34 replies to this topic

#1 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12493 posts
  • LocationBloomington, IL

Posted 20 July 2016 - 08:04 PM

Stefan and Ylee have been working on an awesome new clipboard module for Moksha and you can now install it (for testing) on your Bodhi 3.x or 4.x install with the command:

sudo apt-get install moksha-clipboard

Screenshot

Source Code / Issue Reporting

A big thank you to everyone who contributes to Bodhi Linux

#2 The waiter

The waiter

Module Master

• Developer
  • 1615 posts
  • LocationBanska Bystrica, Slovakia

Posted 20 July 2016 - 09:27 PM

Thanx Jeff for introducing our project. Yes, it is very young project which needs some testings although we know some glitches. But I believe thanx to Robert's (Ylee) professional approach and admirable skills we will get over them and offer another nice stuff for Bodhi community :)

PS: any devel help is appreciated

#3 ylee

ylee

King of the Software Page

• Moderators
  • 1574 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina, USA

Posted 21 July 2016 - 02:23 PM

I am not at all sure this module is ready for "prime time", but it certainly needs some people to test its functionality and stability. I am doing way more coding than testing. However much I agree with the idea of Test-driven development, never really quite understood how to apply unit tests to GUI development much less enlightenment modules. Some functions needed yes but anyways I digress...

I flat out expect some issues, I know of several myself altho one would be not noticeable to the end user, also not a big deal either. A fix for that one I will commit soon. 

So thanks Jeff for packaging it and adding it to the repos. That certainly is a way to get people to tests its functionality against a wide range of software and usage patterns :) Stefan or me either one was going to package it whenever I thought it was stable enough to call an Official Beta release. Me being somewhat of a perfectionist who knows when that would have been. Stefan on the other hand has been wanting to package it and announce here for a few weeks.

By the way I love that line in the screenshot: "SEGFAULT is not appropriate error handling." Oh the joys of c programming :( 

"No technology can ever be too arcane or complicated for the black t-shirt crowd."

#4 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12493 posts

Posted 21 July 2016 - 03:19 PM

Nothing makes me appreciate python more than working in C.

#5 Randy

Randy

Bodhi-Care

• Members
  • 646 posts
  • LocationFort Wayne, IN USA

Posted 26 July 2016 - 04:35 PM

So far the only bug I've noticed, is that I have to copy everything twice before it will paste. This occurs in WPS office, Firefox, Epad and about everywhere else.

Randy Fry

Linux Addict!

#6 The waiter

The waiter

Module Master

• Developer
  • 1615 posts

Posted 26 July 2016 - 07:05 PM

Hmm, do not understand. If you select a text and copy with CTRL C or from context menu, it does not add to clipboard history? I have no problem with this. If possible, can you be more specific to reproduce your issue here?

#7 Randy

Randy

Bodhi-Care

• Members
  • 646 posts

Posted 26 July 2016 - 09:11 PM

If I have the module on, I have to click the right context menu "copy" twice on a selection before it will paste. I don't have that issue if I use ctrl+c, If I turn off the module all is normal.

Randy Fry

Linux Addict!

#8 ylee

ylee

• Moderators
  • 1574 posts

Posted 26 July 2016 - 10:25 PM

So far the only bug I've noticed, is that I have to copy everything twice before it will paste. This occurs in WPS office, Firefox, Epad and about everywhere else.

I haven't tested against wps office briefly against Ff but it should work perfect in e-pad. All testing is done against the default theme. So my question is what theme are you using? If it is not the default theme change themes to default and test again. If the issue persist unload the module and to be certain everything is freed cleared and so on reboot. Now load the module and test again. 

I have not tested against any theme but the default. Any theme that borks the module is in some sense broken if it works using the default theme. That is my philosophy  on coding this module.

"No technology can ever be too arcane or complicated for the black t-shirt crowd."

#9 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12493 posts

Posted 27 July 2016 - 04:11 AM

I am not having to copy twice here with the clipboard module under the moonlight or radiance themes. 

#10 The waiter

The waiter

Module Master

• Developer
  • 1615 posts

Posted 27 July 2016 - 06:24 AM

Hmm, I removed the Clipboard gadget from the shelf and let only module work and still no issues under Green theme. Randy: try to delete history file located in .local/share/clipboard and all config files in .e/e/config/bodhi/module.clipboard*. We will see if this can help...

Stefan

BTW: our project is some commits ahead against package in repository and some glitches had been solved there. I am not sure it is related to your troubles, though. Anyway could be worth trying... 

#11 Randy

Randy

Bodhi-Care

• Members
  • 646 posts

Posted 27 July 2016 - 09:09 AM

I have a mix of about 3  themes.  Agenesis2 , Default, Moksha Radience. If I can remember how to reset them to where they are I will reset the theme and retest clipboard. I have a feeling Ylee's right about the theme. Probably the Agenesis2. I will also do as Stephan asked after I reset the theme if that does not work.

Randy Fry

Linux Addict!

#12 Randy

Randy

Bodhi-Care

• Members
  • 646 posts

Posted 30 July 2016 - 12:55 AM

I one by one changed themes and also deleted the files Stephan requested. But the bug still persists. If I use the keyboard all works as should. But If I use the right click context with the mouse I have to click copy twice before it will paste. If I'm the only one having this issue, then it must be something to do with my personal setup of Bodhi. But at least if it comes up again from another user you'll have prior knowledge. And then it might warrant further investigation.

Randy Fry

Linux Addict!

#13 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12493 posts

Posted 30 July 2016 - 02:18 AM

Which applications is the right click menu needing to be used twice? Just one or all of them? What happens when you de-select the text after using the copy in the menu?

#14 The waiter

The waiter

Module Master

• Developer
  • 1615 posts

Posted 30 July 2016 - 06:12 AM

Hmm, interesting. Try to copy .e folder somewhere as backup and delete this folder. Log out and log in. Although your setting is gone, you have got an empty desktop ready for testing. If it wont help, just return backup folder back. Another solution is installing bodhi under virtual box and trying module in the clear installation. Maybe this info will help you

#15 Randy

Randy

Bodhi-Care

• Members
  • 646 posts

Posted 30 July 2016 - 08:36 AM

Which applications is the right click menu needing to be used twice? Just one or all of them? What happens when you de-select the text after using the copy in the menu?

It happens in all applications. De-selecting text works like it should.

Hmm, interesting. Try to copy .e folder somewhere as backup and delete this folder. Log out and log in. Although your setting is gone, you have got an empty desktop ready for testing. If it wont help, just return backup folder back. Another solution is installing bodhi under virtual box and trying module in the clear installation. Maybe this info will help you

It is mostly just an annoyance. I can use the keyboard. I am partial to my setup and even if it is an e setting I'd rather live with it than turn something off. If this ever shows up as a problem for someone else, I will make it a priority to help hunt it down. My luck it's probably the glass icon set I'm using or the touchpad-indicator I use to turn of the touchpad when I use a regular mouse.

Edit: Just an additional note. I installed parcilite clipboard manager, and it works normally. And it's not the icon set.

Randy Fry

Linux Addict!

#16 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12493 posts

Posted 30 July 2016 - 10:19 AM

So to confirm - if you copy text using the right click menu, and then deselect said text it appears in the clipboard tool properly without having to use the copy menu again?

If you back up your .e folder you can always put your existing settings easily back by simply moving it back to where it was after debugging ;)

#17 Randy

Randy

Bodhi-Care

• Members
  • 646 posts

Posted 30 July 2016 - 10:29 AM

So to confirm - if you copy text using the right click menu, and then deselect said text it appears in the clipboard tool properly without having to use the copy menu again?

If you back up your .e folder you can always put your existing settings easily back by simply moving it back to where it was after debugging ;)

Yes it copies to the clipboard tool no problem. It is just not available to paste until I copy again. And if I click on it in the modules history it still is not available to paste with the mouse.

Ok  I'll back up and try with new .e

Randy Fry

Linux Addict!

#18 ylee

ylee

• Moderators
  • 1574 posts

Posted 30 July 2016 - 10:33 AM

@Randy, I am currently out of town and while I have my little netbook with me it is not optimal for dev work and besides I am prior obligations here. But anyways i am interested in whatever is causing this issue you are having. I was unable to reproduce it but if you determine it is not something borked in your .e profile maybe we can work together latter on ... this weekend or next week or something to help debug this. Even if it is caused by your e settings unless they are 'corrupt' I would like to get to the exact cause of the issue.

#19 Randy

Randy

Bodhi-Care

• Members
  • 646 posts

Posted 30 July 2016 - 10:41 AM

@Randy, I am currently out of town and while I have my little netbook with me it is not optimal for dev work and besides I am prior obligations here. But anyways i am interested in whatever is causing this issue you are having. I was unable to reproduce it but if you determine it is not something borked in your .e profile maybe we can work together latter on ... this weekend or next week or something to help debug this. Even if it is caused by your e settings unless they are 'corrupt' I would like to get to the exact cause of the issue.

I just tried a new .e directory and the problem still persists.  I will do whatever I can to help just let me know when. And with resetting e the only thing I changed from the default setup was to turn on the clipboard module, and add it to the shelf.

Randy Fry

Linux Addict!

#20 Randy

Randy

Bodhi-Care

• Members
  • 646 posts

Posted 30 July 2016 - 11:05 AM

I'm glad I thought to make a custom profile. When I copied my old .e back it still loaded the default bodhi profile. It didn't save my settings.

Randy Fry

Linux Addict!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users