13 replies to this topic

#1 Randy

Randy

Bodhi-Care

• Members
  • 649 posts
  • LocationFort Wayne, IN USA

Posted 09 January 2016 - 02:49 PM

I might have found a bug in esudo, I did a fresh install of Bodhi 3.1 and used a password that ends in symbols. It logs in fine.

When I use the password with esudo, I get "Wrong password try again" message.

But if I run the same program from the command line using sudo It runs as expected. I tried this with several programs and had the same result.

I then changed the password to one with no symbols and esudo works as expected.

Can anyone else verify?

Randy Fry

Linux Addict!

A big thank you to everyone who contributes to Bodhi Linux

#2 Charles@Bodhi

Charles@Bodhi

Old Faithful

• Moderators
  • 4608 posts
  • LocationZeist, The Netherlands

Posted 09 January 2016 - 03:29 PM

Changed password in a VM, now ending in %$#@

Using the menu I opened esudo, gave command epad, entered password and it allowed me to create a file and save it with root as owner, so that definitely worked.

Enjoy,

Charles

#3 Randy

Randy

Bodhi-Care

• Members
  • 649 posts

Posted 09 January 2016 - 11:01 PM

@charles     I changed the password back it ends in &# . This password again isn't allowed. I then changed it using different symbols and Like yours it worked.  I guess it doesn't like them ending with &#.

Randy Fry

Linux Addict!

#4 Charles@Bodhi

Charles@Bodhi

Old Faithful

• Moderators
  • 4608 posts
  • LocationZeist, The Netherlands

Posted 10 January 2016 - 10:15 AM

Possible, should passwd command not give a warning about that when it is an UNIX condition?

I know it refuses short passwords. But the culprit might be esudo after all. Don't know how Jeff coded that.

Enjoy,

Charles.

#5 The waiter

The waiter

Module Master

• Developer
  • 1655 posts
  • LocationBanska Bystrica, Slovakia

Posted 10 January 2016 - 10:40 AM

As far as I know, Jeff knows this bug. It was already mentioned on the forum. I believe he will fix it if time allows.

#6 hippytaff

hippytaff

• Members
  • 1269 posts
  • LocationWales, UK

Posted 10 January 2016 - 01:22 PM

For future reference, bug report from the esudo github repo has this "esudo prohibits, at the very least, characters from the set "!@#$%^&*(). Likely due to how python handles strings. Will need to look into a proper fix at some point." :)

https://github.com/J.../esudo/issues/2

Hippytaff - Trying to understand stuff since 1979

#7 Randy

Randy

Bodhi-Care

• Members
  • 649 posts

Posted 10 January 2016 - 03:35 PM

For future reference, bug report from the esudo github repo has this "esudo prohibits, at the very least, characters from the set "!@#$%^&*(). Likely due to how python handles strings. Will need to look into a proper fix at some point." :)

Thats funny cause it accepted at least 3 of them in Charles Password. And I'm still using one of them in mine.

edit: Heck that's the entire top row. Well some of them work.

Randy Fry

Linux Addict!

#8 hippytaff

hippytaff

• Members
  • 1269 posts
  • LocationWales, UK

Posted 10 January 2016 - 04:13 PM

Thats funny cause it accepted at least 3 of them in Charles Password. And I'm still using one of them in mine.

edit: Heck that's the entire top row. Well some of them work.

Well at least some work :) Identifying which ones do and don't work might be helpful for a possible bug fix. :)

#9 Randy

Randy

Bodhi-Care

• Members
  • 649 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 12:05 AM

Well at least some work :) Identifying which ones do and don't work might be helpful for a possible bug fix. :)

Might not be that simple, as it might depend on the combination.

For Instance Charles password ending in %$#@  worked.

Mine ending in &# did not. So # worked in one but not the other.

I also know that )@ works inside a password. But that's all I know so far. Could take a while to hash that bug out.

Randy Fry

Linux Addict!

#10 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12517 posts
  • LocationBloomington, IL

Posted 11 January 2016 - 02:33 AM

Feel free to add to that bug report with details you figure out and it will be more likely to get resolved. As is this is a pretty low priority bug for Bodhi / me TODO list.

#11 hippytaff

hippytaff

• Members
  • 1269 posts
  • LocationWales, UK

Posted 11 January 2016 - 10:41 AM

Feel free to add to that bug report with details you figure out and it will be more likely to get resolved. As is this is a pretty low priority bug for Bodhi / me TODO list.

I had a look at the code for this over the weekend. It's way above me, but if it's due to how Python parses stuff would it make sense to sed special chars to add escape chars? just a thought. I'm probably way off the mark :/

#12 cholq

cholq

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 February 2016 - 07:44 PM

You can add the "<" character to the list of characters that cause issues in esudo.  That was the only special character in my password, and it wouldn't accept it.  Changed the password to not include that or any of the others in this thread, and esudo worked.

#13 R0b0ter

R0b0ter

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 March 2017 - 01:08 AM

I also had the problem with a password ending up with four characters followed by four digits in the end. No special characters

#14 The waiter

The waiter

Module Master

• Developer
  • 1655 posts
  • LocationBanska Bystrica, Slovakia

Posted 05 March 2017 - 06:51 AM

Hmm. Do you have fully upgraded system? I asked our dev Ylee to solve this issue and it should be done.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users