error loading module

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 kendew

kendew

• Members
  • 177 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 09:37 PM

We have Bodhi on three multi-user machines now, as well as my personal laptop, so I'm getting to see lots of stuff, as each user has their own way of using Bodhi. I want to solve an "error loading module" error message, which some users are getting that basically states "There was an error loading module named: conf_(name). No module named conf_(name)/linux-gnu-i486-ver-pre-svn-08/module.so could be found in the module search directories.
I understand the module is technically harmless and clicking "Yes" to "Would you like to unload this module?" gets rid of the message and everything works fine. However, as far as the user experience goes, having to click away several of these messages on login, and as far as wanting Bodhi to make a good impression on first time users, this is not harmless. On the contrary, I'm finding it harmful, and seek help in understanding the source of these messages and getting rid of them. As a lover of Bodhi, I want Bodhi to provide as much as possible an elegant, flawless experience to users and having these messages pop up all the time is simply not elegant.
Poking around myself, I've found that changing the profile to ecomorph causes a lot of these error messages to appear. The desktop or laptop profile don't seem to generate them except on switching back to these profiles from ecomorph, and that is one time only. Enabling "ecomorph" in the module settings under system gets rid of most of the messages, but two still pop up, one for conf_startup and conf_profiles, even after the ecomorph module is enabled.
I imagine some other users may have had this occur, and wonder if anyone has solved the situation, other than just temporarily by clicking "yes". If so, how? If anyone has any insight into this, or even suggestions, it would be much appreciated. I am OK clicking away a couple of messages just on my own laptop, but I need help presenting Bodhi as the elegant OS it can be.
Thanks
Ken DeW

A big thank you to everyone who contributes to Bodhi Linux

#2 kendew

kendew

• Members
  • 177 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 10:31 PM

Just to update for anyone else who might be interested in this, present or future, I found some hints from the article
My link .
Following up the hints, I no longer see error messages when activating or de-activating ecomorph. There are some other little quirks I'm not comfortable with, but am working on them.
Anyone interested who wants to offer hints, suggestions, experience or insights is welcome.
Ken DeW

#3 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12493 posts
  • LocationBloomington, IL

Posted 17 May 2011 - 11:08 PM

Once you click away these messages by hitting "yes" a whole bunch of times they will not occur again unless you switch profiles.

The only way to prevent them all together is to

a.) don't upgrade your E packages
b.) remove all the old profiles and create fresh ones with the new settings

Hopefully we are done seeing these messages. I am actually in the process of rebuilding all the profiles for the 1.1.0 release. These updated ones will no longer throw this message, hope to have them done by the weekend.

~Jeff

#4 kendew

kendew

• Members
  • 177 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 11:30 PM

I am actually in the process of rebuilding all the profiles for the 1.1.0 release. These updated ones will no longer throw this message, hope to have them done by the weekend.

~Jeff

I'm really glad you are on this, Jeff, and look forward to the updates.
Ken

#5 kendew

kendew

• Members
  • 177 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 02:58 AM

Continuing with this, I have things so no "error loading module" error messages appear using laptop or ecomorph profiles. However, choosing the "fancy" profile elicits a dozen or so error messages. I've never selected the "fancy" profile before. Does anyone use this profile, know what it does, which modules need to be enabled to make it work? Can't find much on it.
Ken

#6 jschall

jschall

Gold Member

• Members
  • 908 posts
  • LocationMont Saint Hilaire, QC

Posted 18 May 2011 - 01:27 PM

It seems to me that the best way to minimize the occurrence of those error messages is to not muck around with ecomorph and profiles. The only time I see those error messages is when there is an Enlightenment upgrade affecting a number of e-modules, and that is an acceptably rare inconvenience.

I may be wrong, but the only purpose for the profiles is to provide a quick setup at installation time. Even choosing the "Bare" profile, I can set up my desktop and shelves however I want. And ecomorph uses resources on my teeny netbook that I can't afford just to have some eye-candy.

Just my deux sous...
the other Jeff
----------------------------
eeePC 701 4G Bodhi Forum Members Map

#7 kendew

kendew

• Members
  • 177 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 06:06 PM

Jeff S., thank you. As for myself, I like fiddling with operating systems, but am usually too busy using them. However, since starting this project , I find I have to fiddle now, and understand the workings of Bodhi. We have 10 to 15 users now on three computers using Bodhi, and I'm not there to watch what they do, but when something they don't understand happens, I am the one who gets asked. So suddenly I'm seeing things I never saw on my own Bodhi laptop!
I figured out how to tweak it so there are no error messages in ecomorph. But then, I wondered, why would these users, who don't know what linux is, choose ecomorph??? Now I get it! The word "fancy" is very appealing! I never tried it on my own system, but when I did, it threw out error messages like crazy.
Your statement that these effects use a lot of cpu and ram power is helpful, and I'm going to watch it. I don't suppose there is anyway to just disable the "fancy" profile as an option for set-up?
I think because we have many users constantly logging in and out for some reason we are seeing these error messages more than you. They are not a rare occurrence. Your suggestion about starting with a "bare" profile and taking it from there appeals to me. I will explore it. For myself I find an aesthetic desktop environment that doesn't distract or strain the eyes is important. Especially for graphic work, surrounding colors and shapes can have an influence, so I want to provide each user with that option. Hopefully what Jeff has said about these messages disappearing with updates he is preparing will prove true, because we've put Bodhi through pretty rigorous use here and, except for this small problem, it's working out great.
Ken

#8 mnemonict

mnemonict

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 09:39 AM

Once you click away these messages by hitting "yes" a whole bunch of times they will not occur again unless you switch profiles.

The only way to prevent them all together is to

a.) don't upgrade your E packages
b.) remove all the old profiles and create fresh ones with the new settings

Hopefully we are done seeing these messages. I am actually in the process of rebuilding all the profiles for the 1.1.0 release. These updated ones will no longer throw this message, hope to have them done by the weekend.

~Jeff

But Im just already upgrade it....
Now I can not switch from notebook profile to fancy / desktop profile.

#9 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12493 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 05:07 PM

Now I can not switch from notebook profile to fancy / desktop profile.

That was a result of some module merging. Load the Settings module Dialogs

And it will sort the issue.

~Jeff

#10 mnemonict

mnemonict

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 05:12 PM

That was a result of some module merging. Load the Settings module Dialogs

And it will sort the issue.

~Jeff

Sorry late reply cuz so many assignments....
WoW!!!! Thats works,,, thanks jeff...

#11 kendew

kendew

• Members
  • 177 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 10:08 PM

Well, it's been awhile, over a month, 1.1.0 has long been out, so I'm wondering if there has been any progress on this issue. I still notice when a new user first logs in and chooses the Bare profile, a lot of these error messages are generated.
It was suggested in this thread that old profiles could be removed. Actually I would like to remove all or most of the profiles from the list that appears on first login and have the new user just build their own desktop from scratch. Is there a way to do this?

Ken DeW

#12 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12493 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 11:42 PM

Kendew,

This issue was resolved via updates in the Bodhi repo (make sure all your packages are up to date). Even before the update though you only need to click "yes" a whole bunch of times once and you will never see the messages again.

As for having them start with little to nothing... That would require placing config files for a fairly empty profile into your share enlightenment configurations.

~Jeff

#13 kendew

kendew

• Members
  • 177 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 02:46 AM

@ Jeff,

Yes, I heard it would be resolved, so was surprised to see this problem. Especially since, as I stated, I used the bare profile, where I didn't expect to need all those modules.
I have been constantly updating and upgrading through sudo apt-get. What else can I do to be sure that my packages are indeed up to date and properly installed?

Ken

#14 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12493 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 05:28 PM

Huh, maybe I forgot to update the bare profile - will check it later this week when I get time.

As I said though it is a low priority as it is a one time error message a user will never see again.

~Jeff

#15 kendew

kendew

• Members
  • 177 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 08:53 PM

Many thanks to you Jeff, as always, for your speedy replies, even to a matter you consider low priority. I hope you don't mind my taking a moment to explain why I think this is important for me, and, I think, for Bodhi too. Really, all you have to do is ixquick or google the phrase "power of first impressions" and I think the results you'll get will make my point for me. Fair or not, like it or not, we humans seem hard wired to place great emphasis on first impressions.
For me, my first impression with bodhi was positive. I immediately liked it, even way before it was on distrowatch. Since my interest has been using bodhi in the practical world, I've introduced bodhi to quite a number of people. But I have to tell you these error messages make it hard for me to give a good first impression. It's because they don't appear somewhere down the road. They are a first impression. Right after users are logged in for the first time they are asked to choose a profile. If they choose bare and get numerous error messages that have no meaning for them, the chance for a positive first impression is gone. From then on they are wary.
Anyway, I don't think your time will be at all wasted by ensuring that first time users have a good first impression and positive user experience of this operating system you have worked so hard on.
Ken DeW

#16 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12493 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 10:20 PM

I know exactly what you mean - at the same time though "bare" is marked as for advanced users only.

Also did you install Bodhi from 1.1.0 or from an older install? I just booted a 1.1.0 live CD and get zero error popups when I select the bare profile for the live session.

~Jeff

#17 kendew

kendew

• Members
  • 177 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 12:30 AM

We were interested in bare because of low system resources. I originally installed from 0.1.7. Once a week or so have been updating through apt-get.
Ken

#18 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12493 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 03:26 AM

Grab a 1.1.0 CD and copy the contents of the /usr/share/enlightenment/data/config files to the same location on your driver. Then make sure to set the permissions on the copied folder after moving to all users on the system can read them (chmod 666 does it I believe)

~Jeff

#19 kendew

kendew

• Members
  • 177 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 05:49 AM

How can I access these files from the CD or ISO?
Thanks.

#20 Matt

Matt

• Members
  • 183 posts
  • LocationFlorida, USA

Posted 07 July 2011 - 12:15 PM

How can I access these files from the CD or ISO?
Thanks.

I think you should be able to boot 1.1 as a live CD, and it should automount your installed bodhi partition (under /media i think). You can then copy them over.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users