conky moksha enlightenment e17 e18 e19 e20

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Lawlyet

Lawlyet

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 January 2016 - 07:56 PM

Hello.. I was thinking about Conky and Moksha. Since the beggining, there's been some kind of issues (like transparency, for example). Of course, some of them we are able to find a way, but maybe we are missing some serious cool oportunities. What about forking conky into a Moksha module? Maybe, even putting a way to download instantly conky-moksha's themes and plugins directly from repositories using a conky-moksha gui options menu.. Also, capacitity to use it inside Moksha bars. Something I often use, for instance, is a left big bar to put some eyecandy widgets, like clock. It would be great to have a chance to put a conky inside that bar, having options to use a transparent or a themed bar... Since the beggining, Enlightenment is known for it's great visual capacities... perhaps we should focus a little more on it.. 

What do you guys think? :D 

A big thank you to everyone who contributes to Bodhi Linux

#2 aka jazz

aka jazz

• Banned
  • 611 posts

Posted 31 January 2016 - 10:11 PM

We welcome the first contribution from you towards this idea!

Screenshots of e17 at the Gallerie des shedied and here for just one only. Incidentally,why don't you try our friendly IRC channel for some help? (link up top) or watch an e-ducational clip that's 2 and a half minutes long

#3 hippytaff

hippytaff

• Members
  • 1269 posts
  • LocationWales, UK

Posted 01 February 2016 - 10:41 AM

This sounds like a great idea!

Hippytaff - Trying to understand stuff since 1979

#4 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12328 posts
  • LocationBloomington, IL

Posted 01 February 2016 - 04:02 PM

I am sure this is something people would use if someone wanted to work on it.

#5 The waiter

The waiter

Module Master

• Developer
  • 1428 posts
  • LocationBanska Bystrica, Slovakia

Posted 01 February 2016 - 04:20 PM

Great idea but I doubt there is someone here to make it work. I beg your pardon if I am wrong ;)

#6 Sitting Fox

Sitting Fox

• Team
  • 551 posts

Posted 01 February 2016 - 06:19 PM

Personally, I don't feel the need for a conky module. I don't think conky really conflicts with Moksha, it's just that you need to make sure you have your settings set. Right?

(Though maybe something that helped setup conky in a beginner-friendly way, like fields you could fill in or check off would affect appearances and the like, that might be cool.)

What I would like to see is some pre-set conky for grabs like there used to be in the old art wiki.

I believe I started on a wiki page for setting up conky? I can try to see about finishing that up. :)

Also, capacitity to use it inside Moksha bars. Something I often use, for instance, is a left big bar to put some eyecandy widgets, like clock. It would be great to have a chance to put a conky inside that bar, having options to use a transparent or a themed bar...

I have mentioned before that I would love to have a gadget for the shelves that is a custom fixed-width blank space. You could use it as a separator, or you could have a nice spot to draw conky over.

Anything along those lines, I like. :D Because I would love to be able to custom-up how the clock looks or something.
  • Kev likes this

#7 BALLOON a.k.a. Fu-sen.

BALLOON a.k.a. Fu-sen.

• Members
  • 121 posts
  • LocationJapan

Posted 02 February 2016 - 05:27 AM

Environment in which each required in Conky and Moksha are many things that match, I can understand this opinion.

but if as Moksha (Enlightenment) module, it will need to re-create the full... 

BALLOON a.k.a. Fu-sen. (ふうせん Fu-sen.) form Japan

菩提 = ぼだい = Bodhi

Bodhi Linux | Linux memo (Japanese) hhttp://installlinux.jimdo.com/linux-%E3%83%A1%E3%83%A2/bodhi-linux/

#8 hippytaff

hippytaff

• Members
  • 1269 posts
  • LocationWales, UK

Posted 02 February 2016 - 12:11 PM

I checked out the conky github. The code is written on C+ - not sure how this would affect forking it for moksha.

Hippytaff - Trying to understand stuff since 1979

#9 The waiter

The waiter

Module Master

• Developer
  • 1428 posts
  • LocationBanska Bystrica, Slovakia

Posted 02 February 2016 - 12:43 PM

Some more info:

Making module for E17-E20 or Moksha is based on combination of EFL and C language. It needs a different approach. When I made a module enhancements or additional work, my study was based on skeleton module which is obligatory. Then you need to create your own code structures for your extention.

#10 Sitting Fox

Sitting Fox

• Team
  • 551 posts

Posted 02 February 2016 - 02:56 PM

I don't think any actual forking of Conky needs to be done. You can just have something that deals with and manipulates regular conky setups. Basically, kind of automates what you could do by hand.

I dunno, just feels like overcomplicating things otherwise.

#11 robot774

robot774

• Members
  • 24 posts
  • LocationOlso

Posted 09 December 2016 - 06:35 PM

So, given that almost a year has passed since the start of this thread and no conky-like-module has emerged, I wanted to post my conkyrc file here for three reasons;  

i. The 4.0 release is using v1.10 of conky and that has an updated conkyrc syntax (lua) meaning that with the old syntax an error message  displays on conky startup and also syntax conversion takes place as conky tries to convert the old to the new, and

ii. to see if any of you can help me iron out a couple of config problems. 

iii. I styles conky to use a similar green to the revamped 4.0 Bodhi theme, I used #bad455 (badass!) and gold. So it fits quite nicely with a vanilla 4.0 install, although the bg color doesn't match because of laziness.

Conf prob 1: I can not get transparncy to work. This is not critical, but would  be nice. In another forum thread here, Jeff++ says I need the compositing module, but this module is not listed under modules. I'm thinking it isn't a module in that sense or use of the word 'module'?  The line "own_window_argb_value = 255", well the documentation doesn't make clear to me if 255 is 100% opaque or 0% opaque, but I tried it both ways.  

Conf prob 2: Getting this message "(Not all processes could be identified, non-owned process info

will not be shown, you would have to be root to see it all.)" because of this line in my rc file:

${execi 30 netstat -ept | grep ESTAB | awk '{print $9}' | cut -d: -f1 | sort | uniq -c | sort -nr} 

because for some TCP connections I apparently need to be root, but I don't know how to be root in an rc script (or if I even want to be). At least I think it is that line causing the message, I have observed that not all tcp connections show up in the display when I know that there is more activity than I am seeing. 

Typical output from this line is like:  

4 1609/midori
1 1234/curl

I think logging this "not all processes..." eventually causes conky to fail, because there are no other warnings or errors, and fail it does every time after about 10-20 mins. The "not all processes..." line gets output to terminal repeatedly. Dump from terminal added below. Suggestions on how to debug are welcome.

Not really bug per se, but I'm also getting some flickering when conky updates. Seems to happen when Fortune gets a new quote. Any way to solve that? 

Here is conkyrc with the newer syntax:

Spoiler

Terminal dump from when conky has a shit-fit:  

Spoiler

Do i get an award for longest ever single post on this forum?

#12 Kev

Kev

An Aged Technophile

• Members
  • 321 posts
  • LocationMichigan USA

Posted 14 December 2016 - 07:35 PM

I like conky on my XFCE desktop, but I usually keep my moksha desktop completely clear of anything . ... its either keyboard shortcut or rightclick...

- Kevin

#13 oblio2231

oblio2231

Bodhi Team

• Team
  • 114 posts
  • LocationA desk in the Midwest

Posted 11 January 2017 - 01:31 PM

Hello.. I was thinking about Conky and Moksha. Since the beggining, there's been some kind of issues (like transparency, for example). Of course, some of them we are able to find a way, but maybe we are missing some serious cool oportunities. What about forking conky into a Moksha module? Maybe, even putting a way to download instantly conky-moksha's themes and plugins directly from repositories using a conky-moksha gui options menu.. Also, capacitity to use it inside Moksha bars. Something I often use, for instance, is a left big bar to put some eyecandy widgets, like clock. It would be great to have a chance to put a conky inside that bar, having options to use a transparent or a themed bar... Since the beggining, Enlightenment is known for it's great visual capacities... perhaps we should focus a little more on it.. 

What do you guys think? :D

I didn't know that conky didn't work with Moksha...I was planning on giving it a try - glad this topic exists!

So it sounds like the Mythbusters would call this one "plausible" at most?

Xeon E3-1220 v3 3.1GHz Quad, ASRock Rack E3C224, 2x 8GB Kingston KVR16E11/8I DDR3-1600 ECC CL11 Intel Chips (Dual Channel), EVGA GeForce GTX 570, Samsung SM863 120GB OS SSD, 2x WD RED 3TB HDDs (Raid 0), Focusrite Scarlett 2i4, Antec Earthwatts EA-750 80 Plus Platinum 750w PSU - Bodhi 4.1.0 64

AMD Phenom II X4 940 3.0GHz Quad, Gigabyte GA-MA78GPM-DS2H, 2x 2GB Kingston KHX8500D2K2 DDR2-1066 (Dual Channel), EVGA GeForce GTX 570, Intel 30GB OS SDD, Seagate ST31000340AS 1TB HDD, Seagate STBD4000400 4TB HDD, EVGA 500w Bronze Plus 80+ PSU - Bodhi Linux 3.2.1 64

#14 Charles@Bodhi

Charles@Bodhi

Old Faithful

• Moderators
  • 4314 posts
  • LocationZeist, The Netherlands

Posted 11 January 2017 - 08:47 PM

I didn't know that conky didn't work with Moksha...I was planning on giving it a try - glad this topic exists!

So it sounds like the Mythbusters would call this one "plausible" at most?

True, there is no Conky module, but conky is an application that can be used freely and is present in the ubuntu repos.

Reading the manpages of conky is laborious but has the info about the opacity settings.

But:

Conky for the most of its effects needs a compositor. ATM there is no native compositing module that is working as wanted on BodhiLinux. However a valid alternative is "compton" (in the repos too) that allows for transparency and a more fluid behavior of the desktop. The same conky config that I had in Bodhi 1, 2 and 3 with various E17 versions still provides me lots of info on screen with Moksha.

I'd say, start playing and show us some of the resulting desktops in the desktop topic.

Enjoy,

Charles

Screenshot 2011

5XCWa.png

Screenshot today

UG4VwAw.png

Medion S4216 Ultrabook, 4GB RAM, 1TB HDD, WIN 10 & Bodhi 2.4.0-64 & Bodhi 3.0.0-64 

Asus eeepc 901, 1GB RAM, 12 GB SSD, Bodhi 2.4.0-32 non-pae & Bodhi 3.0.0-32-Legacy

#15 oblio2231

oblio2231

Bodhi Team

• Team
  • 114 posts
  • LocationA desk in the Midwest

Posted 12 January 2017 - 03:20 AM

True, there is no Conky module, but conky is an application that can be used freely and is present in the ubuntu repos.

Reading the manpages of conky is laborious but has the info about the opacity settings.

But:

Conky for the most of its effects needs a compositor. ATM there is no native compositing module that is working as wanted on BodhiLinux. However a valid alternative is "compton" (in the repos too) that allows for transparency and a more fluid behavior of the desktop. The same conky config that I had in Bodhi 1, 2 and 3 with various E17 versions still provides me lots of info on screen with Moksha.

I'd say, start playing and show us some of the resulting desktops in the desktop topic.

Enjoy,

Charles

That is sort of what I thought I gathered from reading some ubuntu forums, tidbits of the manpages, etc...it seems plausible (even more so now!)  I will have to check out compton and start playing around. 

I generally gravitate towards just having an absolute blank desktop...no shelves, no icons and just a black or gray background...however, on my new build, I thought seeing some network usage, memory, CPU/cores, temps, etc could be sweet...but then not really much else.

Our work PCs are configured by our parent company's IT department...all windowz boxes... but they have a blue background with some info...bios rev., java vers., uptime, etc.  Even though it is literally just white text, it got me thinking.

This is so great!  Thank you, Charles!  Those desktops are fantastic - thanks for sharing!

Xeon E3-1220 v3 3.1GHz Quad, ASRock Rack E3C224, 2x 8GB Kingston KVR16E11/8I DDR3-1600 ECC CL11 Intel Chips (Dual Channel), EVGA GeForce GTX 570, Samsung SM863 120GB OS SSD, 2x WD RED 3TB HDDs (Raid 0), Focusrite Scarlett 2i4, Antec Earthwatts EA-750 80 Plus Platinum 750w PSU - Bodhi 4.1.0 64

AMD Phenom II X4 940 3.0GHz Quad, Gigabyte GA-MA78GPM-DS2H, 2x 2GB Kingston KHX8500D2K2 DDR2-1066 (Dual Channel), EVGA GeForce GTX 570, Intel 30GB OS SDD, Seagate ST31000340AS 1TB HDD, Seagate STBD4000400 4TB HDD, EVGA 500w Bronze Plus 80+ PSU - Bodhi Linux 3.2.1 64

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: conky, moksha, enlightenment, e17, e18, e19, e20

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users