• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Vijay Hiremath

Vijay Hiremath

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 15 April 2016 - 04:24 PM

Hello There,

I am Vijay from India. I am not new to linux but definitely a newbie for Bodhi.

I have tried almost all the well known(according to distrowatch) distros, but non of them were suiting my requirement. Either they were too bare bone(Arch) or bloated(Linux Mint) with unnecessary software(according to my requirement)

My requirements were pretty simple editor(Vim), gcc and some libraries. I wanted stable and fast system environment.

Bodhi exactly fits in my requirements. I love the way it works , there is no log in opening the apps. there are useful features

like shades, shell(still i am exploring). but in little use Bodhi impressed me a lot.

I would like to thank all the Bodhi community members who made such an awesome product.

I would not only like to use bodhi linux but love to contribute to it.

Kindly guide me how do i start with Bodhi Linux?

Thanks In advance.

Regards,

Vijay Hiremath

A big thank you to everyone who contributes to Bodhi Linux

#2 graywizardlinux

graywizardlinux

Bodhi Supporter

• Members
  • 1012 posts

Posted 15 April 2016 - 05:36 PM

Greetings! namaste!  Ap Kasai hai!

Enjoy Bodhi!

#3 Belikewater

Belikewater

• Members
  • 90 posts

Posted 16 April 2016 - 05:58 AM

Welcome to the forum. I love Bodhi! I am new to Linux and new to Bodhi, but after stumbling upon Bodhi, I dont feel the need for anything else. So far everything is running smoothly. There is a lot for me to learn and some things for me to work on, but the learning is fun and I love the challenge of learning this distro.

Always be yourself, express yourself, have faith in yourself, do not go out and look for a successful personality and duplicate it [Bruce Lee]

#4 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12416 posts
  • LocationBloomington, IL

Posted 17 April 2016 - 07:37 PM

Welcome to the boards mate. We are always looking for folks to help with different things ranging from everything from writing software to updating wiki pages. Let us know how you are looking to contribute and we are happy to get you started.

#5 Vijay Hiremath

Vijay Hiremath

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 18 April 2016 - 04:28 PM

Thank you all for your warm welcome messages.

@Jeff, I am proficient at C and decent at c++ and assembly.

Basically i am a system programmer.

I don't have much idea about python, but i would love to learn it.

Kindly guide me, how do i get started with bodhi!

Regards,

Vijay Hiremath

#6 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12416 posts

Posted 18 April 2016 - 07:28 PM

As far as C goes Moksha's core is built on top of E17 which is 100% C. You can find the source for this on github here -> https://github.com/JeffHoogland/moksha

There are a few open issues that need tackling if you'd like to take a crack at them - or if you are looking for something smaller to start I have a small TODO list of some code clean up I have not gotten around to just yet due to other work commitments. Was planning to hack them out this summer, but if you have time and want to help out I would not mind delegating some of those tasks :)

As far as python goes, I have a short tutorial series I will eventually expand more on that you can find here -> https://github.com/J.../elm-tutorials¬†

If you understand a bit of python and work through those you are likely more than ready to contribute a bit to the few custom tools we maintain for Bodhi written using the Elementary toolkit. My summer project with regards to this is going to be hopefully finishing up the Swami control panel which I would not mind some help with.

#7 Vijay Hiremath

Vijay Hiremath

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 03:39 PM

Hello jeff,
I am good to go with open issues. If you feel I should start with clean up code I am happy to do that.
I need bit help in setting up the git repository. And regarding starting with Python I will work parallel.

Let me know how will I get to do list or open issues. Whatever you feel appropriate!

Regards,
Vijay Hiremath

#8 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12416 posts

Posted 20 April 2016 - 12:18 PM

Here is the list of open issues for moksha currently -> https://github.com/J...d/moksha/issues

This is the one that causes users the most frustration -> https://github.com/J...ksha/issues/28¬†

Need to figure out how to remove the randr bits from Moksha so it doesn't try to control anything itself.

#9 Vijay Hiremath

Vijay Hiremath

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 25 April 2016 - 03:51 PM

Jeff i am going through enlightenment docs, they have really good start up material.

But is it possible to make the similar guide to start up moksha?

I mean at least what's the exact plan you people have for Moksha?

It will take time initially to cover the basics then get started with development.

But if you have solid start up guide, it would be bit helpful for novice.

what's your opinion? 

Regards,

Vijay Hiremath

#10 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12416 posts

Posted 25 April 2016 - 05:39 PM

Have a link to the guide you are referring to? Aside from some of the API things that are different between the E bases, much of it should be applicable to moksha.

#11 newhere

newhere

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 06 June 2016 - 08:39 PM

Hey Vijay! I'm from India too! :) So nice to see more of us here! :)

Is there any way to get Open Source For You mag to put Bodhi on the cover disc more often? :)

Hope you contribute some good code over here, man! :)

#12 Vijay Hiremath

Vijay Hiremath

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 07 June 2016 - 02:24 AM

Is there any way to get Open Source For You mag to put Bodhi on the cover disc more often? :)

#13 Vijay Hiremath

Vijay Hiremath

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 07 June 2016 - 02:24 AM

#14 Vijay Hiremath

Vijay Hiremath

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 07 June 2016 - 02:28 AM

Hello newhere,

Welcome to forum.

I do read open source for you. But not sure how they choose the distro for every edition.

I am yet to start contributing.

Hope you are enjoying bodhi linux

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users