Bodhi suddenly won't boot to gui

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Alurpal

Alurpal

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 July 2016 - 09:00 PM

Hello all, I've spent a few hours googling and am hoping you fine people can lend me a hand. I'll try to be as specific as possible. I've been running bodhi on my acer c720 for quite a while now. I did the write protect screw mod as well. Everything's been running smoothly for months.

Today, I was exiting from a shell and all of a sudden the window top bars from every open application disappeared along with the main task manager bar.

I rebooted.

The bodhi splash screen comes up and then just goes to black.

I can hit esc at the spash screen and see the boot process stop at: "0000:00:1d.0 * Starting Timidity++ alsa midi execution... [ok]

From here I'm able to Ctrl + alt <- (which is to the right of esc) and log in via tty

When I try and run "enlightenment_start" it stops at: "enlightenment cannot initialize encore_x! E17: begin shutdown procedure!"

I'm running bodhi 2.4.0 / linux 3.11.0-15-generic #23~precise1-Ubuntu i386

Also interesting to note that some of the getdeb.bodhilinux.com urls are returning 404 when I run apt-get update.

Any have any ideas where I can start?

A big thank you to everyone who contributes to Bodhi Linux

#2 Randy

Randy

Bodhi-Care

• Members
  • 637 posts
  • LocationFort Wayne, IN USA

Posted 09 July 2016 - 11:35 PM

This might be a shot in the dark with all the different issues you are having. But I can't tell you how many times I have for no apparent reason been greeted with the black screen. I would suggest you start with the display manager. From your tty console try installing slim. It is a light weight display manager with few dependencies and you can use it to make sure lightdm is not the culprit.

I believe the command is

sudo apt-get install slim

Hope this helps.

Randy Fry

Linux Addict!

#3 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12437 posts
  • LocationBloomington, IL

Posted 11 July 2016 - 08:56 AM

Start by trying to reset your desktop settings by moving your ~/.e directory from your tty login. A simple:

cd
mv .e .e_bk

Should do it.

The enlightenment_start command will only work if you have an active X server running, so that response from it is normal / expected.

As for your comment about the getdeb repo - that is something we used to provide a mirror for, but do not any longer. You can find the official versions of those repos here -> http://www.getdeb.net/welcome/

Also keep in mind that Bodhi's 2.x.y branch has less than a year left until it hits end of life.

Welcome to the boards mate.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users