16 replies to this topic

#1 sandrod

sandrod

• Members
  • 20 posts
  • LocationToronto, Ontario Canada

Posted 09 January 2016 - 04:56 AM

hi,

I just installed bodhi on my work netbook as a dual boot with win 7 starter.

we have network printers.

in win 7 I have connected to a few of these printer and they work.

how do I connect to network printers in bodhi?

I am connected to the company network for internet and e-mail. both wirelessly.

Can anyone offer help?

I would greatly appreciate it, i am also novice, so step by step would help.

I can install programs in terminal, sudo apt-get install_____, but just a beginer.

A big thank you to everyone who contributes to Bodhi Linux

#2 birdmun

birdmun

• Members
  • 409 posts
  • LocationWabash, IN

Posted 09 January 2016 - 05:55 AM

I would imagine CUPS would be a good start, but, it really depends on the printers. There are a number of printers that have really good support under linux, and then, there are those few that are absolute rubbish. I believe Lexmark is high on the list of crap with respect to linux and printing, things may have changed since I last looked. HPs work best, if at all, with their own downloadable driver.

#3 graywizardlinux

graywizardlinux

Bodhi Supporter

• Members
  • 1075 posts

Posted 10 January 2016 - 12:26 PM

my wife's Hp printer fax scanner works great and it found itself on my 2 thinkpads.  The canon pixma ip1800 in my office was useless to get going with linux.  

#4 sandrod

sandrod

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 06:13 AM

Hi so i imagine "cups" is an app?  i will look it up.

from the above i am hooked up wirelessly to the company network for internet and

e-mail. i am using evolution and got it working great.

my first question is how do I find network printers on wireless network?

Running win 7, on the netbook, I can go to the network icon and see a printer, one is B&W lazer by kyocera the other one colour by Konica minolta (C 280) , then I choose add network printer, set up hjappens and it works as we have the drivers.

so how do i go to ( access the company network wirelessly, and "add" a network printer?

I also have bodhi V2 runing at home on an old acer, dual boot with win XP. I plugged in the printer first time in USB port of laptop  ( epson CX7800 i think) to print a document in libre office.  I was connected to internet.  bodhi identified the printer and printed the document. i did not install a driver. simple scan also worked.

wow that is amazing. I am guessing bodhi magicaly got printer driver from internet and installed it, or since laptop also runs XP and had driver installed for printer running win XP , bodhi searched C: and found printer driver and installed it to use printer.

at my work these are larger printers, but fairly new.  when I tried to print a document  using bodhi in libre office 5, no printer ( network printer ) was identified, so my option was to print to file.

thanks for any help you can provide.

#5 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12517 posts
  • LocationBloomington, IL

Posted 12 January 2016 - 02:41 PM

Hey there,

Just wanted to confirm which Bodhi version you are using - the 2.4 branch or the latest 3.1.1 branch? Just asking because you posted in the Bodhi 2 support section.

If you are using the latest version of Bodhi you can install a GUI for finding printers (local and network) from here -> http://www.bodhilinu...rinter-support/ (note you will need to open that URL in Midori to utilize the "install" button).

Cheers

#6 sandrod

sandrod

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 26 January 2016 - 04:41 AM

Hi Jeff, i was sure it was 2.4 ,hence i posted it here, but I will verify version and reply.

#7 sandrod

sandrod

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 18 March 2016 - 04:55 AM

Hi Jeff, bcuz Netbook only has 1 GB of RAM installed 2.4

I was successfull connecting to internet and E-mail

So last thing is finding other computers on network and printers on network. I also have Ubuntu laptop I use at home, it has system, printers in GUI, so it was easy to find network printer at home wifi. And connet.

I installed cups (using terminal ) in bodhi, but DOn't know what to do next.
I did not c system printer.

Thanks 4 your help.

#8 Randy

Randy

Bodhi-Care

• Members
  • 649 posts
  • LocationFort Wayne, IN USA

Posted 18 March 2016 - 09:19 AM

If you are using the latest version of Bodhi you can install a GUI for finding printers (local and network) from here -> http://www.bodhilinu...rinter-support/ (note you will need to open that URL in Midori to utilize the "install" button).

Cheers

You'll need to do what Jeff suggests above. The package you need is gnome-system-config-printer I believe.

Randy Fry

Linux Addict!

#9 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12517 posts

Posted 18 March 2016 - 03:34 PM

The Bodhi 3 branch will run / install just fine on a system with the specs you listed. If you are setting up new installs you should be using Bodhi 3.x at this point - Bodhi 2.4 will reach end of life / support in 12 months at this point. Bodhi 3.x will be supported for three years still.

#10 sandrod

sandrod

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 18 March 2016 - 06:18 PM

ok thanks, so how do I upgrade to bodhi 3?   this way i can keep all my current data and setttings, opposed to doing a new install and starting from scratch.

Then I  will install a GUI for finding printers (local and network)  as  you  and Randy have both suggested?

thanks again for all your help.

#11 graywizardlinux

graywizardlinux

Bodhi Supporter

• Members
  • 1075 posts

Posted 18 March 2016 - 09:15 PM

where in toronto do you live?  i spent a lot of time up and down spadina ave from u of T to queen's quay! esp Qeen's street west area.  and honjin's was it - the sushi place! but that was decades ago. Grew up part-time in ontario way west of toronto on lake Erie.

#12 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12517 posts

Posted 21 March 2016 - 01:32 AM

In order to change major Bodhi versions you need to reinstall with a new release ISO image like you would any new distro.

The link in my very first response in this thread is a GUI tool for finding printers.

#13 sandrod

sandrod

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 22 March 2016 - 08:58 PM

hi jeff,

ok thanks. I  will just keep this version for now it works great. To print  I will E-mail to another computer or re boot in win 7

randy suggested package " gnome-system-config-printer " would this work in 2.4?

also how can I look at ( find ) other computers on the network. since I have internet access and E-mail acccess on this network?

i am using evolution for E-mail, works great.

I am ok to use terminal.

thanks

sandro 

#14 sandrod

sandrod

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 22 March 2016 - 09:01 PM

where in toronto do you live?  i spent a lot of time up and down spadina ave from u of T to queen's quay! esp Qeen'Richmond <hills street west area.  and honjin's was it - the sushi place! but that was decades ago. Grew up part-time in ontario way west of toronto on lake Erie.

hi I live in Richmond Hill about 30 minutes north of toronto. where do you live now?

#15 graywizardlinux

graywizardlinux

Bodhi Supporter

• Members
  • 1075 posts

Posted 23 March 2016 - 01:15 AM

Northern TN.  (not by choice...)

#16 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12517 posts

Posted 23 March 2016 - 02:10 AM

I believe that is the same package name in 2.4 - honestly been awhile though. Try it and see.

If you install samba packages pcmanfm and other modern file managers should let you browse shares.

#17 sandrod

sandrod

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 19 July 2016 - 08:56 PM

hi guys so it got resolved i installed as above and tech at the company helped me configure kyocera ecosys-m2535dn -(KPDL) printer connected to local host and it works. I also installed samba as well.

thanks to everyone for thier help.\

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: printer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users