Photo

esudo password?

esudo

Best Answer Jeff, 29 October 2015 - 05:31 AM

Does your password contain special characters? I think I remember someone mentioning at some point esudo rejected some special characters, but they never spent the time to file a formal bug report so I don't have anything documented.

Esudo should accept your normal user password if everything is working correctly. Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 onyinyang

onyinyang

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 October 2015 - 04:42 AM

Hello!
I just installed bodhi linux on my acer one aspire. I was previously running linux mint and am used to ubuntu/debian based linux.
When I tried to use esudo/eepDater after install, my user password was denied. I can update from terminology in the traditional way (sudo apt-get update etc.) with my password but esudo will not accept it.

Am I missing something here?

Do I need to adjust some settings somewhere or is this a matter of reinstalling esudo?

Also, if I'm used to the terminal, is it better to just stick with manual updates/installs/etc. anyway?

Thanks so much!

A big thank you to everyone who contributes to Bodhi Linux

#2 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12522 posts
  • LocationBloomington, IL

Posted 29 October 2015 - 05:31 AM   Best Answer

Does your password contain special characters? I think I remember someone mentioning at some point esudo rejected some special characters, but they never spent the time to file a formal bug report so I don't have anything documented.

Esudo should accept your normal user password if everything is working correctly.

#3 onyinyang

onyinyang

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 October 2015 - 02:51 PM

Yes, it does(/did) have some special characters.

I've changed it to something without special characters and it's working now.

Thanks!

#4 Elw3

Elw3

• Moderators
  • 1769 posts

Posted 29 October 2015 - 08:59 PM

The bug was not only present in Esudo but in any other password form too. Even irc refused to connect, i had a "ß" in my pw at that time.

Thats why there was no bug report, it was too weird.

Bad Wolf

#5 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12522 posts

Posted 29 October 2015 - 10:09 PM

That is different from the issue here elw. This password worked via sudo but not esudo

#6 jesster

jesster

• Members
  • 13 posts
  • LocationGlasgow

Posted 01 November 2015 - 09:53 PM

I have a similar problem, I can't type anything after I sudo apt-get updates,
"sudo" password for... =
cursor won't respond to anything?

#7 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12522 posts

Posted 01 November 2015 - 10:07 PM

That is by design of the command line sudo tool. It does not show the characters as you type them. Type your password and then press enter jesster.

If you wish to see characters appear as you type use a GUI tool such as esudo.

#8 jesster

jesster

• Members
  • 13 posts
  • LocationGlasgow

Posted 01 November 2015 - 11:01 PM

Is the password [sudo] or the password my soon uses to log in, does it matter if he has used capitals?

#9 jesster

jesster

• Members
  • 13 posts
  • LocationGlasgow

Posted 01 November 2015 - 11:07 PM

Hi thanks got it

#10 Charles@Bodhi

Charles@Bodhi

Old Faithful

• Moderators
  • 4611 posts
  • LocationZeist, The Netherlands

Posted 01 November 2015 - 11:09 PM

The password may have capitals in it. If you have only one user ( created at installation) she has sudo rights and the password will be the same as for login. A second user must be authorised by the root-user to have sudo rights as well.

Enjoy,

Charles.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: esudo

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users