keyboard language

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 AK7000000

AK7000000

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 June 2016 - 12:19 PM

I have been installed Bodhi 3.2.1 and i couldn't find any way to add another keyboard language, please guide me.

Not any keyboard module in:

Settings >> All. Modules >> Utilities.

Settings >> All >> Input

A big thank you to everyone who contributes to Bodhi Linux

#2 Belikewater

Belikewater

• Members
  • 90 posts

Posted 12 June 2016 - 01:29 PM

I am having trouble finding where to change keyboard language. I did find if you use everything command and type in input> then kev bindings> on the right panel if you scroll down you see keyboard layout. Still trying to locate a way to change the language.

Always be yourself, express yourself, have faith in yourself, do not go out and look for a successful personality and duplicate it [Bruce Lee]

#3 The waiter

The waiter

Module Master

• Developer
  • 1657 posts
  • LocationBanska Bystrica, Slovakia

Posted 12 June 2016 - 01:40 PM

I think I am competent to answer this question:

Keyboard module was get rid from the latest releases as it was buggy. Fortunately I found a solution how to fix it so now just install deb package keyboard-moksha-fix and load it in module section. After this, just add up to max 4 layouts for your needs.

Enjoy :)

http://forums.bodhil...-module-fix-v2/

#4 AK7000000

AK7000000

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 June 2016 - 08:30 PM

I think I am competent to answer this question:

Keyboard module was get rid from the latest releases as it was buggy. Fortunately I found a solution how to fix it so now just install deb package keyboard-moksha-fix and load it in module section. After this, just add up to max 4 layouts for your needs.

Enjoy :)

http://forums.bodhil...-module-fix-v2/

ŁThanks, It works fine now.

#5 Suncatcher

Suncatcher

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 10 July 2016 - 01:08 PM

As you proposed here, I duplicate my question in this thread. Is this possible to make keyboard icon reflex layout changes (with the fix you proposed)? Now layouts are properly switched but is not seen by module.

P.S. moksha-keyboard-fix is installed

#6 The waiter

The waiter

Module Master

• Developer
  • 1657 posts

Posted 10 July 2016 - 08:06 PM

It was just a workaround. After some time I fixed buggy keyboard module so use this one. Only one drawback of this solution is you can add only max 4 layouts...

#7 Suncatcher

Suncatcher

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 31 July 2016 - 06:26 PM

So no full-featured solution is available yet? And when it will be if ever?

#8 The waiter

The waiter

Module Master

• Developer
  • 1657 posts

Posted 01 August 2016 - 05:48 AM

Hmm, the Bodhi Linux team has released Bodhi Linux 4.0 alpha release which is based on Ubuntu 16.06. I have read in this Ubuntu version should be solved that up to 4 layouts limit issue. I have just tried this module under BL 4.0 and must say, no, unfortunately the module still works correctly just with max 4 layouts. Hmm, we really need to look at this module closely. Of course it needs some time, knowledge and luck sometimes...

Stefan 

#9 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12522 posts
  • LocationBloomington, IL

Posted 01 August 2016 - 09:07 AM

What is the practical use case for needing more than four keyboard layouts to switch between quickly?

#10 The waiter

The waiter

Module Master

• Developer
  • 1657 posts

Posted 01 August 2016 - 11:40 AM

I feel some people could want this feature. The only problem I can see the module is weirdly coded. It uses setxkbmap with layout list as parameter. It should be recoded on item callback. Each layout = each run command. And this is the problem. I need to understand the code, rewrite it and what is worst, this is a part of the Moksha core (not standalone module). Jeff's question is OK. Is this worth our effort...?

#11 Suncatcher

Suncatcher

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 01 August 2016 - 03:00 PM

I feel some people could want this feature. The only problem I can see the module is weirdly coded. It uses setxkbmap with layout list as parameter. It should be recoded on item callback. Each layout = each run command. And this is the problem. I need to understand the code, rewrite it and what is worst, this is a part of the Moksha core (not standalone module). Jeff's question is OK. Is this worth our effort...?

Maybe it is not worth it if the target audience is only me. I am so used to hotkey-switching 6 languages in Windows that I decided to implement this scenario here. That is the practical use for me.

However, I assumed Bodhi is built on Ubuntu 14/16 codebase (where this problem is solved) and one shouldn't involve any additional coding to do this, just port the code. Maybe something went wrong if your module broke Ubuntu keyboard major functionality?

#12 The waiter

The waiter

Module Master

• Developer
  • 1657 posts

Posted 01 August 2016 - 10:06 PM

Suncatcher: I have made a significant progress with keyboard module. After spending all evening coding all layouts are available now. There is no limit in number of layouts. I have a version where only switching by mouse is possible but all functional. Now I need to solve switching by keyboard...

:)

Stefan

http://i.imgur.com/BT0fKg1.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users