A big thank you to everyone who contributes to Bodhi Linux

#2 The waiter

The waiter

Module Master

• Developer
  • 1427 posts
  • LocationBanska Bystrica, Slovakia

Posted 21 February 2016 - 09:13 AM

Hmm, I spent some time with your request and tried to install KODI locally from downloaded debs, but there are tons of dependencies which are not satisfied and I had to download them manually again and again. The easiest way to install it is with adding ppa to the list of repositories which is not very recommended due to our policy. I ended up with Musescore request as well, because it needed all QT5.3 stuff which could lead to some unpredictable issues. So my result is, I am probably not skilled too much to add it to our repo. Problem is there is only Jeff and me here who take care of our packages (I hope I am wrong). Anyway I will ask if is anybody here to help me with your request?

Sorry for that :(

#3 ylee

ylee

King of the Software Page

• Moderators
  • 1476 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina, USA

Posted 22 February 2016 - 11:17 AM

... Problem is there is only Jeff and me here who take care of our packages (I hope I am wrong). Anyway I will ask if is anybody here to help me with your request?

Sorry for that :(

You are wrong here of course I can add stuff to the repos. Sadly not at all sure when I will have time to even look at this. If it works from adding a ppa tho it is doable in all likelihood. Might make Bodhi unstable but I don't know that without a detailed look and testing. I might take a look in a week or so. No promises...

"No technology can ever be too arcane or complicated for the black t-shirt crowd."

#4 The waiter

The waiter

Module Master

• Developer
  • 1427 posts
  • LocationBanska Bystrica, Slovakia

Posted 22 February 2016 - 11:22 AM

Thanx ylee

#5 ylee

ylee

King of the Software Page

• Moderators
  • 1476 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina, USA

Posted 07 March 2016 - 12:40 PM

To add everything needed to make kodi work as well as provide any needed extra functionality requires  adding around 170 packages to Bodhis repo and that is only for i386 so to include 64 bit support also it boils down to up to 340 packages :( That is possible but more work and server space than needed. And this is ignoring translations/localization files. It would need to be redone for every update also. So I am not gonna go there.

To install this in Bodhi I would suggest adding the ppa even tho this goes against standard Bodhi advice. Or alternatively compile from source code. Do this ONLY if you are confident in dealing with potential issues resulting from it. You have been warned.

"No technology can ever be too arcane or complicated for the black t-shirt crowd."

#6 mdg2

mdg2

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 March 2016 - 01:49 AM

Thanks for looking into this.  I will just add the ppa and proceed at my own risk.

mdg2

#7 Trav87

Trav87

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 30 July 2016 - 11:00 AM

So from what I gathered prior to going forward with the addition is that a PPA is essentially to Linux what "allow unknown sources" is to Android...since it's based on the Linux kernel (if I'm wrong in thinking this I'd love for someone to point out my ignorance as I'm very new to Linux.)

This is probably a good place to point out that I'm fairly adventurous.

So, following the instructions per the Kodi wiki I'm now pleasantly running Kodi Jarvis, so far with no crashes etc. I've been a fan of the media platform since it's early days as XBMC but never realized just how low it's system spec tolerances were (512mb ram here.) I run Kodi on all my machines, which are all anywhere from a year to four years old, but I never imagined it would run flawlessly on a 10 year old machine.

Now, my noob question. Does adding a single PPA to the repositories open up a large security threat or is it more the policy to not add them in regards to not going hog-wild with lots of questionable PPAs? I've been working through a list of software I wanted on this system and Kodi was my last on the list, so the odds of me adding anymore are slim. This is more just and educational probe.

#8 James

James

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 13 August 2016 - 06:39 PM

I added it from the advice given on their site, works fine on an old self-refurbished emachines running Bodhi 3.2.1 64 bit, only had issues getting it to start at first, but now I have a separate user for Kodi and me to log into on that machine. Pretty straight forward, though I wouldn't do that with just anything, I think the old xbmc unmaintained versions are still in repos for Ubuntu. They don't get updated anymore, don't get their plugins updated anymore. Still works for what I do which is watch material I already have. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users