Close lid locks the screen only sometimes

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 FractalElephant

FractalElephant

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 19 February 2016 - 01:52 PM

I would like my notebook (ThinkPad T400) to go to sleep and immediately lock the screen when I close the lid. So I put three settings:

Screen/Blanking: Enable, Suspend on blank, Suspend even if AC

Screen/Screen Lock: Lock on Suspend

Input/ACPI Bindings: Lid Closed -> Suspend Now (also tried Suspend, with the same result)

But it still seems to be a random effect. More often than not, the display is innocently unlocked when I open the lid again. I can't figure out what might be the reason. Before Bodhi, I used E20 (98% sure that it was not E19. Forgot by now, sorry), and it worked every time there. Is this a known effect/issue?

(Unfortunately, I gotta go right now, but I'll be back later tonight to answer any other questions.)

Cheers

Remember that the last laugh is on you!

A big thank you to everyone who contributes to Bodhi Linux

#2 The waiter

The waiter

Module Master

• Developer
  • 1424 posts
  • LocationBanska Bystrica, Slovakia

Posted 19 February 2016 - 02:19 PM

I don not know your NTB but I had similar issues with my obsolete Lenovo S12 which was too old for the newest kernel. I used Bodhi Linux legacy version which is based on 3.2 kernel and it worked properly.

In general: try to play with different linux-image-extra

Enjoy

#3 FractalElephant

FractalElephant

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 19 February 2016 - 07:39 PM

I will, thanks for the tip. Can I just apt-get remove/install them like any other package?

#4 graywizardlinux

graywizardlinux

Bodhi Supporter

• Members
  • 720 posts

Posted 19 February 2016 - 09:27 PM

http://forums.bodhil...or-hibernation/

charles helped me out - is this what you are looking for????  if not - sorry....

#5 graywizardlinux

graywizardlinux

Bodhi Supporter

• Members
  • 720 posts

Posted 19 February 2016 - 10:39 PM

personally i suspend the thinkpad and do not just close the laptop - never tried it.  did on another distro and no issues.  but choose to suspend manually.  hibernate - also have done but do it manually too have to press the start button to wake it up though.

not sure what is correct - choose suspend or just close the lid - close the lid works in OS X.

#6 Charles@Bodhi

Charles@Bodhi

Old Faithful

• Moderators
  • 4312 posts
  • LocationZeist, The Netherlands

Posted 20 February 2016 - 07:05 PM

Hmm, ACPI bindings seem not to work too well in the latest Moksha for some people, including me.

As a workaround I installed a "third-party" powermanager that worked for me. 

sudo apt-get install --no-install-recommends xfce4-power-manager

This clean little app runs a daemon that should be added to the startup applications (it is in the list as Power Manager) and it produces an icon in the systray. Right-clicking that icon shows you some commands and a settings entry where you can manage how closing the lid should act and some more. I think it can meet your needs, when not, just uninstall it.

Enjoy,

Charles

Medion S4216 Ultrabook, 4GB RAM, 1TB HDD, WIN 10 & Bodhi 2.4.0-64 & Bodhi 3.0.0-64 

Asus eeepc 901, 1GB RAM, 12 GB SSD, Bodhi 2.4.0-32 non-pae & Bodhi 3.0.0-32-Legacy

#7 FractalElephant

FractalElephant

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 21 February 2016 - 12:17 AM

http://forums.bodhil...or-hibernation/

charles helped me out - is this what you are looking for????  if not - sorry....

I already have these options set. Except for the "on startup" one, which is already working for me without having the box ticked.

sudo apt-get install --no-install-recommends xfce4-power-manager

This clean little app runs a daemon that should be added to the startup applications (it is in the list as Power Manager) and it produces an icon in the systray. Right-clicking that icon shows you some commands and a settings entry where you can manage how closing the lid should act and some more.

Thanks! I installed it, and well, it does seem to work - except for my desired "lock on suspend" option. ;) So maybe it's not an application issue here.

I'll try The Waiter's tip next, and set up a live usb to see how the legacy kernel does. Or maybe I'll poke at a few linux-image-extra versions first.

#8 aka jazz

aka jazz

• Banned
  • 611 posts

Posted 21 February 2016 - 05:36 AM

We can start with a snapshot of your installed version of power manager; here is my installed version

Screenshots of e17 at the Gallerie des shedied and here for just one only. Incidentally,why don't you try our friendly IRC channel for some help? (link up top) or watch an e-ducational clip that's 2 and a half minutes long

#9 FractalElephant

FractalElephant

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 21 February 2016 - 09:41 PM

We can start with a snapshot of your installed version of power manager; here is my installed version

Ok :) Mine is 1.2.0-3ubuntu4.1

#10 housingpoet

housingpoet

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 January 2017 - 06:28 AM

Hi. Working on the same problem, and I installed xfce4-power-manager and added Power Manager to my startup applications. Now when I start up I get a dialog that says, "Xfce4 Power Manager is not running, do you want to launch it now?" If I answer yes the tool seems to work fine, but unfortunately it does not solve my problem: the lock screen still does not come up when I open my laptop lid. Do I have Xfce4 Power Manager set up the wrong way? The dialog box makes me think I do not.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users