12 replies to this topic

#1 Siggi

Siggi

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • LocationLeipzig

Posted 18 May 2016 - 02:53 PM

Minor issue, but hampering nonetheless.

When I enter the Pw in esudo, the letters are shown for a second, then appear as asterisk. If I press enter right after the last key, before it is transformed to asterisk, the pw is not accepted. That means I always have to wait for at least 1 second when demanding root rights the graphical way, hampering workflow.

Thanks for the great Distro

A big thank you to everyone who contributes to Bodhi Linux

#2 aka jazz

aka jazz

• Banned
  • 611 posts

Posted 18 May 2016 - 06:05 PM

Perhaps it is time to simplify matters by making the correct entries in the sudoers file I have improved my workflow long ago by using yeahconsole for any task that requires admin privileges

Screenshots of e17 at the Gallerie des shedied and here for just one only. Incidentally,why don't you try our friendly IRC channel for some help? (link up top) or watch an e-ducational clip that's 2 and a half minutes long

#3 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12524 posts
  • LocationBloomington, IL

Posted 19 May 2016 - 12:23 AM

What are the specs on the system in question? I don't see a delay like this on any of my personal systems.

Welcome to the boards.

#4 aka jazz

aka jazz

• Banned
  • 611 posts

Posted 20 May 2016 - 12:46 AM

might seem like a follow up to jeff's query, but if this is a desktop pc, is the keyboard a bluetooth keyboard or wireless keyboard?

Screenshots of e17 at the Gallerie des shedied and here for just one only. Incidentally,why don't you try our friendly IRC channel for some help? (link up top) or watch an e-ducational clip that's 2 and a half minutes long

#5 Siggi

Siggi

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • LocationLeipzig

Posted 27 May 2016 - 02:22 PM

This is a Medion Akoya E 1210, basically a rebranded MSI Wind 100

Not shure how to determine the exact Bodhi Version, but uname -a says:

Linux kurt-E1210 3.16.0-29-generic #39-Ubuntu SMP Tue Dec 16 20:53:40 UTC 2014 i686 i686 i686 GNU/Linux

#6 Siggi

Siggi

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • LocationLeipzig

Posted 27 May 2016 - 02:38 PM

@Aka Jazz:

"YeahConsole:

YeahConsole turns an xterm into a gamelike console.
This means it will slide down from top of your screen if you hit a shortcut key.
(You will need xterm version 168 or higher to make this happen)"

As drop down terminal I use Guake. But my question was for the graphical sudo esudo, as starting GUIs from terminal is discouraged: "You should never use normal sudo to start graphical applications as root." (https://help.ubuntu....Graphical_sudo)

#7 ylee

ylee

King of the Software Page

• Moderators
  • 1585 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina, USA

Posted 27 May 2016 - 10:51 PM

@Siggi if esudo does not suit you then dump it and go back to gksudo, either that or fix the code so it is more to your liking. regardless i have never noticed the issues you note even on my underpowered netbook ... but anyways i prefer gksudo and pkexec ...

if you need help figuring out how to remove esudo form Bodhi and go back to gksudo maybe I will look into that for you. I figure uninstalling esudo may remove bodhi's desktop

"No technology can ever be too arcane or complicated for the black t-shirt crowd."

#8 ylee

ylee

• Moderators
  • 1585 posts

Posted 27 May 2016 - 10:56 PM

... as starting GUIs from terminal is discouraged: "You should never use normal sudo to start graphical applications as root." (https://help.ubuntu....Graphical_sudo)

Well for the record that depends on things such as the app in question and other details not worth my time explaining. So yes officially it is best to use gksudo or something like it (esudo) unless you know what you are doing ;)

"No technology can ever be too arcane or complicated for the black t-shirt crowd."

#9 Siggi

Siggi

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • LocationLeipzig

Posted 16 June 2016 - 10:29 AM

@Siggi if esudo does not suit you then dump it and go back to gksudo, either that or fix the code so it is more to your liking. regardless i have never noticed the issues you note even on my underpowered netbook ... but anyways i prefer gksudo and pkexec ...

if you need help figuring out how to remove esudo form Bodhi and go back to gksudo maybe I will look into that for you. I figure uninstalling esudo may remove bodhi's desktop

Tried installing gksudo (which is marked as intalled but gksu and gksudo are replaced by esudo). Apt-get says

"Replaced by files in installed package esudo (1.38bodhi2)"

and the files gksu and gksudo don't appear.

However. I don't seem to be the only one wanting to remove esudo:

http://forums.bodhil...le-des/?p=95450

#10 ylee

ylee

• Moderators
  • 1585 posts

Posted 16 June 2016 - 09:06 PM

Tried installing gksudo (which is marked as intalled but gksu and gksudo are replaced by esudo). Apt-get says

"Replaced by files in installed package esudo (1.38bodhi2)"

and the files gksu and gksudo don't appear.

However. I don't seem to be the only one wanting to remove esudo:

http://forums.bodhil...le-des/?p=95450

You can't just install gksudo or uninstall esudo. It takes some knowledge of what is going on to rip esudo out of bodhi and then replace it with gksudo. 

#11 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12524 posts
  • LocationBloomington, IL

Posted 24 June 2016 - 12:10 AM

Esudo is part of the meta package that installs all of the Bodhi desktop. If you want it gone you will need to manually install just the bits and pieces of Moksha that you want.

#12 Elw3

Elw3

• Moderators
  • 1769 posts

Posted 24 June 2016 - 04:19 AM

You could add the download only flag to apt, you will get a .deb file which in fact is an archive you can extract. just place the gksudo file in there in your /usr/bin/ dir.  

I am also pretty sure that this lag is caused by your theme. I saw that before on "everything" and terminologie: Specific theme causing a specific lag of fixed time on specific hardware regardless of specs and load (not reproducable on other maschines).

On my case "everything" lags exactly a half second on amd fx cpus when the bodhi theme is loaded.

Why? Magic i assume.

Try to change your theme. 

As drop down terminal I use Guake. But my question was for the graphical sudo esudo, as starting GUIs from terminal is discouraged: "You should never use normal sudo to start graphical applications as root."

The difference of sudo and gksudo is that gksudo stops programs from writing in your /home and thus protects your config files. In real live it makes absolutely zero difference unless you want to start a web browser as root, but really you have greater problems than config files if you do so. 

Bad Wolf

#13 DOOMguy

DOOMguy

• Members
  • 236 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 05:59 PM

there is the alternative, make an entry in the sudoers file (mentioned earlier in this thread); not only will it save you time & trouble. Just make sure you know what you're doing

Unsolicited advice for learning linux, that won't cost you anything

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: esudo, workflow

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users