to apply the Forum theme to the mobile version of the site forum, as well.

edit: typo

#9 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12349 posts

Posted 15 October 2015 - 02:13 PM

I want the default look of the desktop to be something more "neutral" than what the forum theme colors provide.

Perhaps that is wrong and we want something more loud like we had in the past.

#10 DennisD

DennisD

• Team
  • 328 posts

Posted 15 October 2015 - 02:34 PM

I want the default look of the desktop to be something more "neutral" than what the forum theme colors provide.

Perhaps that is wrong and we want something more loud like we had in the past.

I picked the forum theme simply because that is the current theme of everything else. Figured it would be easier to implement in the DE instead of changing everything else. Especially since theming is usually the first thing to get changed on a new install. (it also stands out more)

The real point of the comment is that it would be a good idea  (from a branding point of view) to get the theming consistent across the OS, the Site, and the Forum (desktop and mobile). Currently, all of those are different.

All of the new themes are great, but I think that the default should also set moksha and bodhi apart from e17,e18,19 and their respective distros (ELive, Sparky, etal) or any other distro for that matter.

#11 JollyRoger

JollyRoger

• Team
  • 182 posts
  • LocationHigh Wycombe, UK

Posted 15 October 2015 - 06:39 PM

I agree with DennisD, though I'm biased - I love the Forum theme.

I think it's great that Moksha is maturing, with all these themes etc. Many thanks to Jeff and the team for their efforts.

#12 Charles@Bodhi

Charles@Bodhi

Old Faithful

• Moderators
  • 4351 posts
  • LocationZeist, The Netherlands

Posted 15 October 2015 - 07:33 PM

Moksha is started as an OS independent desktop manager and does not have to use the Bodhi colors. I think the forums have a Bodhi feel already, having the same headers Bodhilinux is using and the main colors coming back in many details. Personally I don't see the need for more.

Moksha equipped with a neutral look is good even when I find the current look too flat. I prefer an iconset that jumps out a little bit more and a general impression that's less dark. 

Of course the growing number of themes that are available now and, I hope, many more to come pleases me, Japan theme is a delight.

More important might be improving Moksha to be better than E17 ever was. And that's not an easy task with still a small development group. I'm very thankful to the people that have joined Jeff in this without underestimating the role of everybody else who is actively involved with BodhiLinux.

Enjoy,

Charles

• Kev likes this

Medion S4216 Ultrabook, 4GB RAM, 1TB HDD, WIN 10 & Bodhi 4.1.0-64 

Asus eeepc 901, 1GB RAM, 12 GB SSD, Bodhi 3.0.0-32-Legacy & Bodhi 4.1.0-32 Legacy

#13 DennisD

DennisD

• Team
  • 328 posts

Posted 15 October 2015 - 08:32 PM

Moksha is started as an OS independent desktop manager and does not have to use the Bodhi colors. 

Though I somewhat agree that Moksha does not have to use Bodhi Colors, I still feel that consisting branding (logo, colors, etc) across the product as a whole is important. Think about about when you think about other distros:

Xubuntu

Ubuntu

Fedora

OpenSuse

Linux Mint

Immediately, certain colors come to mind, and their defaults have a consistent look and feel. Of course, people will change the theme to their liking, but it is the out of the box brand recognition that it important.

Of course, Moksha improvements are important, but I believe branding is just as important.

#14 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12349 posts

Posted 15 October 2015 - 09:36 PM

I can see that argument for a consistent look being important to the distro a whole. I wanted the 3.1.0 release to at least be a bit more about Moksha and a bit less about Bodhi so I went neutral.

For the 3.2.0 I can reasonably see using the forum theme by default. It is easy enough to change as we've said.

#15 DennisD

DennisD

• Team
  • 328 posts

Posted 16 October 2015 - 04:58 AM

Sounds like a good idea to me. Who knows ... maybe I will try to work up a flat forum theme that will be acceptable enough for possible inclusion.

#16 BeGo

BeGo

• Members
  • 110 posts
  • LocationBogor, Indonesia

Posted 16 October 2015 - 03:32 PM

I agree on "consistent" design, so I vote for yes to defaulting "Forum" theme. :)

I personally thanks for inclusion for Pink Theme, my Daughter love it! :)

#17 Sitting Fox

Sitting Fox

• Team
  • 551 posts

Posted 16 October 2015 - 10:58 PM

Yeah, I'm going to say that having a Bodhi-style default theme(s) has no impact on how Moksha is separate. What's on or for Bodhi doesn't have to be vanilla Moksha's.

Because if switching to Moksha means losing the Bodhi-ness we had with the E-themes previously......that doesn't make sense to me.

Frankly, I prefer the Bodhi leaf to the Moksha M. I just like the leaf better between the two. Though maybe if it was a beach or sky theme, where I can pretend it's a seagull, then it's cool.

#18 eric52

eric52

• Members
  • 35 posts
  • LocationSouthbury CT

Posted 23 November 2015 - 02:13 AM

I'm no artist, so allow me to prove that. Green is a tough color to work with or around. You would expect it to go with blue or yellow better than it does. It feels right with browns, but I suspect that's because plants feature greens and browns, making the combination familiar. Dark green and red are complements (opposite on a color wheel) but that union is equated with Xmas. Light green and purple are also complementary, but comic book artists seem to have favored that combination for villains. Green does not go with pink, no matter what golfers think. Marketing and packaging authorities have frequently recommended against green. The fact that it's politically correct does nothing to help the situation. Green does go with white, black, or gray, but so does any color. Featuring a green motif is a bold and risky move that doesn't leave a lot of aesthetic maneuvering room. Frankly, it's appropriate to Bodhi. I would stick with it and flaunt it.

Today only. Anger not. Worry not. Be grateful working karma. Be kind.

#19 BALLOON a.k.a. Fu-sen.

BALLOON a.k.a. Fu-sen.

• Members
  • 122 posts
  • LocationJapan

Posted 24 November 2015 - 12:43 AM

Would you apply the kanji of the button at random?

It is a totally different meaning.

加 = add

家 = home

除 = delete? remote?

The kanji in unison with operation is this:

小 = small

大 = big

閉 = close

BALLOON a.k.a. Fu-sen. (ふうせん Fu-sen.) form Japan

菩提 = ぼだい = Bodhi

Bodhi Linux | Linux memo (Japanese) hhttp://installlinux.jimdo.com/linux-%E3%83%A1%E3%83%A2/bodhi-linux/

#20 eric52

eric52

• Members
  • 35 posts
  • LocationSouthbury CT

Posted 24 November 2015 - 02:02 AM

Fu-sen - apologies for this cultural mishap. I am sure it happened in good faith and was not a random misuse of kanji. As you can deduce from my signature translation of Usui Mikao, my Japanese is a labored exercise in ignorance. I must agree with you; the kanji of the buttons seems wrong. What you have provided is obviously more appropriate. I would add that buttons with fairly universal symbols probably should not bear kanji for decorative purposes. I hope you realize that this was likely done in aesthetic admiration. Kanji are beautiful, even when not rendered in calligraphy. I would bet that Bodhi designers borrowed the incorrect motif unwittingly from some presumed authority. Thank you for calling attention to the error and providing a trustworthy correction. Regards - Eric 

Today only. Anger not. Worry not. Be grateful working karma. Be kind.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users