• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 creole_cat

creole_cat

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 November 2015 - 05:44 PM

Hello All,

I am posting this running Bodhi 3.1.0 Legacy on a IBM Thinkpad T42. I had initially installed this last week-end and was not able to get the wireless to work, which is the Intel 2200bg card in this laptop.

I got annoyed and moved on trying different distros, but there are not many that support this older hardware any more. I was going to put XP back on it, but the drivers won't install for some reason. Oh, well who cares.

So, I went back to Bodhi this week-end, Halloween 2015. I am so very glad that I did, what an awesome distribution to run on this machine. 

This time, I started out by doing the updates and then installed the Ubuntu Restricted Extra Packages: sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras, then installed the Bodhi On-Line Media packages: sudo apt-get install bodhi-online-media. Not real sure of the benefits these packages provide, but next thing was to get the wireless working. (Some pet-peeve of mine.)

Following some on-line entries, we did: lspci -nnk | grep -i net, to get: Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 2200BG [Calexico2] Network Connection information. Then ran this:  rfkill list all. Then installed this package: sudo apt-get install rfkill. Rebooted the machine and turned on the wireless with Fn-F5. I was then able to see my router and it connected upon entering my password. Works great!

I have since installed a few other items, Synaptic, Chromium, UFW, and the beautiful Forum-Moksha theme, looks like autumn and pumpkins. Also, the Faenza icon set, and probably some stuff already forgotten.

It took a little looking through the forums to figure out how to get my quick launch icons into the ibar, but that is pretty easy, once you find it. I also want to say the Bodhi App Center is about as cool as it gets, wonderful job!!! Thanks Jeff and other developers for this distro, Keep it Going!!!

A big thank you to everyone who contributes to Bodhi Linux

#2 Charles@Bodhi

Charles@Bodhi

Old Faithful

• Moderators
  • 4567 posts
  • LocationZeist, The Netherlands

Posted 01 November 2015 - 09:27 PM

Hey and welcome to the forums.

Thanks for the positive feedback, exactly the kind of thing that motivates staff to work hard to make it even better for the future.

Enjoy,

Charles

#3 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12501 posts
  • LocationBloomington, IL

Posted 01 November 2015 - 09:39 PM

Just wanted to second what Charles already said. Welcome to the boards mate.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Thinkpad T42, Legacy, Non-PAE, Intel 2200bg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users