36 replies to this topic

#1 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12538 posts
  • LocationBloomington, IL

Posted 24 November 2015 - 02:05 AM

Just added an early copy of a new file manager being written in elementary to the Bodhi repos:

RXdTsr9.png

You can install it with the command:

sudo apt-get install jesus

Please note this is not a piece of software being created by the Bodhi team. You should report any issues you find with it on the project's github page -> https://github.com/m...ollerbach/jesus

A big thank you to everyone who contributes to Bodhi Linux

#2 The waiter

The waiter

Module Master

• Developer
  • 1670 posts
  • LocationBanska Bystrica, Slovakia

Posted 24 November 2015 - 08:36 AM

Are there any improvements in compare with default EFM ? AFAIK there was missing running with sudo (I will check it personally when I get home from work) . 

#3 The waiter

The waiter

Module Master

• Developer
  • 1670 posts

Posted 24 November 2015 - 04:58 PM

OK, a little review after some minutes of using. At first I had problem how to run this app. After a while "efm" did that trick.

pros:

running with sudo is possible

trash is available

trash is possible to open from the trash module gadget (after my small code modification)

possible to open from places gadget

bookmarks

pictures preview

cons:

it crashed twice within 5 minutes of using :(

unable to add it to favorites menu or ibar 

picture preview sometimes works sometimes not

Resume:

By all means worth trying. What a pity of frequent crashing. If not, I would recommend it as default lightweight FM for Bodhi. I believe some more users will give a try and maybe we can ask authors for solving some issues. Nevertheless it is a very new project. 

#4 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12538 posts

Posted 24 November 2015 - 10:52 PM

If you can reproduce a crash on command be sure to file a bug report on the github page I linked above. Help this guy improve so we can use it :)

#5 Randy

Randy

Bodhi-Care

• Members
  • 650 posts
  • LocationFort Wayne, IN USA

Posted 25 November 2015 - 10:22 AM

Not bad for a very basic file manager.

But I couldn't find an option to change basic file permissions. However, it did not crash for me. 

I could see it as a default file manager for Bodhi.

But, I personally would install Pcmanfm anyway, as I like having a "send to" right click option which I add via folder actions. Plus I like having the graphical ability to change file permissions.

edit: Let me change my above statement to  "I could see it in the future as a file manager for Bodhi, if the developer can get some of the bugs out".

Randy Fry

Linux Addict!

#6 Kev

Kev

An Aged Technophile

• Members
  • 324 posts
  • LocationMichigan USA

Posted 25 November 2015 - 10:30 AM

I played with it for about 10 minutes or so and no crashes for me either.  On the picture issue it seems it gets hung up creating a cache or whatever.  if I have a set of pictures 1.jpg through 10.jpg and I click on one the wheel spins if I click off on 2.jpg I see a thumbnail and when I click back on 1.jpg I see the thumbnail now for 1.jpg.  It may be a little slow on building up the cache/thumbnails whatever... but clicking off the image file then back onto it seems to being up a thumbnail preview.

I like being able to set the icon size and as Randy mentioned I was unable to find a way to change permissions also.

Another thing is it does not retain user settings.  I like a list view not grid/icon view.   I had to keep resetting the folder to list.  When I get a chance I will enter this as a bug on the github page.

- Kevin

#7 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12538 posts

Posted 25 November 2015 - 01:40 PM

There should be an icon size option in the right click context menu.

#8 eric52

eric52

• Members
  • 35 posts
  • LocationSouthbury CT

Posted 25 November 2015 - 05:26 PM

"No runtime exceptions" will only crash if invoked? I guess we'll have to keep on waiting.

Today only. Anger not. Worry not. Be grateful working karma. Be kind.

#9 The waiter

The waiter

Module Master

• Developer
  • 1670 posts

Posted 25 November 2015 - 08:06 PM

I have to call off my cons item about no possibility to add efm to favourite and ibar menu. It is possible. I am confused and I have to say there must have been something bad with my notebook. No crashes as well so far. Good news...

Anyway, do you have the same problem in "list view" with arrow keys? They don't behave as expected...

One more: for me is a little bit annoying that hint over folder or file.

#10 Charles@Bodhi

Charles@Bodhi

Old Faithful

• Moderators
  • 4628 posts
  • LocationZeist, The Netherlands

Posted 25 November 2015 - 08:57 PM

//

Anyway, do you have the same problem in "list view" with arrow keys? There don't behave as expected...

One more: for me is a little bit annoying that hint over folder or file.

Yep, up/down arrows bring you to first item in the list. In icon view they behave as expected.

And indeed those view settings are not sticky, it defaults to icon view. 

Slow thumbnailing only happened the first time, matter of building an index I think.

I wanted to create a new folder, but then it segfaulted. Restarting showed the folder was created anyway. Annoying is that it shows that with a defaullt name "new directory" and does not offer to rename it at creation time. Right clicking on a folder and choosing rename gives a surprising result when you type the new name and you had not explicitly selected that folder before. 

Did someone test move operations and dragging files over? I could not manage to do so, though a copy/paste from one folder to another succeeded.

Enjoy,

Charles.

#11 The waiter

The waiter

Module Master

• Developer
  • 1670 posts

Posted 25 November 2015 - 09:48 PM

Yes, copy and paste works. Although there is no progress bar or other indicator to show something is happening.

I have tested dragging and it does not work at all here. 

I am even able to write text on up directories tabs. There is sometimes no arrow cursor but cursor for adding text. Weird...

#12 bu5hm4n

bu5hm4n

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 26 November 2015 - 09:29 AM

Hi,

I decided to register me here so I can answer a few questions directly.

I know the issue in the list view. The problem is I just have limited time, so I decided to make "one view" perfect at first to have something you can work with. Then I work down the list of bugs I want to fix.

To the slow thumbnailing, I use elementary widgets for doing that, in the end its a call to ethumb. I never digged into it directly, but its even here on a fast SSD that ethumb is very slow or does not thumbnail at all. I think I will have to look deeper into it.

For the case of some segfaults its very usefull if you could provide some backtraces, if the crash would be reproducable for me I would have fixed it yet :), I use jesus daily so I think I would have get a Problem.

At some point I want to add a popup which asks for the name if you want to create a directory. This popup can then also be used as "Error showing" platform.

And there is progress monitoring, in the upper right corner you can see a little icon, click on it after you have copyed something, its like "Downloads" in ff.

@The waiter
What exactly do you mean with hint above folder/file ?
Also can you specify what exactly you are doing in the last sentence you wrote ? What do you mean with directories tabs ?

#13 The waiter

The waiter

Module Master

• Developer
  • 1670 posts

Posted 26 November 2015 - 12:28 PM

OK, I will make some screenshots when I get home.

Thanx for answering on the forum. This is a good way to make your FM great :)

• Kev likes this

#14 Kev

Kev

An Aged Technophile

• Members
  • 324 posts
  • LocationMichigan USA

Posted 26 November 2015 - 12:38 PM

Hi,

I know the issue in the list view. The problem is I just have limited time, so I decided to make "one view" perfect at first to have something you can work with. Then I work down the list of bugs I want to fix.

To the slow thumbnailing, I use elementary widgets for doing that, in the end its a call to ethumb. I never digged into it directly, but its even here on a fast SSD that ethumb is very slow or does not thumbnail at all. I think I will have to look deeper into it.

For the case of some segfaults its very usefull if you could provide some backtraces, if the crash would be reproducable for me I would have fixed it yet :), I use jesus daily so I think I would have get a Problem.

At some point I want to add a popup which asks for the name if you want to create a directory. This popup can then also be used as "Error showing" platform.

And there is progress monitoring, in the upper right corner you can see a little icon, click on it after you have copyed something, its like "Downloads" in ff.

@The waiter
What exactly do you mean with hint above folder/file ?
Also can you specify what exactly you are doing in the last sentence you wrote ? What do you mean with directories tabs ?

LOL barely put in a bug report and you have worked on it!  Nice :)  Thanks!

- Kevin

#15 Randy

Randy

Bodhi-Care

• Members
  • 650 posts
  • LocationFort Wayne, IN USA

Posted 26 November 2015 - 12:58 PM

Hi,

This is great! Can I request a feature for down the road? ( I know you are busy now working on improvements, bugs and  segfaults)

Would it be possible to add a feature where you could add scripts, or a command, to the right click context menu to send files to other programs? (Similiar to pcmanfm's and Nautilus's actions)

Randy Fry

Linux Addict!

#16 bu5hm4n

bu5hm4n

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 26 November 2015 - 01:10 PM

Yeah, there are short fixes which dont take that much time :)

I think its better to add feature requests in a ticket, the chance that I will forget them is not that high then. I am still waiting for some things to happen, but after that it should be possible to mod jesus with lua as much as you like. But this depends on upstream works on elua, where I have to wait to get it out of beta.

#17 The waiter

The waiter

Module Master

• Developer
  • 1670 posts

Posted 26 November 2015 - 01:57 PM

Just a curiosity. Can you tell me a story about FM name? :)

#18 bu5hm4n

bu5hm4n

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 26 November 2015 - 02:45 PM

The initial version was written at 24.12.2014.

#19 The waiter

The waiter

Module Master

• Developer
  • 1670 posts

Posted 26 November 2015 - 04:56 PM

Here is the screenshot.

There is a place above files and folders. I expect I can write a folder path there but after writing and pressing enter nothing happens.

Secondly, there is a bubble hint above file or folder with its name. Maybe you intended to show it when file name is too long to show on grid. Anyway, it sometimes works, sometimes not and more, that font outline makes the text hard for reading.

http://i.imgur.com/igsWvB3.jpg

#20 Charles@Bodhi

Charles@Bodhi

Old Faithful

• Moderators
  • 4628 posts
  • LocationZeist, The Netherlands

Posted 26 November 2015 - 07:16 PM

I selected the Pictures folder by right-clicking and then chose rename. See screenshot for the unexpected result when typing.

PPNtNvm.jpg

The black box stayed till I left the home-folder.

Enjoy,

Charles.

PS. Welcome to the forums.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users