Photo

EFL build errors under Debian, after following Debian install guide

efl build debian

Best Answer Fusion809, 11 November 2015 - 04:59 PM

It is finished. I followed your guide, just with the adjustments I just mentioned relating to dependencies (plus I used 1.15.2 version of elementary, to be on the safe side) and the install went smoothly. Now it is built it is working fine with themes, modules and desktop background loading fine from what I can tell thus far. Here's a screenshot of its desktop, to demonstrate how normal it looks.

Mto9deI.png Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Fusion809

Fusion809

• Members
  • 104 posts
  • LocationTownsville, Australia

Posted 11 November 2015 - 02:31 PM

Hi,

On a Debian 8.2 VirtualBox VM I followed Jeff's build instructions to the letter. This gave an error, however, at the stage of making (running make) EFL 1.15.1. Here's the output and the error from make. Something tells me that this is a missing dependency issue, although I do not know which dependency is missing.

Thanks for your time,
Brenton

A big thank you to everyone who contributes to Bodhi Linux

#2 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12549 posts
  • LocationBloomington, IL

Posted 11 November 2015 - 02:55 PM

Can't reproduce this in my Debian VM. Maybe ask the EFL folks upstream as that is their code base still.

#3 Fusion809

Fusion809

• Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 11 November 2015 - 04:17 PM

A Google Search on installing EFL under Debian gave this result and I ran the dependency-installing commands, namely:

sudo aptitude install \
        make gcc bison flex gawk subversion automake autoconf doxygen\
        check autotools-dev autoconf-archive autopoint libtool gettext \
        libpam0g-dev libfreetype6-dev libpng12-dev zlib1g-dev  libjpeg-dev\
        libdbus-1-dev luajit libluajit-5.1-dev libx11-dev libxcursor-dev\
        libxrender-dev libxrandr-dev libxfixes-dev libxdamage-dev\
        libxcomposite-dev libxss-dev libxp-dev libxext-dev libxinerama-dev
sudo aptitude install \
        libxkbfile-dev libxtst-dev libxcb1-dev libxcb-shape0-dev\
        libxcb-keysyms1-dev libpulse-dev libsndfile1-dev  libudev-dev\
        libblkid-dev libmount-dev libgstreamer1.0-dev libtiff5-dev libgif-dev\
        curl libssl-dev libspectre-dev libpoppler-dev librsvg2-dev\
        libraw-dev libxinerama-dev git libfribidi-dev libcogl-gles2-dev\
        libbullet-dev libgstreamer-plugins-base1.0-dev libvlc-dev
re-ran (which I will henceforth call the trinity):

./configure --prefix=/usr && make && sudo make install
and received the same build error. Then I decided to get the latest efl source (1.15.2, it's only a bug fix release difference from 1.15.1) and re-ran the trinity and got no build errors.

#4 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12549 posts

Posted 11 November 2015 - 04:19 PM

Are any of these dependencies missing from the dependency list on my tutorial page?

#5 Fusion809

Fusion809

• Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 11 November 2015 - 04:20 PM

A few would have been, as when I ran the aptitude command a few extra programs were installed. Sorry, I didn't save a list of them, however.

#6 Fusion809

Fusion809

• Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 11 November 2015 - 04:31 PM

A minor note, on your tutorial too, is that you can minimize the bandwidth spent installing Moksha and its dependencies by switching the .tar.gz file extensions for elementary, e_dbus, efl and evas_generic_loaders source code archives to .tar.xz as these xzipped archives are a little smaller and hence make the download stage take less time and use up less bandwidth. After changing file extensions from .tar.gz to .tar.xz, all ya have to do is adjust tar -xzvf to tar -xJf at the decompression stage.

#7 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12549 posts

Posted 11 November 2015 - 04:35 PM

Its a trade off - those files take longer to extract on older systems.

#8 Fusion809

Fusion809

• Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 11 November 2015 - 04:37 PM

Ah, I didn't know that. I know for me, on my fairly new computer, there's no noticeable time difference between decompressing xzipped archives and gzipped archives.

#9 Fusion809

Fusion809

• Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 11 November 2015 - 04:59 PM   Best Answer

It is finished. I followed your guide, just with the adjustments I just mentioned relating to dependencies (plus I used 1.15.2 version of elementary, to be on the safe side) and the install went smoothly. Now it is built it is working fine with themes, modules and desktop background loading fine from what I can tell thus far. Here's a screenshot of its desktop, to demonstrate how normal it looks.

Mto9deI.png

#10 Randy

Randy

Bodhi-Care

• Members
  • 650 posts
  • LocationFort Wayne, IN USA

Posted 12 November 2015 - 12:40 AM

Have you gotten ecomporph running on it? Ecomorph/ecomp crashes whenever I close a program on debian testing.

Randy Fry

Linux Addict!

#11 Fusion809

Fusion809

• Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 12 November 2015 - 07:55 PM

No I haven't, I'm giving it a try though. How did ya install Compiz? It isn't in Jessie's repositories, the only repo it is in is the squeeze (outdated) repos and the version is so ancient that it conflicts with every GNOME component. I have downloaded the source code and started an attempt at installing from source code manually.

#12 Randy

Randy

Bodhi-Care

• Members
  • 650 posts
  • LocationFort Wayne, IN USA

Posted 12 November 2015 - 10:52 PM

I thought ecomp is a  version of compiz formatted to work with enlightenment. I didn't install compiz. I just compiled ecomp and ecomorph. Didn't realize I needed compiz. Maybe that's my problem. But I get effects(scaling and rotating cube), Ecomp just crashes when I close any window.

Randy Fry

Linux Addict!

#13 Fusion809

Fusion809

• Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 12 November 2015 - 11:35 PM

Oops nah you're right and I'm wrong. Although now I'm getting the same build error with ecomp as I get under Arch and Sabayon (see issue #2).

#14 Fusion809

Fusion809

• Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 13 November 2015 - 12:32 AM

I just tried downloading the deb packages for ecomp and ecomorph under AMD64 Bodhi, extracting their contents and moving their precompiled components to their appropriate location on my Debian VM and this is the screen I'm caught at when I log into a Moksha - ecomorph session via LightDM:

NAM7pI3.png

#15 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12549 posts

Posted 13 November 2015 - 12:59 AM

Sadly I don't have time to learn the ecomorph code base right now to try and debug the issues you guys are having. Works as expected on Bodhi. If anyone figured out a fix feel free to submit a patch.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: efl, build, debian

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users