27 replies to this topic

#1 Fusion809

Fusion809

• Members
  • 104 posts
  • LocationTownsville, Australia

Posted 16 January 2016 - 12:09 AM

Hi,

This thread is not me asking questions, rather it is me providing instructions on how to install Moksha on Arch Linux and derivative platforms (like Antergos, ArchBang, Chakra GNU/Linux, Manjaro Linux, etc.), using the PKGBUILDs I have placed in this GitHub repository. The steps are:

1. Git clone this repository of PKGBUILDs; if you do not have git installed (if you have Yaourt installed, then do not worry git must already be installed) run (as root):
    pacman -S git
    After running this command, or if you already had git installed, run:
    git clone https://github.com/fusion809/PKGBUILDs
    to clone this repository. 
  2. Change into the cloned repository and then change into its moksha subdirectory by running:
    cd PKGBUILDs/moksha
  3. Then run:
    makepkg -si
    to build and then install the Moksha package. 
  4. If you would like to install the community-provided Moksha modules go into their respective subdirectory of the PKGBUILDs repository and run
    makepkg -si
    It is important to note, however, that the emprint module (found in the moksha-modules-emprint-git subdirectory of the PKGBUILDs repository) must be installed before installing the screenshot module. If you would like to install every community-provided Moksha module, change into the moksha-modules-emprint-git subdirectory and run:
    makepkg -si
     and then change into the moksha-modules-extra-git subdirectory and run:
    makepkg -si

For those that just want to copy-paste code, run the following to just install Moksha (run this as standard user, not as root):

sudo pacman -S git --needed --noconfirm
git clone https://github.com/fusion809/PKGBUILDs
cd PKGBUILDs/moksha
makepkg -si --noconfirm

and then run the following to install all the Moksha modules:

cd ../moksha-modules-emprint-git
makepkg -si --noconfirm
cd ../moksha-modules-extra-git
makepkg -si --noconfirm

If you experience any issues, please start a new issue at https://github.com/f...ILDs/issues/new. It is possible (I have tested these PKGBUILDs myself, without any issues) that I may have missed the odd dependency. 

Hope this helps,

Brenton

A big thank you to everyone who contributes to Bodhi Linux

#2 Fusion809

Fusion809

• Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 18 January 2016 - 07:45 PM

Update: I just added Moksha, Moksha Radiance and the Moksha Deskshow module to the AUR. So you can install Moksha on Arch with the command:

yaourt -S moksha

and install the Moksha radiance theme with:

yaourt -S moksha-radiance-theme-git

and install the Moksha deskshow module with:

yaourt -S moksha-module-deskshow-git

EDIT: I've also added the other Moksha modules in the moksha-module-emprint-git and moksha-modules-extra-git packages. To install all the Moksha modules run:

yaourt -S moksha-modules-extra-git

#3 Vaidas

Vaidas

Gravity Sucks

• Moderators
  • 1518 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 08:15 AM

Nice  ^_^

#4 Fusion809

Fusion809

• Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 11:49 PM

Oh and btw I have added an article to the ArchWiki on Moksha, if anyone is interested https://wiki.archlin...ndex.php/Moksha

#5 BALLOON a.k.a. Fu-sen.

BALLOON a.k.a. Fu-sen.

• Members
  • 121 posts
  • LocationJapan

Posted 26 January 2016 - 01:36 AM

I am looking at the Manjaro forum:

https://forum.manjar....php?board=22.0

Because here have users who attempt to build, it would be likely to be generated as any package or Edition.

BALLOON a.k.a. Fu-sen. (ふうせん Fu-sen.) form Japan

菩提 = ぼだい = Bodhi

Bodhi Linux | Linux memo (Japanese) hhttp://installlinux.jimdo.com/linux-%E3%83%A1%E3%83%A2/bodhi-linux/

#6 callipygous

callipygous

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 January 2016 - 04:39 AM

Are there plans to create a pkgbuild for a compositor, such as ecomorph?

#7 Fusion809

Fusion809

• Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 04 March 2016 - 08:29 AM

Sorry for the delay in my reply (most forums I write on I get email notifications for new replies, this one I don't, so I didn't realize there were some). I have had some bad experiences trying to build ecomorph, so I'm afraid no PKGBUILD for it. I don't even know why someone would want a compositor with Moksha, the whole reason I use it is because it is lightweight, adding a compositor, reduces that advantage. 

#8 Fusion809

Fusion809

• Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 05 March 2016 - 05:24 AM

More good news folks, I just created a Moksha package (for Arch Linux), and module packages for all Moksha modules, in my own Open Build Service (OBS) repository here it is. To add this repo, add

[home_fusion809_Arch_Extra]
SigLevel = Never
Server = http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/fusion809/Arch_Extra/$arch

to your /etc/pacman.conf file. Then run:

pacman -Syu

To install moksha run (as root):

pacman -S home_fusion809_Arch_Extra/moksha

to install Moksha and all its modules run:

pacman -S home_fusion809_Arch_Extra/moksha-modules-extra-git

#9 CreekWoo

CreekWoo

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 July 2016 - 08:09 AM

More good news folks, I just created a Moksha package (for Arch Linux), and module packages for all Moksha modules, in my own Open Build Service (OBS) repository here it is. To add this repo, add

SigLevel = Never
Server = http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/fusion809/Arch_Extra/$arch

to your /etc/pacman.conf file. Then run:

pacman -Syu

To install moksha run (as root):

to install Moksha and all its modules run:

pacman -S home_fusion809_Arch_Extra/moksha-modules-extra-git

Awesome Fusion809, everything worked perfectly and I'm all setup, thanks very much.

#10 Kev

Kev

An Aged Technophile

• Members
  • 322 posts
  • LocationMichigan USA

Posted 14 July 2016 - 04:52 PM

Im impressed... I have tried getting Arch linux installed on a VM several times with only a couple successes.   Cool to get Moksha loaded and running!!

- Kevin

#11 aka jazz

aka jazz

• Banned
  • 611 posts

Posted 16 July 2016 - 05:25 PM

Really impressive...to write a complete HOWTO with easy steps for the Arch fan, complete with a wiki write up! Thank you Fusion809 for sharing this! And I happen to agree with your POV to keep it lightweight, nonfat. (besides, let somebody pick up from there, if they wish) Good job all around :D

Screenshots of e17 at the Gallerie des shedied and here for just one only. Incidentally,why don't you try our friendly IRC channel for some help? (link up top) or watch an e-ducational clip that's 2 and a half minutes long

#12 birdmun

birdmun

• Members
  • 251 posts
  • LocationWabash, IN

Posted 15 August 2016 - 11:10 PM

I am playing with Arch in VB. I added the OBS info to /etc/pacman.conf. I got a 404. I noticed you have moved your arch stuff to a different folder; fusion809:. I changed my Server = to http://download.open...rch_Extra/i686/

I am still getting a 404. What am I doing wrong?

#13 birdmun

birdmun

• Members
  • 251 posts
  • LocationWabash, IN

Posted 25 August 2016 - 08:32 AM

With Fusion809's assistance I did finally get the proper Server line for arch.

https://github.com/fusion809/PKGBUILDs/releases/download/current/

#14 kendew

kendew

• Members
  • 177 posts

Posted 14 September 2016 - 02:42 AM

Well, something's changed recently.  The server line above isn't working now.  Also, can't install Moksha now in Arch because the dependency elementary can no longer be found, nor with pacman.  Installed Moksha fine just the other day on a box running Manjaro.

Any updates in the making or workarounds?

#15 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12333 posts
  • LocationBloomington, IL

Posted 14 September 2016 - 03:29 AM

Elementary should be included in the EFL core now - so you shouldn't need it any more.

Also - keep in mind EFL newer than 1.17 are not tested much because of known issues (they cause full desktop lock up for me on the Ubuntu base).

#16 birdmun

birdmun

• Members
  • 251 posts
  • LocationWabash, IN

Posted 15 September 2016 - 02:13 PM

I am not sure what to say. I get a 404 when I try to follow the link in my browser. With the server line above and using yaourt I get offers to update things. I have been manually denying the efl update to 1.18. yaourt is able to download the db file from fusion809's github repo. If you paste the server line to the url bar and then remove /download/current/ the page will load and hovering over a file will include the whole server line from above. fusion809 may not chime in on this thread anytime soon as there are no email updates to let him know there are new posts to the thread.

#17 kozaki

kozaki

• Members
  • 42 posts
  • LocationLondon >.< Paris

Posted 15 September 2016 - 07:29 PM

Cool! Actually even excellent with the nice wiki page and detailed presentation here :)

Now People can easily get an updated and polished enlightened experience on Arch! I have nice memories of the time I did run Arch with e17 on a light desktop, way back in the days.

@Fusion809 did it take you long? What part if I may ask you?

I just realized Bodhi does use less power on my netbook than already super efficient Arch... geez <3

Seeding Bodhi (in gig) v3.2.1: 285 and Legacy: 59; Bodhi 4.0.0alpha2: 12.

#18 kendew

kendew

• Members
  • 177 posts

Posted 15 September 2016 - 08:17 PM

@birdman and anybody

Why do you think you are accessing moksha via fusion809.  You say you are using yaourt.  That accesses AUR which contains moksha.  As of my understanding, and my experience with Arch just begun this year, so still new to it, adding fusion809's server line should make moksha available via pacman, not yaourt.  Yaourt is for AUR.  (See quote below).

Go to https://github.com/fusion809/PKGBUILDs and within PKBUILDs there is no longer any directory called releases that I see.  If I try "yaourt moksha" today I see an old message (March 10):

fusion809 commented on 2016-03-10 09:25

Hey folks, if you don't feel like building the Moksha package from this PKGBUILD and would rather install a pre-built binary, try adding my OBS Arch_Extra repo. Namely, by adding:

SigLevel = Never

to your /etc/pacman.conf file and run (as root):

pacman -Syu

That server location is the same as at the beginning of that post.  Anyway, today I don't see yaourt insisting on elementary as a dependency, so maybe it's working now, as Jeff suggested above.  Actually, I need it for installation on a different computer and after I get a chance to try it, I'll be reporting back.  But unless we get word from fusion809, I wouldn't try that route.  I really think fusion809 is great in providing us with the opportunity to go directly through pacman and am really grateful to him for that, but if things change it would be nice if we were informed.

Kendew

#19 birdmun

birdmun

• Members
  • 251 posts
  • LocationWabash, IN

Posted 16 September 2016 - 03:28 AM

You need to change the server line in pacman.conf It should be

https://github.com/fusion809/PKGBUILDs/releases/download/current/

You are correct that the original post information is outdated. I use yaourt, which is a frontend for pacman as well as giving access to AUR. I am quite new to Arch as well.

Your whole package line is a bit outdated. I am not sure when it changed. It should be

[pkgbuild-current]
Server = https://github.com/fusion809/PKGBUILDs/releases/download/current/
SigLevel = PackageOptional

The above worked for me.

#20 kendew

kendew

• Members
  • 177 posts

Posted 17 September 2016 - 07:04 PM

Sorry birdmun, but that server link just isn't valid.  No need to try through pacman.conf, just put in a browser and see, you get a 404 error, unless you know some magic I don't.  

I tried building moksha through the AUR on a different computer that has Manjaro installed yesterday.  The build failed because the build requires a dependency, elementary, which is no longer there in AUR.  

Jeff has said above that we shouldn't need elementary anymore, and he should know.  One guess is that elementary was removed for this reason but the script to build wasn't updated to accommodate this change.  So elementary is still required but not needed.

I think, birdman, if you are using yaourt you are probably getting moksha from the AUR.  Your elementary dependency had already been satisfied when you originally installed.  Something has changed since then.  I have had no problem updating moksha on machines where it was installed before because the elementary dependency had already been satisfied.    My bet is that if you tried to install moksha on a completely fresh install of either Arch or Manjaro it would fail. Please research was yaourt does.  It goes through the process of building packages.  Basically it's giving you an automated way of building packages Ubuntu seems to lack.  With yaourt you get asked questions about building and offered chances to edit.  Come to think of it, maybe I could edit out the elementary dependency, worth a try to polish my beginner Arch skills.  Worth a try until someone fixes it.

The beauty of what fusion809 did was to offer a repository where we wouldn't need to build package through yaourt.  We could simply install through pacman.  But he must have either moved or removed the packages.

No disrespect intended here.  Just trying to get at the truth and figure out what's going on.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: tutorial, archlinux, manjaro

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users