weird possible virus

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Joseph Tracy

Joseph Tracy

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 31 January 2016 - 05:44 PM

I got my wife a small acer aspire netbook D270 mostly for email, word process and internet radio several years ago and managed to load it with bodhi 2. I was not a linux user and remain a pathetic novice.  But we managed to get it set up to her liking and bodhi has run beautifully since. She is very neat and habitual and she powered off as always last night. In the morning the computer was on, very weird, and it was a black screen full of letters with a recurring phrase to the effect of malfunction due to virus. She tried to get it to turn it off with the power button  but  when it didn't respond she finally unplugged it. 
   When the battery ran out it shut down. I plugged it in powered on and all worked as normal opening to bodhi.

Should I run a test  of some kind? Is there an anti-virus software package that will install on bodhi 2? Or should I assume that  whatever happened failed? 

A big thank you to everyone who contributes to Bodhi Linux

#2 hippytaff

hippytaff

• Members
  • 1269 posts
  • LocationWales, UK

Posted 01 February 2016 - 10:46 AM

That is weird. I read about this anti virus live cd the other day. I haven't used it, but it popped in my mind while I was reading your post and though it might be of some use.

http://antiviruslivecd.4mlinux.com/

Hippytaff - Trying to understand stuff since 1979

#3 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12328 posts
  • LocationBloomington, IL

Posted 01 February 2016 - 03:54 PM

Without more information it is impossible to know what the exact issue is. The screen you are describing could very easily be a piece of hardware failing causing kernel panic (not common in older machines).

If it happens again please snap a photo of the screen and share it here.

Cheers,

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users