15 replies to this topic

#1 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12524 posts
  • LocationBloomington, IL

Posted 27 July 2016 - 04:16 AM

Anyone with an existing Ubuntu 16.04 based install can add the Bodhi repos with the following line in your sources.list file:

http://packages.bodhilinux.com/bodhi xenial b4main

You can install the Bodhi's Moksha desktop with the command:

sudo apt-get install bodhi-desktop

Note everything in here is considered unstable until mentioned otherwise. Alpha ISO images soon if all goes as planned.

A big thank you to everyone who contributes to Bodhi Linux

#2 birdmun

birdmun

• Members
  • 416 posts
  • LocationWabash, IN

Posted 27 July 2016 - 04:27 AM

Looking forward to those ISOs. I have a laptop running 2.4 and it is in need of a serious update. I hate to go to 3.2.1 when 4.0 is so close. :)

#3 tuk0z

tuk0z

• Members
  • 49 posts
  • LocationLondon >.< Paris

Posted 13 September 2016 - 07:35 PM

Sorry if this has been mentioned already (not on the announcement post or in this forum I believe), are there instructions on how to upgrade from a running Bodhi 3.2.1?

I'll try to replace the *buntu and Bodhi repos in apt/source.list and see. If that works I'll join you testers!

I just realized Bodhi does use less power on my netbook than already super efficient Arch... geez <3

Seeding Bodhi v4.2 Legacy: 3.50 GiB up to now.

#4 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12524 posts

Posted 13 September 2016 - 08:34 PM

We do not support direct upgrades from previous Bodhi versions. Ubuntu upgrades do not always go smoothly and rather than try to troubleshoot unforeseen package states we are simply recommending users reinstall their OS to 4.0.0 as we always do with a new major release.

• sef likes this

#5 tuk0z

tuk0z

• Members
  • 49 posts
  • LocationLondon >.< Paris

Posted 15 September 2016 - 07:18 PM

Ah! I bet re-installing is the way then (as freaking unnatural as it may feel to a rolling distro user).

Out of curiosity I did as said on a Bodhi 3.2.1 VM I have. Backed it up, launched 4.0.0alpha2, copied its apt/source.list, launched stable, replaced repos with 4.0.0's then '% do-release upgrade && aptitude full-upgrade'.

That downloaded 550 MB packages only (I get that a couple times every week on Arch) and went seemingly very well!

...Only is it not fully updated, on the conf side because of the way Debian-based distros handle them in such a conservative stable way, I bet. Anyway here are Bodhi 4.0.0alpha2 updated from stable and Bodhi 4.0.0alpha2 live updated. Can you see some differences?

3.2.1 upgraded to 4.0alpha2:

zvf.png

Bodhi 4.0.0alpha2 updated

yvf.png

I just realized Bodhi does use less power on my netbook than already super efficient Arch... geez <3

Seeding Bodhi v4.2 Legacy: 3.50 GiB up to now.

#6 Flymo

Flymo

Diamond Geezer

• Members
  • 235 posts
  • LocationCentral Victoria, Australia

Posted 17 September 2016 - 08:53 AM

Hi folks!

Bodhi 4.0.0 Alpha 2 64-bit runs very smoothly when installed (or live) on our bargain deal HP 455 laptop (AMD A10-7300 Radeon R6  APU, 10 compute cores, upgraded to SSD) with no obvious problems. Speedy? Oh yes ... 

Bodhi 4.0.0 Alpha 2 64-bit (Live USB or CD) also runs well on our ancient (unmodified) Acer Aspire Revo (Intel Atom 330 - Nvidia Ion), but the installer hung up and quibbled soon after reporting on the filesystem.

I'm about to re-run that attempt now that our install media have been fully verified - same CD was used to install it successfully on this HP 455.  

On the Revo,  Bodhi 4.0.0 Alpha 2 32-bit  works well live from DVD or USB, but the installer hangs on the page with the option to download updates and/or install the proprietary stuff from Fraunhoefer etc.  

Tried all available options, with/without network etc,  but not gone past that point, yet.  Interesting.

Will report in the appropriate place (or yell for help) when we know more.  Might take a few days.

Historical note: this is the original  (bargain price, of course) puny Revo  on which we  first loaded  Bodhi 1.0  alongside Xubuntu...

Thanks so much, Jeff - and thanks to all who contribute to Bodhi.

Ben

#7 simon95

simon95

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 31 October 2016 - 08:36 AM

As above, when I have 3.2.1 version I cannot upgrade to 4.0 stable via command line? Is it really necessary to install it from the beginning via USB or CD/DVD?

Thank in advance for response.

#8 BALLOON a.k.a. Fu-sen.

BALLOON a.k.a. Fu-sen.

• Members
  • 123 posts

Posted 31 October 2016 - 12:41 PM

We can not perform the upgrade on the command line from 3.2.1 to 4.0.

It is because they too are also package different, re-installation is required.

#9 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12524 posts

Posted 31 October 2016 - 02:21 PM

As stated in the release post - in place upgrades are not supported. There is no rush to upgrade to Bodhi 4 - Bodhi 3 will have support until April 2019.

#10 daniel76

daniel76

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 03:20 PM

I am using Bodhi 3.2.1, Have a two questions:

- how to upgrade only Moksha to 0.2.1 ili newer from 0.2.0

- I today install Arc Darc theme for Moksha , but exist problem with shutdown buton in shelf (not work).

#11 The waiter

The waiter

Module Master

• Developer
  • 1659 posts
  • LocationBanska Bystrica, Slovakia

Posted 08 November 2017 - 05:40 PM

Hello

My team friends will answer your first question more precisely than me, but I just wonder what is the reason you want to switch to the latest Moksha. There are only minor changes to the Moksha 2.0 and the biggest change is a screenshot module which has been improved. 

The second question: Can you tell us more details about the problem? What does not work? No dialog after click? No items available in the dialog? 

EDIT: how did you install Arc Dark theme for BL 3.2.1? Have you added the repo link according the Jeff's first post or you downloaded package from packages.bodhilinux.com? I tried the second method with installing arc-theme package firstly as dep and I can not any issues here.

#12 daniel76

daniel76

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 06:16 PM

Hi,

no dialog after click, whether it matters that I installed the theme not from an appcentre, but by https://github.com/t...ment-arc-theme?

#13 The waiter

The waiter

Module Master

• Developer
  • 1659 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 06:21 PM

Did you follow the method mentioned under the git trees? I mean build and symbolic link?

In case of troubles install from this links:

http://packages.bodh...in/a/arc-theme/

http://packages.bodh...oksha-arc-dark/

#14 daniel76

daniel76

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 07:20 PM

Everything is perfect ! ...Thanks!

#15 The waiter

The waiter

Module Master

• Developer
  • 1659 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 07:29 PM

Enjoy :)

#16 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12524 posts

Posted 11 November 2017 - 01:24 AM

For Bodhi 3.x users reading this in the future - Moksha 0.2.1 is a new feature release and not a security fix - because of this it will not be back ported to the 3.x series. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users